• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unconditional Love

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That may characterize a species of unconditional love, but it does not characterize the unconditional love referred to in the OP. The OP's love is brief, albeit life-transforming. In my 35 or so years of interest in this topic, I've only rarely come across accounts of it lasting for more than a few moments to an hour or so. The longest credible account has been three days.
For me, Sunstone, it lasted for about 6 weeks (in a tapering off intensity)... it was heaven and hell all rolled into one. I had never felt so alive. It was so amazing and so frightening because it was so unexpected and it just didn't stop. In some ways it was like being hit by a freight train. If we ever have a chance to share several bottles of fine wine or a case of Bacardi, I might be coaxed to tell you my tale.

Deidre

Thank you, honestly your reply touched my heart. Thank you.
I'm a former Christian, and I remember thinking when I'd encounter someone who seemed like you, that they seemed different. And what made that person different? The holy spirit, and I see that in your posts. If only all Christians, or even 70% of them could be like you.

If only. :blueheart:

Grandliseur

In my view, there is such a thing as unconditional love*. However, so far as I know it is:

• relatively rare (doesn't happen to everyone, and infrequently happens to anyone),
  • usually extremely brief (typically lasting only moments),
  • is as much (or even more so) a perspective or way of perceiving as it is an emotion,
  • cannot be forced to come about (there is no guaranteed path to it, or means of bringing it about),
  • is typically life-transforming.

It's nature makes it difficult to research scientifically, but I suspect it has a neurological basis, and that it is closely related in physiology to the mystical experience of oneness.

But what's your own take on unconditional love?

*Selfless love that is given freely, without demanding that the beloved comply with any requirements as a condition of being loved. Not to be confused with love that is merely self-sacrificing. That is, selfless love does not entail self-sacrifice. The "beloved" here can be a person, place, thing, or -- perhaps most often -- an entire perceptual field.

EDIT: I should have written here that the "beloved" -- or object of one's unconditional love -- is almost certain to be the contents of one's entire perceptual field. Thus it is most likely to include everything one is perceiving during the experience of unconditional love.
Doesn't exist.
Even the reason for loving the thing, the object, the being - contains conditions, what being, why love, etc.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, Sunstone, it lasted for about 6 weeks (in a tapering off intensity)... it was heaven and hell all rolled into one. I had never felt so alive. It was so amazing and so frightening because it was so unexpected and it just didn't stop. In some ways it was like being hit by a freight train. If we ever have a chance to share several bottles of fine wine or a case of Bacardi, I might be coaxed to tell you my tale.
I must join! That sounds like such a fascinating tale! (without the alcohol of course :D )

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What do you make of accounts of unconditional love being experienced by rather bad people?
There is a song by the "New Troubadours" from many years ago that expresses the thought that the light is for all. A historically classic story is that of Milarepa who used sorcery to gain revenge but wound up being called "TIbet's greatest yogi" after his guru put him through severe trials to burn away his attachments.

Change can come in the twinkling of an eye,
In the ripple upon a lake.
Change can come in the color of a flower,
In the sparkle of morning dew,
When the Light catches you.
In that tiny moment, you are transformed

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I'm a former Christian, and I remember thinking when I'd encounter someone who seemed like you, that they seemed different. And what made that person different? The holy spirit, and I see that in your posts. If only all Christians, or even 70% of them could be like you.

If only. :blueheart:

I agree. All Christians need to be more accepting and less judgmental. It is one of our biggest flaws. I don't know about the holy spirit part, but thank you for the compliment. :sparklingheart:

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the parameters of our being conditioned"?
Much of what we do is conditioned by our genetic and experiential history. Neither of which we had any choice in. And that includes our understanding and experience of things like 'love', and beauty, and empathy and righteousness. How can love ever be unconditional for any human, really?

Riders

I need to learn to love myself first before I can give any kind of love. If I become aware of myself and get to know me and Nature my world its enough.

