• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Nations to ban religion?

Sonofason

Who decides what the Bible describes and prescribes? I've noticed some wildly divergent opinions on that subject.
Doesn't appear that Christians have much consensus on that.
Tom
Well, I can take on that job if you like.

Just get your President to initiate a new department of government...perhaps we can call it the department of divine censorship, and have him appoint me to the head of the department. And together we can make this country great again.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally don't have a problem with those two story-lines. If there are portions that undermine biblical principles, I think those portions ought to be removed. Do you know of any portions that I might think ought be removed? What are they? I thought the story by CS Lewis was rather marvelous, and creative. I recognized the biblical allegorical threads throughout the story immediately. Mere Christianity was one of my favorite readings.
Well I don't know what you would want banned, that's why I asked. Give me an example of an evil book and why it's evil. It's not an unreasonable request, is it? You stated you would ban books which undermines Biblical Vaues (which seems to change depending on which Christian you ask) so it's a little too vague. So please enlighten me, which books are evil.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well I don't know what you would want banned, that's why I asked. Give me an example of an evil book and why it's evil. It's not an unreasonable request, is it? You stated you would ban books which undermines Biblical Vaues (which seems to change depending on which Christian you ask) so it's a little too vague. So please enlighten me, which books are evil.
One of the books the local Christians wanted out of the library was the Harry Potter stuff. It teaches witchcraft and magic, which is totally unChristian.
Tom

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the books the local Christians wanted out of the library was the Harry Potter stuff. It teaches witchcraft and magic, which is totally unChristian.
Tom
lol Oh yeah. That debacle just made everyone laugh and embarrassed the Christians who actually read books. Again proving my earlier point that people who want books banned often have a hard time properly dissecting the material. One wonders how they did in English class, since that sort of thing is supposed to be taught there. I mean even I passed! So it can't be that difficult lol

I'd have an easier time of learning magic through Witch Hazel. I wonder then if Christians decried the Looney Tunes?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yeah too much backlash that way. They would probably support all religions, even create a few hundred more to water religion down and spread the people out, Then. Bible prophecy says the coming of the lawless one, he will exalt himself above everything called God or worshipped, as if he himself is God. So of course the UN, by then with real teeth, will be at his disposal. Though he may let everyone keep their own watered down religions, similiar to the Roman Empire, you must worship the Lawless one, much like Ceasar or Nebuchadnezzer of Babylon, but worse. Or be cut out of the system. "No man might buy or sell except who has the mark of the beast"

To me, the ' lawless one ', ' the son of perdition ', ' man of sin ' of 2 Thessalonians 2:3-8 is religious.
That 'one' (plural) who sits himself in the ' temple ' (verse 4) aka God's ' house' of worship is clerical.
He (collective false clergy) now seat themselves in their ' houses ' of worship acting as if they are God when in reality they are anti-God. While alive, the apostles acted as a restraint - Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30, but especially since our day ( Revelation 1:10 ) false clergy have gone unrestrained.

Both the religious and the political have been bed fellows. The religious supporting the political wars, etc.
Clergy even using the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that is the same as the Altar of God.

The UN sees a hauntingly dangerous religious climate brewing in today's world, especially with terrorism.
With backing, to me, the UN can be strengthened (getting more than real teeth but fangs) in order to become God's long arm of the Law to carry out His wishes to rid the Earth of false religious groups.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
This was a proposal submitted to the UN la few years back. The formulism site is now off line, but the formulism movement seems quite alive.

Quote:
The resolution is being proposed by Antony Last, founder of formulism.org, a site which claims that freedom FROM religion would be of far greater benefit to mankind than freedom OF religion.

