• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth vs Fact [the coin flip

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Fact
Flipping a coin you have just as much chance as getting one side, or the other.

Truth
Flip a coin many times, and you have very little chance of getting a spree of same side ups. Any amount over 10 times, and it's pretty 'interesting', try it. Try to get 10 times same side up.

Now, as a fact, the number does not change, fifty fifty, and even that is abstract, as better put, you have 'just as much chance' of getting a spree as not.

So, try it, do you have 'facts', or is the truth going to present itself?

Start flipping if you want

Arguments, comments welcome

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Fact

Truth
Flip a coin many times, and you have very little chance of getting a spree of same side ups. Any amount over 10 times, and it's pretty 'interesting', try it. Try to get 10 times same side up.

Now, as a fact, the number does not change, fifty fifty, and even that is abstract, as better put, you have 'just as much chance' of getting a spree as not.

I can flip a coin 10 times and get the same side up 10 times. It's in what side you start up and rotation and height control. That's a fact.

I won a lot of quarters doing this in high school. That's the truth.

Nimos

I can flip a coin 10 times and get the same side up 10 times. It's in what side you start up and rotation and height control. That's a fact.

I won a lot of quarters doing this in high school. That's the truth.
I don't think it was what the OP meant with his post, that you can "cheat"... but correct me if im wrong? :)

Fact

Truth

The obvious conclusion that people might reach is that its definitely not as likely to get a spree as anything else. But the reason is because you have to look at it as a sequence of 10 rolls.

H = heads
T = tails

So getting:

H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H

Is just as likely as getting

H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, T, H

That is what you mean right? :)

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't think it was what the OP meant with his post, that you can "cheat"... but correct me if im wrong? :)

The obvious conclusion that people might reach is that its definitely not as likely to get a spree as anything else. But the reason is because you have to look at, it as a sequence of 10 rolls.

H = heads
T = tails

So getting:

H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H

Is just as likely as getting

H, H, H, H, H, H, H, H, T, H

That is what you mean right? :)
Pretty much, yes.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If the coin flip is too many variables, then use dice, and increase the rolls, and so forth, however I'm sure we can imagine a situation without repetition problems.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If you flip a coin 10,000 times, you are pretty likely to get a string of 10 heads.

wellwisher

In court, one is required to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It is phrased this way because one can cherry pick the facts, in such a way, as to misrepresent the truth. The truth is the sum of all the facts, but one fact is subset of the whole truth. One fact can be used out of context to misrepresent the truth.

For example, Joe broke his mother's heirloom vase. He does not wish to get into trouble, so he tries to blame his brother, but without lying; inference. He states the fact that his brother was home all day when the vase was broken. This may be a fact, but it misrepresents the truth about the vase.

Facts, misleading the truth, is what was done during the collusion delusion. Many things were set up by intelligences services, to create facts, such as meetings and comments made. These limited facts were massaged to misrepresent the truth. Others facts that are now being discovered, that show that the original fats were choreographed to create a paper trail. This changes the truth, inferred from the facts.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'LL GO WITH THAT, however what is that saying?

That even low probability events happen if you do them often enough.

If we had everyone in the USA flip a coin 10 times, there would be hundreds of thousands that will get 10 heads.

For that matter, if you had everyone in the USA flip a coin 20 times, there would be hundreds that get 20 heads.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Fact

Truth

Not entirely sure what your point is. If you flip a coin 10 times there are 2^10 = 1024 different sequences that are possible, all of which are equally probable. There are only two of those sequences that are all the same way up.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

source.gif

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Even with the variables in this scenario, according to the 'facts', we shouldn't be noticing anything to mention. In other words, wouldn't even be guessing at the odds, here.
Not entirely sure what your point is. If you flip a coin 10 times there are 2^10 = 1024 different sequences that are possible, all of which are equally probable. There are only two of those sequences that are all the same way up.
The 'fact' that no one notices, or conceptualizes, etc. Yes. Your imaginary fact that has absolutely no relation to how it occurs, etc.

'Equally probable'

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
'Equally probable' in this scenario, means that according to facts,
No 'probability' for either side to show, after a sequence of flips, should present itself.

The truth is that a probability is conceptualized without even realizing it, because it's what is observed.

The truth is what is occuring, the fact is what almost never occurs, ie no pattern same side sprees, total unpredictability , etc.

And that's literal, according to the 'fact', you would have totally random sequences.

ratiocinator

Even with the variables in this scenario, according to the 'facts', we shouldn't be noticing anything to mention. In other words, wouldn't even be guessing at the odds, here.

We don't have to guess - it's a simple calculation.

The 'fact' that no one notices, or conceptualizes, etc. Yes. Your imaginary fact that has absolutely no relation to how it occurs, etc.

'Equally probable'

I have no idea what you are trying to say. This situation is transparently simple.

Every possible sequence has the same probability of happening (assuming the coin flip really is 50:50). If you are looking at how probable either of two of them are (all the same way up) it's just 2 divided by the total number. In the ten flips, it's about 0.2%.

ratiocinator

'Equally probable' in this scenario, means that according to facts,
No 'probability' for either side to show, after a sequence of flips, should present itself.

The truth is that a probability is conceptualized without even realizing it, because it's what is observed.

The truth is what is occuring, the fact is what almost never occurs, ie no pattern same side sprees, total unpredictability , etc.

And that's literal, according to the 'fact', you would have totally random sequences.

Nope - I've haven't got a clue what jumble of words means...

Did you generate it by flipping a coin?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Oh, and before some esoteric idea is argued, it's quite obvious to demonstrate this truth, as it would be quite silly to predict a huge sequence of same sides, even though according to the 'fact', there should be no reason not to predict that.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We don't have to guess - it's a simple calculation.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. This situation is transparently simple.

Every possible sequence has the same probability of happening (assuming the coin flip really is 50:50). If you are looking at how probable either of two of them are (all the same way up) it's just 2 divided by the total number. In the ten flips, it's about 0.2%.
The coin flipping goblin is guiding the 'probability'?