• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN Vote for Peace

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the vote was great.

"UNITED NATIONS, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Marking one year of war, Ukraine and Russia lobbied countries at the United Nations on Wednesday for backing ahead of a vote by the 193-member General Assembly that the United States declared will "go down in history."

"We will see where the nations of the world stand on the matter of peace in Ukraine," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield told the General Assembly.

The General Assembly appeared set to adopt a resolution on Thursday, put forward by Ukraine and supporters, stressing "the need to reach, as soon as possible, a comprehensive, just and lasting peace" in line with the founding U.N. Charter."

The vote was passed, by a great number.

"In all, 141 countries voiced support for the resolution. Seven opposed it — Russia, Belarus, North Korea, Syria, Mali, Eritrea and Nicaragua.

Meanwhile, 32 countries abstained during the vote. China, India, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and much of Africa and Central Asia were among the abstentions."

Ukraine: UN members endorse resolution to end war – DW – 02/23/2023

Regards Tony

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think the vote was great.
"UNITED NATIONS, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Marking one year of war, Ukraine and Russia lobbied countries at the United Nations on Wednesday for backing ahead of a vote by the 193-member General Assembly that the United States declared will "go down in history."
"We will see where the nations of the world stand on the matter of peace in Ukraine," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield told the General Assembly.
The General Assembly appeared set to adopt a resolution on Thursday, put forward by Ukraine and supporters, stressing "the need to reach, as soon as possible, a comprehensive, just and lasting peace" in line with the founding U.N. Charter." The vote was passed, by a great number.
"In all, 141 countries voiced support for the resolution. Seven opposed it — Russia, Belarus, North Korea, Syria, Mali, Eritrea and Nicaragua. Meanwhile, 32 countries abstained during the vote. China, India, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and much of Africa and Central Asia were among the abstentions."
Ukraine: UN members endorse resolution to end war – DW – 02/23/2023 Regards Tony

With backing the United Nations can be strengthened to become God's Arm of the Law.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is good and i do wish that it had meaning, unfortunately most belligerent countries just ignore UN resolutions and continue causing havoc
In Bible history, the pattern is that in the past God has used political/military powers to do or bring about His will.
Thus, the pattern is set. With backing the UN can be strengthened and be used as God's Arm of Law.
Often in war both sides pray to God for the victory putting the responsibility on God's shoulders, so to speak.
Thus, the religious wedded to the political will cause the political to turn on her.
So, when the powers in charge are saying, "Peace and Security...." that Rosy saying will just lead people down that Primrose Path.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In Bible history, the pattern is that in the past God has used political/military powers to do or bring about His will.
Thus, the pattern is set. With backing the UN can be strengthened and be used as God's Arm of Law.
Often in war both sides pray to God for the victory putting the responsibility on God's shoulders, so to speak.
Thus, the religious wedded to the political will cause the political to turn on her.
So, when the powers in charge are saying, "Peace and Security...." that Rosy saying will just lead people down that Primrose Path.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3

Irrelevant and nonsense, religion and politics has been closely tied for thousands of years, only in recent centuries has the more developed nations separated strived to separate the meddling interference of religion from the decision making of politics.

There have been more conflicts throughout history fought in the name of god than any other cause

No thanks, keep politics and religion separate.

AnnaCzereda

This resolution is purely symbolic. It has some meaning for Ukraine as it shows the country has international support. It won't stop Putin from continuing the war though. It has already stopped being the matter of any political or economic gains for him, I think. Sometimes I think that if he had predicted that Ukraine would fight so fiercely and that the war would drag for years, he wouldn't have invaded Ukraine but tried some political subversion instead. I could be mistaken but it seems that he expected to defeat Ukraine quickly and without much expense.

Now that he met strong resistance and the US became involved, he has no other way but to continue. Backing down would make him lose his face especially that it's no longer the war merely with Ukraine. It's the proxy war with NATO, the fight of two empires, US and Russia, for domination in Europe. Winning this war is the matter of prestige for Putin, who dreams about resurrecting the lost glory of the Soviet Union. Sure, the normal person would back down, admitted being wrong and even apologized but this is not what dictators do. They must always be right because being wrong means losing absolute power they hold over their brainwashed and terrorized citizens.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Irrelevant and nonsense, religion and politics has been closely tied for thousands of years, only in recent centuries has the more developed nations separated strived to separate the meddling interference of religion from the decision making of politics.
There have been more conflicts throughout history fought in the name of god than any other cause
No thanks, keep politics and religion separate.

