• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump or Sharia law?

MD

qualiaphile
My camp?
What camp?

I'm completely confused by this thread. I'll answer based on what I think you mean.

You have identified someone who is a leftie.
You have identified an article outlining hypocrisy from said someone.
You then assume all lefties are defending said hypocrisy.
Further, you assume all people left of you are lefties.

It's not just a bridge too far, but about 100 bridges too far.
It's akin to judging all 'righties' as card-carrying members of the KKK.

You'll know when I defend her, because I'll actually say something in her defence.

So your confrontational attitude has been for what? In jest? To give yourself a feeling of intellectual superiority?

If you didn't feel strongly enough to defend her, then why bother posting critiques? For ****s n giggles?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
So your confrontational attitude has been for what? In jest? To give yourself a feeling of intellectual superiority?

If you didn't feel strongly enough to defend her, then why bother posting critiques? For ****s n giggles?
Because you're blowing an issue out of proportion because it fulfills some knee-jerk aggression you feel towards certain views and movements?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

In the first place, your links taken together are evidence there is some debate over what Sarsour supports and what she doesn't support. At the very least, your characterization of her as supporting Sharia law ignores that controversy.

In the second place, there were a total of almost 3 million protesters marching on the 21st in America alone. How many of those do your links actually cite as rushing to Sarsour's support? A few dozen. Where are the numbers of supporters on the left that you claim? Such sloppy reasoning as you evince here is nothing new. What is new is seeing it embraced even by relatively intelligent people.

MD

qualiaphile
Because you're blowing an issue out of proportion because it fulfills some knee-jerk aggression you feel towards certain views and movements?

Would you have said the same thing if I were black and she had some 'minor' white supremacy views?

Or if I was Jewish and she had some pro Nazi views?

Ignoring cultural contexts that lie outside your box does not erase the contexts, nor do they eliminate their seriousness.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What you neglected to say is that Linda Sarsour is an Arab American and a Muslim, so its not at all surprising she has some positive things to say about Islamic law.

Linda Sarsour - Wikipedia

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Because you took it and ran with it, painting Lefties, and deciding there was no such thing as liberalism. I don't need to defend her to call bull****.

MD

qualiaphile
Because you took it and ran with it, painting Lefties, and deciding there was no such thing as liberalism. I don't need to defend her to call bull****.

What is bull****? That the Left picks and chooses it's boogeymen. Had she been a white supremacist, the backlash would have been enormous.

However since she's an Islamist, there has been an outpouring of support. And that's okay? Why should the principles of truth and freedom be selectively applied?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What is bull****? That the Left picks and chooses it's boogeymen. Had she been a white supremacist, the backlash would have been enormous.

However since she's an Islamist, there has been an outpouring of support. And that's okay? Why should the principles of truth and freedom be selectively applied?

So let me get this straight, you're all bent out of shape because one of the organizers of the women's march was an Arab and a Muslim to boot, and you don't think Muslims should be allowed to organize and support women to march against Trump, do you think only white women should be allowed to protest, or do you allow blacks and hispanics to organize just not Muslims, seems like a big glaring case of Islamophobia. In case you haven't been made aware one of the biggest groups Trump has set out to discriminate against is Muslims, and women. Why the heck wouldn't you expect a Muslim woman to be supporting the march, and what could possibly be wrong with it, oh I get it, do you have a problem with Muslims, well don't let it bother you, Muslims outnumber you 1.5 billion to one.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you have said the same thing if I were black and she had some 'minor' white supremacy views?

Or if I was Jewish and she had some pro Nazi views?

Ignoring cultural contexts that lie outside your box does not erase the contexts, nor do they eliminate their seriousness.
So does this mean that, as you're clearly calling on the left to disavow her and people who support her, you're going to turn a more critical eye to the right's problems with white supremacist ties? Or are you being as hypocritical as you say the left is?

Laika

Premium Member
Linda Sarsour’s Muslim Identity Politics Epitomize Feminism’s Hypocrisy

Women's March organizer Linda Sarsour has repeatedly defended Sharia law. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the law, there's a lot of unpleasant things going on with it (stoning, beheading, etc). Not to mention the worth of one woman being half of a man, limit of religious freedom,etc.

Not surprisingly Leftists have rushed to defend her, which highlights the movements deep ties and sympathies towards Islamism. There is no real push for true liberal ideals anymore, simply the fight between two forms of fascism.

This leaves us with just one question: Is a strong Right Wing cultural backlash necessary to preserve the ideals of Western civilization? Or should the West just give up?

I hope it isn't a choice between two forms of fascism, though I suspect it is. I agree that liberal idealism appears near bankcrupt and we are watching the deathrows of the neo-liberal, globalist multi-cultural project.

