• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Two States, One Homeland - an open land for all"

The vision of A Land For All is ...

• worthy

• pollyannaish

• insidious

Results are only viewable after voting.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Luis would eat his hat, and he might convert to Abrahamic.

The hat part I will grant you, mainly because I rarely wear any.

Then I would never, ever let him live it down and remind him constantly of how he was once mired in primitive Buddhism instead of embracing the wave of the future. It might be so fun. I mean...no Buddhist influenced countries have managed to eliminate borders. Abrahamics could really talk smack after this. We could take credit for it!
Are you sure that I put you thinking of that? I could never have pulled off such a train of thought myself. I don't even know what you are talking about.

sooda

Veteran Member
I disagree. More importantly, I do not see its relevance.

Rather than suggest how to effect a traditional 2-State solution, why not first explain why you find such a solution preferable. I get the sense that you simply consider the alternative posed in the OP to be unworthy of consideration.

I think a two state solution is ten years too late. Where would you put a contiguous state?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Land Belongs to G-d.

Thus claim Jews and Muslims and in the past Christians. It's a recipe for war and mutual atrocities as well as endless hate.

Relying on borders to keep peace reminds me of relying on laws to keep people away from alcohol and cannabis.

It Just Does Not Work. It can't ever really work, not on its own.

Borders only work when there is at a minimum mutual respect and tolerance if not friendship. The mess will automatically be resolved when Jews say to Muslims assalamu alaikum and Muslims respond aleichem shalom and visa versa.

sooda

Veteran Member
Thus claim Jews and Muslims and in the past Christians. It's a recipe for war and mutual atrocities as well as endless hate.

Borders only work when there is at a minimum mutual respect and tolerance if not friendship. The mess will automatically be resolved when Jews say to Muslims assalamu alaikum and Muslims respond aleichem shalom and visa versa.

The Bible says not to move the boundary stones.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

May we all live to see such a day arrive!

sooda

Veteran Member
May we all live to see such a day arrive!

Proverbs 22:28 28Do not move an ancient boundary stone set up by your ancestors.

Proverbs 23:10 10Do not move an ancient boundary stone or encroach on the fields of the fatherless,

Deuteronomy 19:14 14Do not move your neighbor's boundary stone set up by your predecessors in the inheritance you receive in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess.

Job 24:2 2There are those who move boundary stones; they pasture flocks they have stolen.

Deuteronomy 27:17 17"Cursed is anyone who moves their neighbor's boundary stone." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Proverbs 22:28 28Do not move an ancient boundary stone set up by your ancestors.

Proverbs 23:10 10Do not move an ancient boundary stone or encroach on the fields of the fatherless,

Deuteronomy 19:14 14Do not move your neighbor's boundary stone set up by your predecessors in the inheritance you receive in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess.

Job 24:2 2There are those who move boundary stones; they pasture flocks they have stolen.

Deuteronomy 27:17 17"Cursed is anyone who moves their neighbor's boundary stone." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"
You seem to perceive some clear meaning there. What would that be?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Really, if no one owns the land, then I would think that this fact would make things better not worse?

I'm not saying you're wrong... I'm just confused.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Really, if no one owns the land, then I would think that this fact would make things better not worse?

I think it's because "This land belongs to God" is usually followed by " and He wants us to be the property managers".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

My intent is that arguing and going to war over who owns the land won't solve anything. What's needed is a change in the hearts of people who live there so that the barrier between them melts away. Then the solution will automatically happen.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think it's because "This land belongs to God" is usually followed by " and He wants us to be the property managers".
Well, if I go strictly by the Tanach there are only 3 tracts of land that "belong" to the Jewish people.

So if anyone claims that they are the Property Mangers of the State of Israel, these same people can't use Tanach to back up their claim. Seems to me that saying "I'm the property manager" actually undermines Jewish authority of the land which is now called Israel.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
My intent is that arguing and going to war over who owns the land won't solve anything. What's needed is a change in the hearts of people who live there so that the barrier between them melts away. Then the solution will automatically happen.
I agree 100%. But I would take it even further.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, if I go strictly by the Tanach there are only 3 tracts of land that "belong" to the Jewish people.

So if anyone claims that they are the Property Mangers of the State of Israel, these same people can't use Tanach to back up their claim. . .

I don't think that's going to slow anybody down.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, if I go strictly by the Tanach there are only 3 tracts of land that "belong" to the Jewish people
By that logic, only what was paid for "belongs" to anyone. That undermines large territories of several countries that were attained through conquest or other means.

And even those three fairly small plots of land (a piece of land near Sh'chem, the Machpela cave and the Temple Mount) are contested over!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
By that logic, only what was paid for "belongs" to anyone. That undermines large territories of several countries that were attained through conquest or other means.
Yes. It does. America included. My own home, the land I'm standing on right now doesn't belong to me.
And even those three fairly small plots of land (a piece of land near Sh'chem, the Machpela cave and the Temple Mount) are contested over!
I know.

In principle, there are only 3 tracts of Land that can be said to belong to the Jewish people per G-d.
In practice, Jewish people need a lot more territory than that in order to defend themselves from hostile nations and people who HATE Israel.
In principle, there are a lot of good reasons for the neighboring countries to be hostile towards the Israeli Government.
In practice, these same people who HATE the Israeli Government do not actually HATE Jewish people.

To me, if I am considering the above dynamic between principles and what is practical, I see a path to peace.

It starts with acknowledging what is moral and ethical in principle... That's the common ground between the opposing view points. What is this common ground?
  • The Land Belongs to G-d
  • G-d has given the Jewish people an easement to the the "3 tracts of land" per the Tanach.

This is how I would open negotiations with the hostile nations who surround Israel. I would start by seeking common ground. The common ground is principled... not practical. Once the parties agree on principles then, and only then, can a discussion of practical issues begin.

Otherwise, it's a never ending military conflict. I see no other alternative.