Freedom from Religion | Proposed UN Resolution / Charter Amendment | Version 1.1

WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS HEREBY VOW
* to save succeeding generations from the scourge of organized religion, a folly which has brought untold sorrow to mankind through the division, hatred and conflict it engenders, and
* to reaffirm an individual's right to freedom of belief, freedom of conscience and freedom of prayer, and
* to establish conditions under which these freedoms can be privately exercised.
AND FOR THESE ENDS WE UNDERTAKE
1. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the public expression of religious beliefs, including the use of symbols, clothing or markings which are synonymous with any currently or previously existing religions.
2. To outlaw, with immediate effect, public acts of worship or religious declaration.
3. To outlaw, with immediate effect, private gatherings of three or more people for the purposes of engaging in acts of worship or religious services.
4. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the publication of books, literature or articles which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine.
5. To outlaw, after a period of amnesty, the personal ownership of books or materials which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine. (Books of academic or social interest will be made freely available to schools, universities and public libraries).
6. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the celebration of religiously significant dates.
7. To begin, with immediate effect, the destruction or reassignment of predominantly religious buildings, such as churches, mosques and temples.

See Revelation Chapters 17 & 18

Is that some dream?

Google the lyrics to John Lennon's Imagine

Take note of religious developments in Russia.

This sort of extreme oppression of faith was tried in USSR, North Korea, Communist China,

how'd that work out? good?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
To me, the ' lawless one ', ' the son of perdition ', ' man of sin ' of 2 Thessalonians 2:3-8 is religious.
That 'one' (plural) who sits himself in the ' temple ' (verse 4) aka God's ' house' of worship is clerical.
He (collective false clergy) now seat themselves in their ' houses ' of worship acting as if they are God when in reality they are anti-God. While alive, the apostles acted as a restraint - Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30, but especially since our day ( Revelation 1:10 ) false clergy have gone unrestrained.

Both the religious and the political have been bed fellows. The religious supporting the political wars, etc.
Clergy even using the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that is the same as the Altar of God.

The UN sees a hauntingly dangerous religious climate brewing in today's world, especially with terrorism.
With backing, to me, the UN can be strengthened (getting more than real teeth but fangs) in order to become God's long arm of the Law to carry out His wishes to rid the Earth of false religious groups.

Perhaps they will blame something on you and exterminate you too.

The pope supports a UN with real teeth. Caritas en Veritate p.67

67. In the face of the unrelenting growth of global interdependence, there is a strongly felt need, even in the midst of a global recession, for a reform of the United Nations Organization, and likewise of economic institutions and international finance, so that the concept of the family of nations can acquire real teeth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Perhaps they will blame something on you and exterminate you too.
The pope supports a UN with real teeth. Caritas en Veritate p.67

Does the ^ above ^ mean the pope supports with his real teeth, or the UN has real teeth.

Of course, the UN can blame something on me or anyone and ' try ' to exterminate anyone.
To me, Judgement starts with the collective religious house of God - 1 Peter 4:17
As a new broom sweeps clean, God will sweep clean, so to speak, troublesome religious groups.
To me, the reason Jesus will step in is because if anyone touches the 'pupil of God's eye' (figuratively speaking of faithful ones) then, the executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of wickedness.
- Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Does the ^ above ^ mean the pope supports with his real teeth, or the UN has real teeth.

Of course, the UN can blame something on me or anyone and ' try ' to exterminate anyone.
To me, Judgement starts with the collective religious house of God - 1 Peter 4:17
As a new broom sweeps clean, God will sweep clean, so to speak, troublesome religious groups.
To me, the reason Jesus will step in is because if anyone touches the 'pupil of God's eye' (figuratively speaking of faithful ones) then, the executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of wickedness.
- Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16
Yeah, what do you call yourself or is that just your own idea?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I do believe in objective truth. But I also believe that the objectivity of a matter is not always as obvious as some of us might think...myself included.

I like that second sentence. Too may people who believe in objective truth jump straight to 'And I know exactly what it is', which generally scares me.