Suggesting there's a pure or perfect love to achieve is not my interest and strikes as going to deep in thought.Im trying to lead a simple life in the here and now.But again no love is available to me like the way I need to love and know myself.

Riders

Yes, that's clearly stated in the OP.

I think you might be thinking of a different kind of unconditional love than the kind being spoken of in the OP

In terms of the love spoken about in the OP, loving one's enemies would not be a choice. If you were to have an experience of unconditional love, you wold most likely love everything within your perceptual field at the time of your experience. If that happened to include your enemies, you'd probably love them too.

If I'm at complete piece with myself and the world around me I have no enemies. There's no need to achieve this unconditional love.

But I believe in compassion.If I wish compassion to all its enough.Some people confuse unconditional love with compassion.

Last edited:

Electra

Unconditional Love =
Basking in the perfectness that Is.

Nothing to do, Nothing to change, just *big breath* *giggles*

(p.s I love you so much it hurts)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
In my view, there is such a thing as unconditional love*. However, so far as I know it is:

• relatively rare (doesn't happen to everyone, and infrequently happens to anyone),
  • is as much (or even more so) a perspective or way of perceiving as it is an emotion,
  • cannot be forced to come about (there is no guaranteed path to it, or means of bringing it about),

It's nature makes it difficult to research scientifically, but I suspect it has a neurological basis, and that it is closely related in physiology to the mystical experience of oneness.

*Selfless love that is given freely, without demanding that the beloved comply with any requirements as a condition of being loved. Not to be confused with love that is merely self-sacrificing. That is, selfless love does not entail self-sacrifice. The "beloved" here can be a person, place, thing, or -- perhaps most often -- an entire perceptual field.

EDIT: I should have written here that the "beloved" -- or object of one's unconditional love -- is almost certain to be the contents of one's entire perceptual field. Thus it is most likely to include everything one is perceiving during the experience of unconditional love.

Jesus is the source of unconditional love. That's my take.

Faithofchristian

Alot of Christians are taught that God's Love is unconditional.

If this is True, then what need would there have been for Christ Jesus to have given Himself for the sin of the world?

John 3:16--"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life"

There is a condition to God's Love, that all people believe in the Son of God, Christ Jesus.

Riders

Alot of Christians are taught that God's Love is unconditional.

If this is True, then what need would there have been for Christ Jesus to have given Himself for the sin of the world?

John 3:16--"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life"

There is a condition to God's Love, that all people believe in the Son of God, Christ Jesus.

Or else be sent to an everlasting hell

Faithofchristian

Or else be sent to an everlasting hell

That's your choice. You can not make anyone love you.
Because you chose not to love,
Try being in a relationship where the other person will not love you back, how long are you willing to stay in that relationship and all the while they are loving another person. Are you willing to be in that kind of relationship. Not getting any love back from the other, but they are loving another.but not you.

So if you left home for a while and you came back home and found the other in bed with another, what would you do, My guess would be, that you would no longer want to be with them. And them in bed with whosoever.

So why do you expect God to be any different.

Because he's God, people seem to think that just because he's God, that God doesn't have any feelings.
God has feelings and when we his children do not show love back his feelings get hurt.
Just like any other parent gets their feelings hurt by their children.

It's only fair, if you turn your back on him, then by all right, he has the same right as you do.

You first turned your back on him, God is not going to go running after anyone.
God already been there and done that. but to have people keep blasting,cursing, Him. All because God wants the best for us all.

God wants to give everyone eternal life and everything their hearts desire. And in return for our Love to him.

But if you chose to be in bed with another. You made the choice.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

compassion for all isn't approval for all behavior. loving someone, or something, isn't an advocation for negative behavior, or depraved indifference. love can remain but correction is necessary. obviously this is the same idea of schooling. parents love their children and siblings their others, but psychological maturity is a continuous challenge. everyone doesn't mature at the same rate and under the same conditions.