• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to find the right religion for me

I was raised Christian, by both of my divorced parents, and around the time I was 16, I started losing faith in Christian beliefs and ideals. Alot of it I blame on my father, but it might have happened regardless. Once I turned 18 and moved back in with my mother, I stopped believing in Christianity almost completely. I've been trying to find my way since, and a friend I met online, and who has become like a sister to me, said I was eclectic. Well, I recently decided to not just be eclectic anymore, I wanted to find the right religion for me. So, I've made up a list of things I believe in, and though it is not finished, it should help me get on the right track for what I want to accomplish.

-Forces (Gods/Goddess's?) of good, evil, life, death, nature, sun, moon.
-Past lives.
-Abilities: to control elements, telekinesis, future seeing, mind control (not something I would do), astralling aka astral projection, healing (yourself and others).
-Anything can happen when imagination is used, it is the most important tool a spirit of any form can possess.

Alceste

Vagabond
-Past lives.
-Abilities: to control elements, telekinesis, future seeing, mind control (not something I would do), astralling aka astral projection, healing (yourself and others).
-Anything can happen when imagination is used, it is the most important tool a spirit of any form can possess.

Hindu mysticism.

Awoon

I was raised Christian, by both of my divorced parents, and around the time I was 16, I started losing faith in Christian beliefs and ideals. Alot of it I blame on my father, but it might have happened regardless. Once I turned 18 and moved back in with my mother, I stopped believing in Christianity almost completely. I've been trying to find my way since, and a friend I met online, and who has become like a sister to me, said I was eclectic. Well, I recently decided to not just be eclectic anymore, I wanted to find the right religion for me. So, I've made up a list of things I believe in, and though it is not finished, it should help me get on the right track for what I want to accomplish.

Religion is the way you live your life. If you are satisfied then continue, if not then change. The less headaches you have the better you'll know.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO, it's always more fun to forge your own path. If your's happens to intersect with some other paths along the way, even better.

Good luck. :yes:

loverOfTruth

-Past lives.

Hi there,
I admire your initiative to inquire about the various religions and find out the Truth, if there is any. However, I do not think it is a good idea to make a list of our own personal criterion and then see which religion fits our 'desires'. I would only follow a religion, if it is from God Almighty. And if God Almighty through one religion says do this or do not do this, that should take precedence over our own desires/wishes. Because our Creator, God knows us better than we know ourselves and hence would not prescribe/prohibit something unless it is beneficial for us. I think that is the core of the faith in a religion.

As stated in the Holy Qur'an :
"Satan promises them and arouses desire in them. But Satan does not promise them except delusion. The refuge of those will be Hell, and they will not find from it an escape. But the ones who believe and do righteous deeds - We will admit them to gardens beneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide forever. [It is] the promise of Allah(God) , [which is] truth, and who is more truthful than Allah(God) in statement. Paradise is not [obtained] by your wishful thinking nor by that of the People of the Scripture. Whoever does a wrong will be recompensed for it, and he will not find besides Allah(God) a protector or a helper.And whoever does righteous deeds, whether male or female, while being a believer - those will enter Paradise and will not be wronged, [even as much as] the speck on a date seed.And who is better in religion than one who submits himself to Allah(God) while being a doer of good and follows the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth? And Allah(God) took Abraham as an intimate friend." Al-Qur'an (4:120-125)

Obviously, I am writing this message to invite you to study little bit about the way I follow and believe is the True way. I am a follower of the Islamic faith and would like to provide you with some information to study. Also, I would be more than happy to answer any questions/concerns you have in this regard. I would hope that you would give Islam the same consideration that you are willing to give any theistic idea and setting aside all the negative stereotypes that you might have already conceived due to the media portrayal and/or current events caused by some misguided followers.

I would encourage you to read the translation of Holy Quran (Complete English Translation of The Noble Quran) with an open mind as God states :
"(This is) a Book (the Quran) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember. "(Quran 38:29)

For a quick overview of the basics of Islam, please visit :
The Simple Message of GOD: A Catholic's Request: Dispelling the lies about Islam

For a little deeper understanding including some evidences for the truth of Islam, please visit :
Islam Guide: A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam, Muslims, & the Quran

Finally, the bottom line is finding the True God and His message so you can follow Him. Hence, as a fellow human being and a well wisher, I would like to suggest the following to you. Set aside all religion, all holy book and have a heartfelt conversation with our Creator directly - ask Him to guide you towards Him, if He truly exists and be sincere regarding your intention to follow Him if you find the Truth. And I have no doubt in my mind that you will be guided to the Truth.

I wish you Peace and Success in this journey of yours.

I'm still trying to figure out which religion is best for me, but I think I've realized that I can't search for it too much, it has to find me, sorta. Searching has just led me in circles, and made me even more confused, but at the same time I have learned some. It's like the whole "each question answered uncovers more questions" thing. I'm not giving up on finding the right religion for me though, I know it's out there, I just don't know where it is or when I'll find it.

I'm still trying to figure out which religion is best for me, but I think I've realized that I can't search for it too much, it has to find me, sorta. Searching has just led me in circles, and made me even more confused, but at the same time I have learned some. It's like the whole "each question answered uncovers more questions" thing. I'm not giving up on finding the right religion for me though, I know it's out there, I just don't know where it is or when I'll find it.

I think you'll know what works eventually. In this world of instantaneous information, many people are syncretic in their religious practice and belief.

I feel that if you immerse yourself in the beauty of different religions, that could be of big help to you!

Maybe all the religions offer something. Maybe you might mix them. Maybe there is one religion for you. And maybe none. Life is very variant that way!

Titanic

If you do not mind me asking and i do not say this too be mean, but why do you need a religion? just honestly curious.