• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth in all the World's Religions?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences? To use an example, Muhammad. Muhammad put the majority of his life into reforming what was an extremely barbaric society. He did have time to teach good things in-between, but most of us his life had to be devoted to defending himself against attackers. How different would Muhammad have been if he had lived in a society that allowed him to be more easy going? Even Muhammad taught very similarly to other teachers, but cultural differences sometimes obscure that. Do you think it's true that all the world's religions contain truth?

InvestigateTruth

Hi Senedjem,

I believe the teachings of every major religion that ever came, can be divided into two parts;
1) Fundamental spirtual laws, 2) Material and daily Laws.

"...the Law of God is divided into two parts. One is the fundamental basis which comprises all spiritual things—that is to say, it refers to the spiritual virtues and divine qualities; this does not change nor alter: it is the Holy of Holies, which is the essence of the Law of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Christ, Mu[FONT=Times Ext Roman,Times Ext Roman]h[/FONT]ammad, the Báb, and Bahá’u’lláh, and which lasts and is established in all the prophetic cycles. It will never be abrogated, for it is spiritual and not material truth; it is faith, knowledge, certitude, justice, piety, righteousness, trustworthiness, love of God, benevolence, purity, detachment, humility, meekness, patience and constancy. It shows mercy to the poor, defends the oppressed, gives to the wretched and uplifts the fallen.
These divine qualities, these eternal commandments, will never be abolished; nay, they will last and remain established for ever and ever. These virtues of humanity will be renewed in each of the different cycles; for at the end of every cycle the spiritual Law of God—that is to say, the human virtues—disappears, and only the form subsists.....These foundations of the Religion of God, which are spiritual and which are the virtues of humanity, cannot be abrogated; they are irremovable and eternal, and are renewed in the cycle of every Prophet.

The second part of the Religion of God, which refers to the material world, and which comprises fasting, prayer, forms of worship, marriage and divorce, the abolition of slavery, legal processes, transactions, indemnities for murder, violence, theft and injuries—this part of the Law of God, which refers to material things, is modified and altered in each prophetic cycle in accordance with the necessities of the times. " Abdulbaha - Some Answered Questions

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The various religions teach at times similar messages and at times radically different messages.

How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences? To use an example, Muhammad. Muhammad put the majority of his life into reforming what was an extremely barbaric society. He did have time to teach good things in-between, but most of us his life had to be devoted to defending himself against attackers. How different would Muhammad have been if he had lived in a society that allowed him to be more easy going? Even Muhammad taught very similarly to other teachers, but cultural differences sometimes obscure that. Do you think it's true that all the world's religions contain truth?

I am not offending any one here. But the problem with monotheistic religions is that as they are purely monotheistic, as they believe in one God, and that one story, they cannot accept any other versions. Hence, the "I am right, and you are wrong" argument. As I am from India, many of my teachers (who were Hindus) would say "religions are all the same, they all strive to teach good and talk about the same God". But what they didn't understand is that most Christians and Muslims would disagree with them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences?

That claim can be reasonably made... but only after one takes some care defining and restricting a workable set of religions.

There is no shortage of con jobs and nutjobs presenting themselves as "religions", unfortunately.

But the core of your question is sound. Religions are largely molded by the cultural circunstances of their origins, as is only to be expected. At the same time, there is little significant difference on the root issues that religion is expected to deal with - uncertainty, fear, desire to transcend death, the conflict between individuality and social integration - so it is to be expected that they share a very significant common denominator.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

yes i think most contain some aspects of truth absolutely

InvestigateTruth

I am not offending any one here. But the problem with monotheistic religions is that as they are purely monotheistic, as they believe in one God, and that one story, they cannot accept any other versions. Hence, the "I am right, and you are wrong" argument. As I am from India, many of my teachers (who were Hindus) would say "religions are all the same, they all strive to teach good and talk about the same God". But what they didn't understand is that most Christians and Muslims would disagree with them.

Actually the Baha'i Faith Scriptures confirm that Hinduism and Budhism are true religions from God.
By the way, since you are from india, have you been into the Lotus Temple?

Baha'i House of Worship, New Delhi, India - The Bahá'í House of Worship

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't think that all religions contain truth, though I do think that the obviously false ones tend to die off quickly, so there's a bit of a natural selection effect going on.

