• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK soldiers 'filmed beating Iraqis'

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
(CNN) -- Britain has opened an investigation into new allegations of abuse by its forces in Iraq after a newspaper released what it described as videos showing soldiers savagely beating Iraqi youths.

The News of the World said on Sunday the alleged attack by eight soldiers, which followed a scene showing youths throwing stones at the soldiers, was videotaped in southern Iraq in early 2004. CNN has not confirmed the authenticity of the film.

Britain's defense ministry said it was aware of the "serious allegations" and that a military police investigation was looking into them.

"We condemn all acts of abuse and brutality and always treat any allegations of wrongdoing extremely seriously," said a spokesman.

The News of the World said the scenes, which lasted about two minutes, were videotaped by a corporal "for fun," apparently from a nearby rooftop.

On the tape, the youths' pleas for mercy are ignored. The beatings include what appears to be a British soldier kicking one of the youths, shown pinned to the ground by other soldiers, in the genitals.

In another case, a soldier puts a boy in a headlock, then releases him only to butt his head against the boy's, then strike his fist on the boy's head.

The youth's cries can be heard on the tape, which shows a minute's worth of the attack -- with 42 blows counted, according to the newspaper. .

The tape includes what sounds like a running commentary of approval from the cameraman. "Oh yes! Oh yes! You're gonna get it. Yes, naughty little boys!" the narrator can be heard saying as the blows land. "Die! Ha, ha!"

The News of the World said the video was shown to friends of the corporal in Europe, and one of them reported the incident to the tabloid newspaper.

The paper said it chose not to identify the soldiers' unit and regiment for security reasons.

The paper quoted the informant as saying: "These Iraqis were just kids. Most haven't even got shoes on. Those eight soldiers were pumped up and out of control. They're an insult to the thousands of soldiers who have worked so hard in Iraq with courage and dignity for so long.

"They're nothing but a gang of thugs."
Source with the rest of the article.

d.

_______
i wish i could say i'm shocked and surprised, but i'm not.

this is what war does to people.

d.

_______
jamaesi said:
Of all people, soldiers should know better.
i fail to see why; this is more or less what is expected of them. they've just taken it a notch too far and got caught in the act.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Because I'd like to think that soldiers enlisted because they want to defend their countries and help people, not torture and slaughter.

:(

d.

_______
most soldiers probably have very good intentions when they enlist. but the difference between helping people, defending their countries and torture and slaughter is easily blurred.

Nehustan

I have to say that this is obviously not good for the British Army, but I must add that Brits beat each other up during training just as badly. Also, and this is not meant as an apology, it is not really relevant that these people are a different ethnic group, beatings like this happen whenever there is a conflict situation especially during civil disturbance. Think Northern Ireland, and you will realise that this is not ethnically based, considering how much the soldiers blood must be up, they seem to give a light beating. I myself (should I admit this!!!) have given an equally vicious (or worse) beating to someone with a stick, as they crawled away from me. Needless to say the person involved never to my knowledge repeated the index offence, nor was I silly enough to have a friend filming.

sindbad5

The Ministry of Defence has launched an investigation into a video which allegedly shows British soldiers brutally beating a group of young Iraqis.
The film, which was reported in a Sunday newspaper, shows the troops repeatedly kicking, punching and striking civilians with batons.
here's the link to the video...

ogrish-dot-com-british_beating_clip_in_iraq.wmv-sc2.jpg

ogrish-dot-com-british_beating_clip_in_iraq.wmv-sc8.jpg

ogrish-dot-com-british_beating_clip_in_iraq.wmv-sc11.jpg

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Wow, that one didn't talke long before it was raised!:D

Sinbad, there are priests who do bad deeds, there are doctors who do bad deeds..................Why should soldiers be different ?

Obviously, it doesn't excuse their behaviour, Just as nothing will help to excuse the behavious of militant and extremist Muslims...........so what is new ?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree Michel. The actions of these soldiers MUST be met addressed.

However, there is always two sides to a story. I can't see soldiers doing this without provocation.
I wonder what kind of little darlings enraged the soldiers to such an extent that they decided to take them aside for a little life lesson.
Where the soldiers right to do so? Certainly not. They just created two very angry future soldiers... not to mention the countless others who won't stop to think.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jamaesi said:
Because I'd like to think that soldiers enlisted because they want to defend their countries and help people, not torture and slaughter.

:(
I am sure that is their intention. I intend to spend as much of my life in meditation and prayer, but I don't spend half the time I would like to........because I am human, and humanity is imperfect, and therefore I am imperfect, just as the soldiers are.

It doesn't excuse their behaviour, but it is a pretty good reason why they did what they did.

Yerda

Veteran Member
jamaesi said:
Of all people, soldiers should know better.
Unless, of course, their job depends on it.

When things like this come out in the media it's treated as isolated incidents from rogue elements. The truth appears to hold that it's systematic, and encouraged from above. Getting caught is what'll get these guys strung up.

d.

_______
Jaiket said:

When things like this come out in the media it's treated as isolated incidents from rogue elements. The truth appears to hold that it's systematic, and encouraged from above. Getting caught is what'll get these guys strung up.
well put. i agree.

A

angellous_evangellous

divine said:
most soldiers probably have very good intentions when they enlist. but the difference between helping people, defending their countries and torture and slaughter is easily blurred.
I agree. While I'm deeply saddened by this incident, we can't rule out the possibility that those kids had just been shooting at the soldiers. IMHO, it takes quite a bit of class to hold hands with someone right after they try to kill you. Roughing the kids up a bit is better than killing them, and it could prevent attacks on soldiers in the future...

A

angellous_evangellous

Jaiket said:

How stupid do they think that we are?