You'll find politics and religion separate at 2 Chronicles 26:16-21 (No union of 'church and state' there )
The king (political) was Not to interfere with the priests (religion) and vice versa.
God chose those religious/priests to preserve the Bible. Not to meddle in the political.
We see in the international scope in the world wars that the political used the religious to back their wars.
So, world religion has wed itself to the political and to try to make political policy.
The world's religions like to 'throne and or de-throne' kings to be in or to be out of office.
Even using the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War as if that is the same thing as the Altar of God which it is not.
So, until the political turns on the religious world there is No hope that rationality and reason will become the norm.
Religion meddling in world affairs brings adverse attention to the political world, thus the hand writing is on the wall.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You'll find politics and religion separate at 2 Chronicles 26:16-21 (No union of 'church and state' there )
The king (political) was Not to interfere with the priests (religion) and vice versa.
God chose those religious/priests to preserve the Bible. Not to meddle in the political.
We see in the international scope in the world wars that the political used the religious to back their wars.
So, world religion has wed itself to the political and to try to make political policy.
The world's religions like to 'throne and or de-throne' kings to be in or to be out of office.
Even using the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War as if that is the same thing as the Altar of God which it is not.
So, until the political turns on the religious world there is No hope that rationality and reason will become the norm.
Religion meddling in world affairs brings adverse attention to the political world, thus the hand writing is on the wall.

I onow what I'll find, but that is not how its been. And certainly America is heading back to religious beliefs over ruling politics.

Religious war is not rational

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With backing the United Nations can be strengthened to become God's Arm of the Law.

I do not see God will rule is through the United Nations, in this age, though it can be based on the Morals and Virtues and advice given of God.

I see God has given the rule of earth to humanity and has set up an Administrative Order that will guide us to the Most Great Peace, where it is most likely that man's rule does become part of an everlasting part of God's rule.

A union of Nations is already given in prophecy, it is the next stage of evolution of humanity as a whole that will build a 'Lesser Peace'. The Nation that will be most responsible for that peace is also foretold.

I post two quotes under a spoiler, just to show how clearly it has been foretold.

The theme of a gathering to deliberate on the measures required for an enduring world peace is referred to in several other places in the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, including:

The time must come when the imperative necessity for the holding of a vast, an all-embracing assemblage of men will be universally realized. The rulers and kings of the earth must needs attend it, and, participating in its deliberations, must consider such ways and means as will lay the foundations of the world’s Great Peace amongst men. Such a peace demandeth that the Great Powers should resolve, for the sake of the tranquillity of the peoples of the earth, to be fully reconciled among themselves. Should any king take up arms against another, all should unitedly arise and prevent him. If this be done, the nations of the world will no longer require any armaments, except for the purpose of preserving the security of their realms and of maintaining internal order within their territories. This will ensure the peace and composure of every people, government and nation.

Subsequently ‘Abdu’l‑Bahá specified one of the outcomes of this convocation to be a comprehensive treaty, the provisions of which would be binding on all governments:

True civilization will unfurl its banner in the midmost heart of the world whenever a certain number of its distinguished and high-minded sovereigns—the shining exemplars of devotion and determination—shall, for the good and happiness of all mankind, arise, with firm resolve and clear vision, to establish the Cause of Universal Peace. They must make the Cause of Peace the object of general consultation, and seek by every means in their power to establish a Union of the nations of the world. They must conclude a binding treaty and establish a covenant, the provisions of which shall be sound, inviolable and definite. They must proclaim it to all the world and obtain for it the sanction of all the human race. This supreme and noble undertaking—the real source of the peace and well-being of all the world—should be regarded as sacred by all that dwell on earth. All the forces of humanity must be mobilized to ensure the stability and permanence of this Most Great Covenant. In this all-embracing Pact the limits and frontiers of each and every nation should be clearly fixed, the principles underlying the relations of governments towards one another definitely laid down, and all international agreements and obligations ascertained. In like manner, the size of the armaments of every government should be strictly limited, for if the preparations for war and the military forces of any nation should be allowed to increase, they will arouse the suspicion of others. The fundamental principle underlying this solemn Pact should be so fixed that if any government later violate any one of its provisions, all the governments on earth should arise to reduce it to utter submission, nay the human race as a whole should resolve, with every power at its disposal, to destroy that government. Should this greatest of all remedies be applied to the sick body of the world, it will assuredly recover from its ills and will remain eternally safe and secure.

There are many writings about our future, the building of the 'Lesser Peace' at this link.

19 April 2001 – [To an individual] | Bahá’í Reference Library

It is also foretold that America will head this move for Peace, here is but one passages.

"Yet even now warfare prevails.(1st World War) Envy and hatred have arisen between nations. But because I find the American nation so capable of achievement and this government the fairest of western governments, its institutions superior to others, my wish and hope is that the banner of international reconciliation may first be raised on this continent and the standard of the Most Great Peace be unfurled here. May the American people and their government unite in their efforts in order that this light may dawn from this point and spread to all regions, for this is one of the greatest bestowals of God. In order that America may avail herself of this opportunity, I beg that you strive and pray with heart and soul, devoting all your energies to this end: that the banner of international peace may be upraised here and that this democracy may be the cause of the cessation of warfare in all other countries."

‘Abdu’l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 83

There is much hope in the resolution the UN has now passed. The issue is, the UN needs to be given power of enforcement of Nations that have disarmed. So we have a long way to go before that day arrives!

Or the great calamity that will force that hand is fast approaching.