Sonofason

I would say as an example that books that portray adulterous relationships as something to be admired and desired while disregarding the negative consequences on society, on children, and to the adulterers' relationship with God is something to be banned. I would suggest books portraying sexual encounters outside the confines of marriage that are beyond the necessity for educational purposes that undermine biblical principles ought to be banned. I can't really give you any real examples, because I don't read books like this. I read science books, and I read inspirational Christian books. I don't read fiction. I don't see the point. It's a waste of my time. And I certainly wouldn't want to read someone's auto-biography because I just don't care to know the details of someone's life, especially if it is a life full of debauchery.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yeah, what do you call yourself or is that just your own idea?

None of the Scriptural Christian verses I posted are my own idea.
1 Peter 4:17 shows to me there will be a spiritual house cleaning.
To me, Matthew 25:31-33,37 ' time of separation ' is still ahead of us.
What could be my own idea about Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16

Sonofason

If what I like matters,
You'd be up towards the top of the ban list. Not because you oppose freedom of speech and religion. Not because you're an orientation bigot. It would be the racist thing.
Tom
Yes, I too say things I regret.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This was a proposal submitted to the UN la few years back. The formulism site is now off line, but the formulism movement seems quite alive.

Quote:
The resolution is being proposed by Antony Last, founder of formulism.org, a site which claims that freedom FROM religion would be of far greater benefit to mankind than freedom OF religion.

Freedom from Religion | Proposed UN Resolution / Charter Amendment | Version 1.1

WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS HEREBY VOW
* to save succeeding generations from the scourge of organized religion, a folly which has brought untold sorrow to mankind through the division, hatred and conflict it engenders, and
* to reaffirm an individual's right to freedom of belief, freedom of conscience and freedom of prayer, and
* to establish conditions under which these freedoms can be privately exercised.
AND FOR THESE ENDS WE UNDERTAKE
1. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the public expression of religious beliefs, including the use of symbols, clothing or markings which are synonymous with any currently or previously existing religions.
2. To outlaw, with immediate effect, public acts of worship or religious declaration.
3. To outlaw, with immediate effect, private gatherings of three or more people for the purposes of engaging in acts of worship or religious services.
4. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the publication of books, literature or articles which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine.
5. To outlaw, after a period of amnesty, the personal ownership of books or materials which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine. (Books of academic or social interest will be made freely available to schools, universities and public libraries).
6. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the celebration of religiously significant dates.
7. To begin, with immediate effect, the destruction or reassignment of predominantly religious buildings, such as churches, mosques and temples.

See Revelation Chapters 17 & 18

Is that some dream?

Google the lyrics to John Lennon's Imagine

Take note of religious developments in Russia.
Eh. This is dumb. Its horrifying to people who are religious and funny to those that are not.

I personally believe the world would be a better place if we took steps to actively remove religion from the world. But I don't think that banning religion would get us anywhere. If someone wanted to end religion world wide the best thing to do is actually shoot for secularism. The main difference being that religion will still exist in some form or another but it a weak form that doesn't actually affect policy and daily life for the most part.

Steps to do this? Best case scenario off top of my head.

1. Combined UN and world collaborative efforts to eradicate poverty worldwide.
2. Shift to Green energy worldwide.
3. Work to secularize the governments of the world worldwide.
4. Give easier access to education both primary and secondary to all people of the world.
5. Outlaw laws with no secular backing
6. Off of #5 pressure governments to provide equality to citizens with basic fundamental rights and create an agreed upon basic bill of rights that is effective everywhere and for all people reguardless of nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, fiancial status or political viewpoints.
7. Encourage development of nations to raise the economic equality of the world.

This will lead to a huge drop in religious ideology worldwide. And even what is left will be mostly cultral.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean crackpots like @Laika ? He was also proposing banning the Quran.
Tom

Awww...that doesn't make him a crackpot. Actually BANNING them would. But some of the ideas and proposals I've put forth here are kinda...well...let's just say my sanity would be open to questioning too.