However, the "right" cannot reject western ideals of science and enlightenment through denial of climate change. There is a high predisposition amongst conservatives and libertarians to either ignore or minimise the threat of climate change. If muslims pose a threat to western values now, they will only be more so when the middle east is rendered near uninhabitable by global temprature increases and the displacement of the population due to food and fresh water shortages. there still has to be a planet to live on or else this is just rhetoric that will send us into sectarian and nationalist violence when the environmental problems start that just aren't sexy enough to make it on 24/7 new cycle. We'd rather talk about violent muslims than dead polar bears and burning rainforests.

If the right want to save western civilisation- feel free. Someone has to. We are on a suicide mission right now and no-one is getting us off it. I'm all for someone getting off their *** and doing something if its workable.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Because you're essentially putting words in @lewisnotmiller's mouth when you claim that leftists as a group support her and that since he's a leftist he should have to defend this? Mine too, by the way as I've also never heard of Linda Sarsour before today.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You seem to be ignoring the Iranian Marxists who allied with Khomeini during the revolution.

Then why do you defend her? How can she represent a movement that's supposed to be against misogyny, while supporting one of the most misogynistic establishments in the history of humanity?

I have not seen any one defend her, for her support of sharia law on this forum. She was neither the marchers nor represented many of their individual views.

Women have serious issues with Trump and parts of society. Trump is not particularly right wing and ploughs his own furrow on very many issues. He is certainly opinionated and self aggrandising and attacks any one who disagrees with any thing he says or believes. He has no interest in Facts or the views of Experts or proof. What ever his own view is, trumps every one else.

Sharia law is not an issue in the USA nor is it likely to be one.

That some women, who support sharia also support women's issues is neither surprising nor concerning.
many women who would identify as right wingers also support these same issues and were also organisers.

The attempt to label these marches as raving Lefties is counter productive. "Women" are a section of society in their own right and cover every political segment.
Women's rights should be a concern for everyone. and that include right wing white males.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

The principles of truth and freedom? Okay then.
Look, the point is much simpler than you're making it.

There is no great Left. You talk like they're the Evil Empire. It reminds me of when people throw some comment Richard Dawkins has made up as a reason atheists are...whatever...

She's one person. You can't extrapolate what she says to draw meaningful conclusions about The Left. Hell, I don't even know how you identify the left, and I'm probably one of them.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Linda Sarsour’s Muslim Identity Politics Epitomize Feminism’s Hypocrisy

Women's March organizer Linda Sarsour has repeatedly defended Sharia law. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the law, there's a lot of unpleasant things going on with it (stoning, beheading, etc). Not to mention the worth of one woman being half of a man, limit of religious freedom,etc.

Not surprisingly Leftists have rushed to defend her, which highlights the movements deep ties and sympathies towards Islamism. There is no real push for true liberal ideals anymore, simply the fight between two forms of fascism.

This leaves us with just one question: Is a strong Right Wing cultural backlash necessary to preserve the ideals of Western civilization? Or should the West just give up?

Extreme right wing apologists and providers of misinformation, like yourself.
Are very easy to identify and see through.

In this case, your pathetic attempt to create a false dichotomy, between Trump and an almost unknown person of no particular significance. Is a self evident ploy to discredit women's issues and those that support them.

What you are doing is both spamming and trolling this forum.

The Ideals of western society have always been founded on a liberal ethos. There is no such thing as a right wing backlash. Western society never has been based on right wing ideology. What we are seeing is an attempt at a right wing takeover.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
This comparison between women oppression in the Muslim world vs the west is the new right wing talking point, designed to specifically morally discredit the women's march.

If you read extreme right wing media, you'll probably hear the argument and agree with it.

It is otherwise nonsense. A similar argument might go something like this:

A. A political organizer, who is also a member of the KKK, has a small role in helping to organize a rally for Trump.

B. Political organizer is praised for his/her work organizing the rally by someone.

C. Therefore. Anyone who attended the rally or feel stirred to political action is automatically supportive of the KKK.

Huh?

:eek:

MD

qualiaphile
Extreme right wing apologists and providers of misinformation, like yourself.
Are very easy to identify and see through.

In this case, your pathetic attempt to create a false dichotomy, between Trump and an almost unknown person of no particular significance. Is a self evident ploy to discredit women's issues and those that support them.

What you are doing is both spamming and trolling this forum.

The Ideals of western society have always been founded on a liberal ethos. There is no such thing as a right wing backlash. Western society never has been based on right wing ideology. What we are seeing is an attempt at a right wing takeover.

Where was your anger when thousands of girls were raped in Rotherham?

MD

qualiaphile
So does this mean that, as you're clearly calling on the left to disavow her and people who support her, you're going to turn a more critical eye to the right's problems with white supremacist ties? Or are you being as hypocritical as you say the left is?

Given that I'm not white myself and face considerable scrutiny and troubles as a poc, I obviously cannot support white supremacists