• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Honest discussion is always possible if people are being honest. Seems some do not like this path as it shows they may have to change what they believe. The is a lot of truth in the scripture "This is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness (error and falsehood) rather than light (truth), because their deeds were evil. Every one that does evil hates the light (truth), neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. Many are called but few are chosen. This is a hard saying for the many.
Do you agree with the premise of the OP?

3rdAngel

Do you agree with the premise of the OP?

The OP is simply a scripture that says...

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Yes I believe this scripture is true. I have seen it demonstrated here in this thread with SZ and some others trying to interpret what the scriptures are saying but are not able to because they deny God and his Word. IMO this is demonstrating the truth of these scriptures.

Does God give interpretation of the scriptures? I believe this is biblical and can be shown in JOHN 14:26; JOHN 16:13; JOHN 17:17; JOHN 7:17; but of course these promises are conditional on continuing to believe and follow what God says *JOHN 8:31-36. This does not mean that everyone will believe and accept God's Word as true? The scriptures teach many are called but few are chosen.

McBell

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Yes I believe this scripture is true. I have seen it demonstrated here in this thread with SZ and some others trying to interpret what the scriptures are saying but are not able to because they deny God and his Word. IMO this is demonstrating the truth of these scriptures.
So why is it you think you are better than God himself?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I cannot understand your refutation because you never made one. Post # 688 linked provides the scripture context (all the scripture surrounding the single scripture you cherry picked) you left out of the interpretation of the scriptures. The scriptures are the narative in post # 688 linked. Now lets use our logic. If the scripture narative is not my words but scripture (Gods Word or the bible) and your calling it a false narative then who are you calling a false narative me of the bible? I suggest you think your posts and arguments through before posting. Your contradicting yourself now :)
I am sorry, but though you cover it up rather well it appears that you have a rather low level of reading comprehension. You showed this not only once but again and again. What appeared to be rampant dishonesty by you now is revealed to be an inability to understand the topics being discussed.

3rdAngel

So why is it you think you are better than God himself?
I do not I am only a poor sinner in need of a Saviour to save me from my sins. The wretched of all men who God has loved and has come to save me from my sins. This is the Gospels message to all those who hear God's voice and believe and follow him who calls them in love and gives them power to walk in newness of life.

3rdAngel

I am sorry, but though you cover it up rather well it appears that you have a rather low level of reading comprehension. You showed this not only once but again and again. What appeared to be rampant dishonesty by you now is revealed to be an inability to understand the topics being discussed.
I am sorry my friend if you wish to have an honest discussion let's have one. Your ad hom comments are simply a distraction that people make who do not wish to discuss the truth. We will have to agree to disagree. You have your faith and I have mine. I am at peace with what I believe. I see you have no peace in what you believe or you would not feel the need to be here or respond with ad hom comments. I wish you only the best my friend. No need to be upset because I have challenged what you believe. :)

McBell

I do not I am only a poor sinner in need of a Saviour to save me from my sins. The wretched of all men who God has loved and has come to save me from my sins. This is the Gospels message to all those who hear God's voice and believe and follow him who calls them in love and gives them power to walk in newness of life.

Then why are you throwing Bible verses at those you believe have no way of understanding?

3rdAngel

Then why are you throwing Bible verses at those you believe have no way of understanding?

I am not. Shadow Wolf? made a comment about some scripture and was asking about it. I simply answered this post. This thread is also in relation to scripture so it is also the appriate place to do so IMO.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am sorry my friend if you wish to have an honest discussion let's have one. Your ad hom comments are simply a distraction that people make who do not wish to discuss the truth. We will have to agree to disagree. You have your faith and I have mine. I am at peace with what I believe. I see you have no peace in what you believe or you would not feel the need to be here or respond. I wish you only the best my friend. No need to be upset. :)
I made no ad homs. It is clear that you have not been dishonest. Unfortunately that does place you at a middle school level of knowledge. You could not understand the definition of atheist that you used, you did not understand the term "false narrative". You misuse all sorts of terminology. And of course there is the immaturity.

3rdAngel

I made no ad homs. It is clear that you have not been dishonest. Unfortunately that does place you at a middle school level of knowledge. You could not understand the definition of atheist that you used, you did not understand the term "false narrative". You misuse all sorts of terminology. And of course there is the immaturity.

You just have to read your own posts to see what your saying is not true. Pehaps you cannot see this I guess. Maybe you should look up the meaning of ad hominem before posting again? :)

McBell

I am not.
Yes, you are.

Shadow Wolf? made a comment about some scripture and was asking about it. I simply answered this post.
Why would you waste your time trying to explain any scripture to any one who does not have Gods permission to understand it?

This thread is also in relation to scripture so it is also the appriate place to do so IMO.
You are avoiding the point.

Why bother throwing scripture at people you believe can not possibly understand the scripture you throw?

McBell

He can only parrot. He does that well. But his understanding of countless areas of thought appear to be only skin deep.
I am genuinely interested in the why he thinks himself better than God.
If he actually believes that one has to have Gods permission to understand the Bible, why would he think that throwing Bible verses at you, whom he believes cannot understand what he is saying about the verses, would do anything other than stroke his own ego?

3rdAngel

Yes, you are.
What makes you think I am only posting for this persons benefit? :)
Why would you waste your time trying to explain any scripture to any one who does not have Gods permission to understand it?
Never a waste of time sharing God's Word with anyone IMO. It is like planting seeds. A seeds cannot grow if it is not planted. It also does not mean every seed will grow.
You are avoiding the point. Why bother throwing scripture at people you believe can not possibly understand the scripture you throw?
This thread is also in relation to scripture so it is also the appriate place to do so and as posted above why do you think I am only posting to those who do not believe? No one knows when a seed can grow if put into the soil. However if there is no seed nothing can grow. Some may not believe today but who knows if seeds planted today my grow tomorrow? :)

McBell

Does God give interpretation of the scriptures? I believe this is biblical and can be shown in JOHN 14:26; JOHN 16:13; JOHN 17:17; JOHN 7:17; but of course these promises are conditional on continuing to believe and follow what God says *JOHN 8:31-36. This does not mean that everyone will believe and accept God's Word as true? The scriptures teach many are called but few are chosen.
I notice you have edited this above quoted post to add a bunch of scripture to it.
Why, when you believe that I have no way of understanding it?