Rainbow Mage

... but deficient or superceded versions of truth, right? You do still think that they need the message of the Baha'u'llah, don't you?

Yeah that's what I've noticed too, that Baha'is acknowledge Buddhism as a true religion, but tend to look down on it as though it's extremely distorted or perverted. They claim that very little of Buddha's true teachings still exist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah that's what I've noticed too, that Baha'is acknowledge Buddhism as a true religion, but tend to look down on it as though it's extremely distorted or perverted. They claim that very little of Buddha's true teachings still exist.
Yeah, it seems to me that when it comes right down to it, Baha'i claims of the "truth" of different religions aren't that much different from how the Catholic Church claims that other denominations and religions posess truth as well, though only the Catholic Church has the "fullness of truth"... IOW, that all non-Catholic religions are deficient versions of what the Catholics have. It's just that the Baha'i put a different spin on it.

Rainbow Mage

Personally I know that some of the Buddha's teachings have no survived in their original form, but to say that means most of what we have now are distorted versions of his teachings, that is a stretch. The monks who collected his teachings were as thorough as they could be.

InvestigateTruth

... but deficient or superceded versions of truth, right? You do still think that they need the message of the Baha'u'llah, don't you?

Well, the Baha'i faith believes that there is only one religion, and that's the religion of God. In every age, the religion of God is renewed and also some new teachings and practices are brought in accordance to the Age that people live.

Actually, according to Baha'i writings, there could be a person, who never heard of Baha'u'llah, or the Baha'i Faith, but if whose actions are in accordance with human virtues, that's the right way. So, that means, just because someone is registered as Baha'i, that doesn't make that person above others.

As to weather people need the message of Baha'u'llah, according to the Baha'i scriptures, it is in favour of people to follow the most recent Manifestation of God, which for this age, Baha’is believe He is Baha'u'llah.

It is also worthy to note that, all other Manifestations and prophets had promised that either they will return or some one else will come to renew their religion. That includes, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, Jewish. According to the writings of all these religions, they should expect a promised one to come.

Baha'u'llah proclaimed to be that Premised One.

InvestigateTruth

Yeah, it seems to me that when it comes right down to it, Baha'i claims of the "truth" of different religions aren't that much different from how the Catholic Church claims that other denominations and religions posess truth as well, though only the Catholic Church has the "fullness of truth"... IOW, that all non-Catholic religions are deficient versions of what the Catholics have. It's just that the Baha'i put a different spin on it.

Actually, there is a difference. The Baha'i scriptures doesn't say, if someone doesn't believe in Baha'u'llah, he goes to Hell. It emphasizes on human spiritual virtues as well as unity of mankind in diversity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actually, there is a difference. The Baha'i scriptures doesn't say, if someone doesn't believe in Baha'u'llah, he goes to Hell.
That's not the Catholic take on things either.

It emphasizes on human spiritual virtues as well as unity of mankind in diversity.
Yes - like I said, the difference is a matter of spin (or emphasis, if you prefer), not so much the actual content.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do you think it's true that all the world's religions contain truth?
They all have their crumbs, but their loaves have long since turned to dust.

In this day and age, it is hard to make of decent meal of their meager offerings.

InvestigateTruth

Yes - like I said, the difference is a matter of spin (or emphasis, if you prefer), not so much the actual content.

Well, fundamentally all religions teach the same spiritual teachings. But actually, In Baha'i Faith, there are many differences in terms of practices and laws.

there is also a significant difference in the organization. For example, Baha'is don't have any clergy according to scriptures. But according to Baha'i scriptures, the assemblies are elected by voting every year to handle certain duties. But no individual has a higher station in the faith, even the members of Universal House of justice.

Also, there are no sects in the Baha'i Faith. Like other religions, there have been attempts to make sects, but because the organization of the Faith is well described in the Baha’i writings, none of the attempts has been successful and they never grew significantly.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, fundamentally all religions teach the same spiritual teachings.
Sadly, many of these great "spiritual truths" are little more than common sense to anyone who is not a raving psychopath. I think that many religions take far more credit than they actually deserve. My thinking is that if a given religion did not echo the entrenched thinking of their day, there is little likelihood that they would have succeeded in swelling their ranks. Their homilies "play to the choir", upon which they can heap their assertions, for which, they have no evidence. It's almost directly from the P. T. Barnum playbook.

Last edited: