• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth vs Fact [the coin flip

exchemist

Veteran Member
Fact
Flipping a coin you have just as much chance as getting one side, or the other.

Truth
Flip a coin many times, and you have very little chance of getting a spree of same side ups. Any amount over 10 times, and it's pretty 'interesting', try it. Try to get 10 times same side up.

Now, as a fact, the number does not change, fifty fifty, and even that is abstract, as better put, you have 'just as much chance' of getting a spree as not.

So, try it, do you have 'facts', or is the truth going to present itself?

Start flipping if you want

Arguments, comments welcome
Your terminology is wrong. This does not show a difference between "fact" and "truth". What it shows is the distinction between "probability" and "outcome".

Polymath, being a mathematician, will be able to explain this better than I, but when you do 10 coin flips, the probability of each number of heads and tails outcomes is given by a binomial distribution, in which 10 heads or 10 tails is the least probable and equal numbers of each are most probable but there are also high probabilities of say 6 heads and 4 tails etc. More here: Binomial distribution - Wikipedia

But any particular outcome is possible, including 10 heads. So getting such an outcome does not conflict in any way with what probability predicts.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Fact

Truth
Flip a coin many times, and you have very little chance of getting a spree of same side ups. Any amount over 10 times, and it's pretty 'interesting', try it. Try to get 10 times same side up.

Now, as a fact, the number does not change, fifty fifty, and even that is abstract, as better put, you have 'just as much chance' of getting a spree as not.

Truth is in general what people believe in.
Facts don't care what you believe in.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Fact

Truth

Million to one chances can happen nine times out of ten

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't think it was what the OP meant with his post, that you can "cheat"... but correct me if im wrong? :)

The obvious conclusion that people might reach is that its definitely not as likely to get a spree as anything else. But the reason is because you have to look at it as a sequence of 10 rolls.

H = heads
T = tails

So getting:

H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H

Is just as likely as getting

H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, T, H

That is what you mean right? :)
Wrong. Think of the Bell Curve. Out of a sample of ten flips, the top of the curve (being the most likely result) is 5-H/5-T. The two extremes of the curve (being the least likely results) are 10-H/0-T and 0-H/10-T. Within the sample size, the further you deviate from the average the less likely will be the result.

Nimos

Wrong. Think of the Bell Curve. Out of a sample of ten flips, the top of the curve (being the most likely result) is 5-H/5-T. The two extremes of the curve (being the least likely results) are 10-H/0-T and 0-H/10-T. Within the sample size, the further you deviate from the average the less likely will be the result.
Yeah I see what you mean. Mine only apply if its 10 different numbers :)