• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Nations to ban religion?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Christians don't desire to ban books just because they don't like them. They typically desire to ban books that they believe are evil.
Things are different in other places dominated by other ideological groups. But here in the USA the only people I know of to make a concerted effort to get rid of books they don't want anyone to read have been Christians.
You might get the occasional crackpots, but the only committee I have known to go the government and make a case were Christians. And the only big book burnings I am aware of are Christians burning Quran.
Ton

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sometime we ban evil people from existing in our societies. Why not ban evil books too?
Are books more sacred than people?
I think Christians like Donald Trump are evil. He is the poster boy for unbridled lust and greed and unapologetic dishonesty.
How about we don't ban books or people?
Tom

Sonofason

Things are different in other places dominated by other ideological groups. But here in the USA the only people I know of to make a concerted effort to get rid of books they don't want anyone to read have been Christians.
You might get the occasional crackpots, but the only committee I have known to go the government and make a case were Christians. And the only big book burnings I am aware of are Christians burning Quran.
Ton
Perhaps it is only Christians who care.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps it is only Christians who care.

Perhaps Christians are the ones who believe in objective truth. That's the only way you can avoid the cognitive dissonance involved in wanting to ban 'evil' books and worrying that the President might ban the bible via executive order.

Sonofason

I think Christians like Donald Trump are evil. He is the poster boy for unbridled lust and greed and unapologetic dishonesty.
How about we don't ban books or people?
Tom
Vote with your conscience. That is my best advice. And I will vote with mine.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Completely unenforceable; the UN would have to create and legislate on thought crime which would be the death knell of human freedom. I can't see most of the world's population going along with this either.

Sonofason

Perhaps Christians are the ones who believe in objective truth. That's the only way you can avoid the cognitive dissonance involved in wanting to ban 'evil' books and worrying that the President might ban the bible via executive order.
I do believe in objective truth. But I also believe that the objectivity of a matter is not always as obvious as some of us might think...myself included.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometime we ban evil people from existing in our societies. Why not ban evil books too?
Are books more sacred than people?
Depends on the book.
But really Christians object to even Christian written material, so it's no wonder that such calls are met with eye rolls. Perhaps more credible claims of what constitutes an evil book could come from said Christians? Just a suggestion. Or you know Christians could just not stand in the way of freedom of speech,expression. I mean really. Banning books just makes you seem like Big Brother.

Sonofason

And maybe it's only Christians who feel so privileged that they will dismiss freedom of speech or religion here in the USA.
Tom
I often see proposals by atheists just on this site alone for banning the Bible. So I can assure you it is not a Christian only notion. But even if you were right, I'd be okay with that too.

Kirran

Premium Member
Most people actually at the UN are religious. Most of the world is religious. Most regions of the world are majority religious. Most people in the UN's feeble enforcement forces are religious.

Sonofason

Depends on the book.
But really Christians object to even Christian written material, so it's no wonder that such calls are met with eye rolls. Perhaps more credible claims of what constitutes an evil book could come from said Christians? Just a suggestion.
I suggest banning everything that undermines and devalues the principles and will of God as prescribed and described in the Bible...How's that?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I suggest banning everything that undermines and devalues the principles and will of God as prescribed and described in the Bible...How's that?
Give me an example. People claim that the Little Mermaid undermines God. Which is ironic given that the author was a highly devout Catholic. Same thing with Lord of the Rings. Devoutly Catholic author, even going so far as to convert CS Lewis, who went on to become one of the most prominent Christian apologists of the 20th century. Apparently still evil books, never mind the very obvious allegory of Christianity throughout the story
I find people who wish to ban books often lack the necessary skills to properly dissect the very books they wish to ban, at best. At worst they haven't even read the books they want banned.
Perhaps you could prove to be an outlier? So please give me some examples of these "evil" books.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I often see proposals by atheists just on this site alone for banning the Bible. So I can assure you it is not a Christian only notion. But even if you were right, I'd be okay with that too.
You mean crackpots like @Laika ? He was also proposing banning the Quran.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Who decides what the Bible describes and prescribes? I've noticed some wildly divergent opinions on that subject.
Doesn't appear that Christians have much consensus on that.
Tom

Sonofason

Give me an example. People claim that the Little Mermaid undermines God. Which is ironic given that the author was a highly devout Catholic. Same thing with Lord of the Rings. Devoutly Catholic author, even going so far as to convert CS Lewis, who went on to become one of the most prominent Christian apologists of the 20th century. Apparently still evil books, never mind the very obvious allegory of Christianity throughout the story
I find people who wish to ban books often lack the necessary skills to properly dissect the very books they wish to ban, at best. At worst they haven't even read the books they want banned.
Perhaps you could prove to be an outlier? So please give me some examples of these "evil" books.
I personally don't have a problem with those two story-lines. If there are portions that undermine biblical principles, I think those portions ought to be removed. Do you know of any portions that I might think ought be removed? What are they? I thought the story by CS Lewis (Narnia I believe it was) was rather marvelous, and creative. I recognized the biblical allegorical threads throughout the story immediately. Mere Christianity was one of my favorite readings.

Last edited: