• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump supporters getting a taste of that "maga" magic.

ecco

Veteran Member
Then maybe they can give Canada an exemption. That's really beside the point.
Rather than an exemption, Trump made Canada a target.

Then why would we be importing it at all?
Because we don't make enough at reasonable prices to supply our own needs.

Because Americans like to buy big SUV's instead of small Cruzes.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It seems pointless and counterintuitive to me. The only reason for importing anything is if we don't have enough of it here. The only reason for exporting is if we have an excess of something.

It may be a good idea to have back ups, but if the issue is free trade between Canada and the U.S., why not just unify and form a single country? Then it would be no different than commerce and trade within a country.

Besides, if Trump is as bad as everyone is saying (just like Hitler), then the Anschluss between the U.S. and Canada is coming anyway. Be ready for it. :D
I think this is a good time for the U.S. to consider becoming the fourth Canadian territory.

There is a form you need to fill out, but you can do it online.

ecco

Veteran Member
I've seen it accompanied by blatant misinformation and malice towards American workers, such as the idea that "they do jobs Americans won't do" (patently false)
Americans do not pick crops. In part this is due to low wages and poor working conditions for pickers. But if we raise the wages and improve the working conditions, stores will have to pay substantially more for domestic fruits and vegetables. That will cause more demand for imported fruits and vegetables. And then Trump will impose more tariffs on fruits and vegetables. And on and on it goes.

ecco

Veteran Member
The only reason for importing anything is if we don't have enough of it here.
You are a manufacturer of golf carts.
You can buy steel from Pennsylvania for $1000/metric ton.
You can buy steel from China for $800/metric ton.
As a good businessman, what would you do?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I tried to Google Bob Dyke to see where he got his degree in International Economics, or Political Science, or even if he at one time ran a steel mill. Couldn't seem to find anything.
By chance, what are yours? Have you even ever taken an economics course?

BTW, even some Republican-oriented economists are upset with him over this.

tytlyf

Not Religious

BSM1

What? Me worry?
By chance, what are yours? Have you even ever taken an economics course?

BTW, even some Republican-oriented economists are upset with him over this.

Again. please follow, I am not the one making outlandish comments in a public setting without knowing a) what I am talking about or b) no discernible credentials that would deemed me knowledgeable about the subject so broached.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I agree, but that's not what we've seen these past 30+ years.

I think what floors me more than anything is that those who ostensibly identify as "liberal" are supporting right-wing economic policies. I also think that, while many people have good reasons to hate and oppose Trump, this is not one of them.

I'm sorry that I don't fit some silly, back and white, two dimensional stereotype in your head. Politics are more complex than simple labels, and I can't be sized up like that.
When it comes to Trump, it's not simply "left vs. right", but an actual matter of ethics and competency, things that shouldn't be partisan issues.
Only complete buffoons would be blindly loyal to a politician or party just because they share their political leanings, especially after that politician/party turns out to be a disastrous dumpster fire.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Again. please follow, I am not the one making outlandish comments in a public setting without knowing a) what I am talking about or b) no discernible credentials that would deemed me knowledgeable about the subject so broached.

If he was saying positive things about Trump and the tariffs, you would be nodding your head in agreement rather than complaining that he should have a degree in economics.
What are your degrees? I want to know so I can determine which posts of yours are worthless and should be ignored.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
That's hogwash and not credible. Why do you take the word of a far-right random website blog on the internet? Did you see the description of the website? I can find some no-name random website on the intranetz too. I just don't rely on them as truth.

Well, I guess the Virginia Research Institute is some random right wing blog with no credibility as well:

Liberal or conservative? Brain responses to disgusting images help reveal political leanings | research.vtc.vt.edu

The Washington Post with it's left centre bias:
Your brain’s response to a gross photo can reveal your political leanings - The Washington Post

Washington Post - Media Bias/Fact Check

The L.A. Times:
Liberal or conservative? Brain's 'disgust' reaction holds the answer

I'm sorry that I don't fit some silly, back and white, two dimensional stereotype in your head.

You asked for a link and I provided it (all easily found), it's not my fault you fit the mold in this specific case with your specific quote so don't get all butt hurt over it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well, I guess the Virginia Research Institute is some random right wing blog with no credibility as well:

Liberal or conservative? Brain responses to disgusting images help reveal political leanings | research.vtc.vt.edu

Your brain’s response to a gross photo can reveal your political leanings - The Washington Post

The L.A. Times:

You asked for a link and I provided it (all easily found), it's not my fault you fit the mold in this specific case with your specific quote so don't get all butt hurt over it.

Okay, I just read both the VTC and WP articles, and neither suggested that liberals have a "feces fixation". If anything, they suggested that conservatives are fearful, squeamish pussies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I would suggest another approach, namely the man has an opinion so why not show where he's wrong?

tytlyf

Not Religious

The L.A. Times:

Interesting that none of those links say the left is the 'party of poop.'

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Okay, I just read both the VTC and WP articles, and neither suggested that liberals have a "feces fixation". If anything, they suggested that conservatives are fearful, squeamish pussies.
If you remember correctly I said some liberals and you got defensive, as far as the rest that is the conclusion that I disagreed with and provided two very clear examples as to why that conclusion is flawed.
You are the one that first spoke of someone defecating in someones mouth and just as a side note you did use foul language and that is another sign that the original source was correct in your particular case:
"Leftists are more likely than conservatives to rely on obscenities"
Source:

Science may explain why the Left is the "party of poop" - Bookworm Room

ecco

Veteran Member
The studies also found that most Conservatives suffer from xenophobia.

The Republicans are indeed the party of fear and use it to promote their agendas. They are also excellent at coming up with catch-phrases to instill these fears into the sheeples.

Weak on Defense
Soft on Crime
Anti God

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry that I don't fit some silly, back and white, two dimensional stereotype in your head. Politics are more complex than simple labels, and I can't be sized up like that.

Sorry if it came across that way, but I wasn't speaking of you personally. I was just speaking generally.

When it comes to Trump, it's not simply "left vs. right", but an actual matter of ethics and competency, things that shouldn't be partisan issues.
Only complete buffoons would be blindly loyal to a politician or party just because they share their political leanings, especially after that politician/party turns out to be a disastrous dumpster fire.

I see more about principles rather than personalities. I think blindly opposing someone just because one doesn't like their personality is just as bad, if not worse. I've always been against free trade, ever since the Republicans started foisting that lemon upon America back in the 1980s.

That the Democrats went along with it is a wanton betrayal of one of the core principles of the Democratic Party.

I get the feeling that if Trump said "2+2=4," his opponents would disagree just because Trump said it. That's how many of them come across these days.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because we don't make enough at reasonable prices to supply our own needs.

Then I guess they shouldn't have closed all those steel mills and turned an entire section of the country into what is commonly known as the Rust Belt. Then we'd make enough domestically to meet the demand. That was a choice we made, as a country, and it was a misguided choice.

We now have the chance to make better choices.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You are a manufacturer of golf carts.
You can buy steel from Pennsylvania for $1000/metric ton.
You can buy steel from China for $800/metric ton.
As a good businessman, what would you do?

Obviously, businesses will choose the lower price, but that's the whole reason for imposing tariffs, in order to equalize and balance trade.

On the other hand, the steel manufacturers in Pennsylvania could lower their prices to compete better, although they wouldn't necessarily have to pay their workers less. (Although even if they did, there's a solution for that, too.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Americans do not pick crops.

There are many members of my extended family (all Americans) who would disagree with you on this point.

In part this is due to low wages and poor working conditions for pickers.

And whose fault is that?

But if we raise the wages and improve the working conditions, stores will have to pay substantially more for domestic fruits and vegetables. That will cause more demand for imported fruits and vegetables. And then Trump will impose more tariffs on fruits and vegetables. And on and on it goes.

Price controls are the answer. It's not because the workers earn too much, it's because the owners demand too much. The wealthiest 1% take too much money, and that's where the focus should be. Force them to lower their prices and raise wages for their workers, and things would get much, much better - almost overnight.