• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump won because political correctness, liberalism, and sjws have run amok.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From my observation the demographics of the people who made the largest voter impact on Trump election are people whose idea of "PC" are still sour over gay marriage being legalized outside of state vote. Not people of the age wondering whether or not college campuses think Milo is too much of an *** pimple to be invited to regurgitate his profoundly unenlightening drivel on their floors with official time slots. (Ask how I really feel).
In which case I am of the people who think the first three sentences of the article is more important than the rest of it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think there is a lot of truth to this article. The anti-Trump brigade fails to appreciate that Trump was enabled by their over-reach and he was elected because a lot of people just wanted to see the anti-Trump people's heads explode. It worked. The rest is just an extended popcorn moment that keeps on going and going and going. You can almost smell the outrage and intellectual condescension.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Trump got the "I want change" vote. Happens every four to eight years back and forth between repubilican and democrat president. A lot of factors but for people who were voting Obama to change their vote, that's what I saw a lot of. Many probably just stayed home. Really the country leans left on everything except for maybe abortion, may be more even. There is a larger issue of voters being subject to a false dichotomy for president choices every four years.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I don't think its political correctness but because of the lost of free speech without being ridiculed. Its a belief that if that you don't have the right to defend your beliefs if you are being critical to a portion of the populous. Its also the criticism that if you are critical of a minority rights it must be that you are bigoted and written off. People want government out of day to day events whether they are good or bad intentions. It started a long time ago, Seat belt laws, helmet laws you can be fined or arrested for not taking care of yourself properly. Government has gone to far into the general lives of us. The liberals get the worst of it because they want to protect everyone by government regulation. The right gets it because they want religion to be the law of the land. People want to live free.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Many leftists are nearly as irrational as the right-wing, so it's definitely conceivable.
That's been well demonstrated so far as the vitriol continually spews on. Even here on the forum.

While I understand various good intentions that lay behind the pc and sjw movement that reflects and motivates modern liberalism, it's no question that they essentially have become the very people that they speak out against without even realizing it.

Evergreen State College is essentially the poster child reflecting the type of people that they really are.

Trump stands up to it all, and is not afraid to speak his mind about things. I think that's one of the appeals that got him in office in spite of his negative personality quirks.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think there is a lot of truth to this article. The anti-Trump brigade fails to appreciate that Trump was enabled by their over-reach and he was elected because a lot of people just wanted to see the anti-Trump people's heads explode. It worked. The rest is just an extended popcorn moment that keeps on going and going and going. You can almost smell the outrage and intellectual condescension.

Will the popcorn consumption intensify when the nation disappears beneath the water's surface?

Twilight Hue

I don't think its political correctness but because of the lost of free speech without being ridiculed. Its a belief that if that you don't have the right to defend your beliefs if you are being critical to a portion of the populous. Its also the criticism that if you are critical of a minority rights it must be that you are bigoted and written off. People want government out of day to day events whether they are good or bad intentions. It started a long time ago, Seat belt laws, helmet laws you can be fined or arrested for not taking care of yourself properly. Government has gone to far into the general lives of us. The liberals get the worst of it because they want to protect everyone by government regulation. The right gets it because they want religion to be the law of the land. People want to live free.
I think political correctness is significant enough that it needs addressing, but you do make a lot of very good points here.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

There was so much involved. It is incredibly misguided to attribute it to just this.

Twilight Hue

I can't say I didn't feel a sense of elation at seeing these entitled minded people on their knees pathetically screaming and crying at not suddenly getting their way.

It seems like a poetic sense of justice has been served in hindsight at just how badly convoluted our society has become now.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I agree with this in part, but I don't think it is all reasonable.

People should be able to say whatever they want, no matter who it offends (as long as it isn't directly asking to incite violence or panic). But, that also means that those who use offensive language should be ready and willing to accept ridicule.

It is 100% unreasonable for anyone to expect to be able to offend others, but be free from others offending them with ridicule.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The OP is largely laughable.

People tend to vote their pocketbook more than any other single factor, and that was definitely true in the 2016 election as wages have been stagnant, plus there's been a steady erosion of rural and small town economies due to jobs moving out.

The rural vote went heavily for Trump, and I said before the election that I thought Trump was going to win because, when I went out into rural Michigan, normally a blue state, all I saw were Trump/Pence signs.

I don't think anyone that I have ever met would vote for someone or against someone simply because of "political correctness".

Twilight Hue

Here are some excerpts from the source he flashed the headline of.

"Google general counsel Kent Walker in a June Financial Times op-ed, which announced YouTube was taking several steps to inhibit extremist videos. These steps included investing in machine-learning technology to help identify videos associated with terrorism, increasing the number of “Trusted Flaggers” to identify content that can be used to radicalize terrorists, and redirecting potential extremist recruits to watch counterterrorism videos instead."

Trusted flagers? Flags can be appealed, so if a video genuinely doesn't have anything wrong with it, this shouldn't be an issue. If it actually prevents terror, this is unilaterally a good thing, no?

"Now, when YouTube decides that a flagged video doesn’t break policy but still contains “controversial religious or supremacist content,” the video will be put in a “limited state.” Here, the video will exist in a sort of limbo where it won’t be recommended or monetized. It also won’t include suggested videos or allow comments or likes."

Oh look, the video is still allowed to remain on the website too. Really makes the use of "censorship" an obvious buzzword rather than genuine analysis.

"The update also touted the success of the machine-learning-driven removal of content, claiming that over the last month, YouTube algorithms have found 75 percent of policy-violating extremist content before a human was able to flag the videos."

Sounds good to me.

Not to me at all.

In Mention of algorithms to police speech and content is pretty Orwellian....

So, who makes those decisions or programs the algorithm to determine what adult people can or cannot watch?

It's all fear based censorship backed by political correctness and sjws. Those people that's who.

Appeal processes are completely worthless if foxes are running the chicken coop here, compelling people to modify or delete themselves from a "safe" area intentionally designed to be free from outside search terms where commentary and subscribe and like is disabled upon viewing censoring the viewer as well as the videos producer.

Not to mention there is redrect feature implemented that upon a keyword search, steers a person in deliberate directions to videos supporting a pc or sjw viewpoint in opposition to the givin "offending" search term making it near impossible to find the offending video in question.

It's a pretty broad concern involving a LOT of people who understandably are getting if not already sick and tired of all this.

Keep it up past social media, and Trump just might be very well a shoe-in for a second term.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The OP is largely laughable.

People tend to vote their pocketbook more than any other single factor, and that was definitely true in the 2016 election as wages have been stagnant, plus there's been a steady erosion of rural and small town economies due to jobs moving out.

The rural vote went heavily for Trump, and I said before the election that I thought Trump was going to win because, when I went out into rural Michigan, normally a blue state, all I saw were Trump/Pence signs.

I don't think anyone that I have ever met would vote for someone or against someone simply because of "political correctness".

I originally come from a small, rural Midwestern town that went overwhelmingly for Trump. The folks I know who voted for him didn't do so because they are concerned with political correctness. They voted their pocket books. They voted for Trump because jobs in their neck of the woods have been getting fewer and poorer for decades, and very little to nothing was done about that under Obama. There were other reasons too, but I think that was the main one.