Regards Tony

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
....... And certainly America is heading back to religious beliefs over ruling politics. Religious war is not rational

Or, heading back to voting and ruling political policy ________
As in the past religion's meddling role was to try to throne (crown) kings or de-throne them.
Remember: Napoleon crowned himself in defiance to religious meddling.
Remember: before his election, Pres. Reagan gave lip service to the evangelicals to pacify them so they would back him.
Doesn't have to be religious war but the powers in charge to surprisingly turn on the religious world.
Not a religious war but the start of the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 ending in the war to end all wars.
- Psalms 46:9

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In other news related to peace, China offered a
peace proposal to give Russia pretty much what
it wanted in exchange for Ukraine ending its
defense.
Obviously, it was a poison pill designed to be
immediately rejected, so that China & Russia
could propogandize that Ukraine is unwilling
to negotiate for peace.
China Cease-Fire Proposal for Ukraine Falls Flat With US, Allies
Excerpted (underlining added)....
Several of the 12 points outlined by China in the document issued Friday would, if carried out, offer clear benefits to Russian President Vladimir Putin. That includes a cease-fire, which would freeze Russian troops in place on Ukrainian territory, as well as a call to immediately end all sanctions not endorsed by the UN Security Council, where Russia holds veto power.

US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan, speaking on CNN, brushed off the Chinese proposal, saying it should have ended after the first bullet point, which calls for “respecting the sovereignty of all countries.”

“This war could end tomorrow, if Russia stopped attacking Ukraine and withdrew its forces,” he said.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I do not see God will rule is through the United Nations, in this age, though it can be based on the Morals and Virtues and advice given of God.
The theme of a gathering to deliberate on the measures required for an enduring world peace is referred to in several other places in the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, including:................................................................
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 83
There is much hope in the resolution the UN has now passed. The issue is, the UN needs to be given power of enforcement of Nations that have disarmed. So we have a long way to go before that day arrives!
Or the great calamity that will force that hand is fast approaching. Regards Tony

I find God will rule (govern) through His Son Christ Jesus - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26 - as King of God's Kingdom/government.
In past Bible history God used the political/military to do His will such as in the year 70 when God used the Romans armies to destroy un-faithful Jerusalem.
Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will establish global world peace among persons of good will.
The 'sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth' will rid the Earth of the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4
Yes, in part ' the UN needs to be given power of enforcement...' so with backing the UN can be strengthened to be God's modern-day arm of the Law to carry out His will. Just as the Romans armies carried out His will in year 70.
The coming 'great calamity' is called the 'great tribulation' at Revelation 7:14 that will climax in the final war called Armageddon - Psalms 46:9
So, when the powers in charge are saying, "Peace and Security....." that is the 'final signal', so to speak, that is the precursor, Not to peace, but the precursor to the coming great tribulation before Jesus takes the action at Revelation 19:14-15. - 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3[/spoiler]

ChristineM

Premium Member
Or, heading back to voting and ruling political policy ________
As in the past religion's meddling role was to try to throne (crown) kings or de-throne them.
Remember: Napoleon crowned himself in defiance to religious meddling.
Remember: before his election, Pres. Reagan gave lip service to the evangelicals to pacify them so they would back him.
Doesn't have to be religious war but the powers in charge to surprisingly turn on the religious world.
Not a religious war but the start of the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 ending in the war to end all wars.
- Psalms 46:9

It seems you do not know much about history, i can, if you want provid you with a list of wars in which one side or both were fighting to impose their religion on the other. The list is not complete but but contains most of the major religious wars

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I know what I'll find, but that is not how its been. And certainly America is heading back to religious beliefs over ruling politics. Religious war is not rational

To me WW1 and WW2 was Not rational because clergy on both sides of Christendom prayed for the victory.
Catholics of one country were warring with Catholics of another country - Not rational
Protestants of one country were warring with Protestants of another country - Not rational
As if they were pitting the victory in God's hands as to who would be the victor. Making God do the choosing

Heading back or putting religious beliefs over politics can cause the political to suddenly turn on the religious.

ChristineM

Premium Member
To me WW1 and WW2 was Not rational because clergy on both sides of Christendom prayed for the victory.
Catholics of one country were warring with Catholics of another country - Not rational
Protestants of one country were warring with Protestants of another country - Not rational
As if they were pitting the victory in God's hands as to who would be the victor. Making God do the choosing

Heading back or putting religious beliefs over politics can cause the political to suddenly turn on the religious.

And back to square one, there lies a problem with imposing religion in politics

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And back to square one, there lies a problem with imposing religion in politics
I find chapter 17 of Revelation puts the religious in bed with the political.
Not necessarily the marriage bed !
She plays the harlot by compromising with the political elements of the world.
She put politics in the pulpit, thus making the pulpit political.
In war time using the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War being taught that is the same thing as the Altar of God.
And a two-party system makes one half of the voters against the other half.
By the time of Constantine ' marriage of church and state ' was a 'marriage of convenience' for Constantine.
The clergy class (wife) got support from the political state ( King/ husband )
In exchange for clergy (wife) support given to the political (King/husband) the world would recognize the wife's so-called religious position.
The world now facing with deteriorating earth-wide conditions many could come to regard religious things as worthless (or of little account) then many will look to the U.N. and with men's backing the U.N. can strengthened to take action.
One action will be that the political religious 'wife' (Queen - Revelation 18:7-8) will be de-throned and come to her end.