• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump or Sharia law?

MD

qualiaphile
This comparison between women oppression in the Muslim world vs the west is the new right wing talking point, designed to specifically morally discredit the women's march.

If you read extreme right wing media, you'll probably hear the argument and agree with it.

It is otherwise nonsense. A similar argument might go something like this:

A. A political organizer, who is also a member of the KKK, has a small role in helping to organize a rally for Trump.

B. Political organizer is praised for his/her work organizing the rally by someone.

C. Therefore. Anyone who attended the rally or feel stirred to political action is automatically supportive of the KKK.

Huh?

:eek:

And what of those who have witnessed this oppression first hand, and have worked with organizations that deal with horrific forms of said oppression? Are you leftists going to dismiss anything that does not fit your narrow world view?

MD

qualiaphile
The principles of truth and freedom? Okay then.
Look, the point is much simpler than you're making it.

There is no great Left. You talk like they're the Evil Empire. It reminds me of when people throw some comment Richard Dawkins has made up as a reason atheists are...whatever...

She's one person. You can't extrapolate what she says to draw meaningful conclusions about The Left. Hell, I don't even know how you identify the left, and I'm probably one of them.

She's a national organizer, one of three. Given how pervasive Gulf funding is in lobby groups, education and social media, her position and views is very concerning.

For people to not realize that is incredibly confusing.

MD

qualiaphile
Another non sequitur.

Are you realy that daft.

If I remember correctly you said that nothing can be done. That the thousands of British women who are raped by Muslim gangs yearly is out of your control. But you get angry at this? Lol.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
And what of those who have witnessed this oppression first hand, and have worked with organizations that deal with horrific forms of said oppression? Are you leftists going to dismiss anything that does not fit your narrow world view?

I'm atheist and I happen to think Islam is filled with bad ideas, and sharia law is an awful form of government that oppresses anyone who disagrees with them.

I am also rather left when it comes to social freedoms and economic restrictions that serve the common good.

You seem to be trying to mash those two views together somehow to expose some kind of problem with liberals as a whole, but I am at a loss as to how you are managing to make those wild leaps i judgement.

Explain to me what you think my position is first, and maybe we can go from there?

Kirran

Premium Member
I think that MD is raising valid questions here, regarding insufficient scrutiny of Islamist ideologies and the social views promoted by many (although not all) forms of Islam within the Western progressive movement, as well as a lack of awareness within American society of problems occurring elsewhere in the world. The latter in relation to the 'Where were they when...' comments. These are fair points. But these aren't universal problems in either, and to try and make Linda Sarsour somehow emblematic of blanket positions you assume 'the Left' is taking, especially when her positions regarding the nature of Islamic sharia are as yet unconfirmed, does not hold water and legitimises the perfectly valid points you were making alongside it.

Like yeah, Islamism is bad, it's a problem, but the things which are actually confronting people in the West right now are what people focus on, and those are things which Sarsour agrees with the progressives on.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If I remember correctly you said that nothing can be done. That the thousands of British women who are raped by Muslim gangs yearly is out of your control. But you get angry at this? Lol.

Now you are putting words in to my mouth.
Everything you write is disinformation. And innuendo.

When did you stop beating your wife?

MD

qualiaphile
I'm atheist and I happen to think Islam is filled with bad ideas, and sharia law is an awful form of government that oppresses anyone who disagrees with them.

I am also rather left when it comes to social freedoms and economic restrictions that serve the common good.

You seem to be trying to mash those two views together somehow to expose some kind of problem with liberals as a whole, but I am at a loss as to how you are managing to make those wild leaps i judgement.

Explain to me what you think my position is first, and maybe we can go from there?

Sharia law is not simply oppressive, to a westerner it is extremely oppressive. I have lived under Sharia and can tell all you lefties you don't know ****.

The Left should condemn this person, many on Twitter and in the media are celebrating her. That makes the Left extremely hypocritical, as has been highlighted by Sam Harris and Bill Maher.

Why has there not been a leftist backlash against her?

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Sharia law is not simply oppressive, to a westerner it is extremely oppressive. I have lived under Sharia and can tell all you lefties you don't know ****.

The Left should condemn this person, many on Twitter and in the media are celebrating her. That makes the Left extremely hypocritical, as has been highlighted by Sam Harris and Bill Maher.

What would a leftist backlash look like?

MD

qualiaphile
I think that MD is raising valid questions here, regarding insufficient scrutiny of Islamist ideologies and the social views promoted by many (although not all) forms of Islam within the Western progressive movement, as well as a lack of awareness within American society of problems occurring elsewhere in the world. The latter in relation to the 'Where were they when...' comments. These are fair points. But these aren't universal problems in either, and to try and make Linda Sarsour somehow emblematic of blanket positions you assume 'the Left' is taking, especially when her positions regarding the nature of Islamic sharia are as yet unconfirmed, does not hold water and legitimises the perfectly valid points you were making alongside it.

Like yeah, Islamism is bad, it's a problem, but the things which are actually confronting people in the West right now are what people focus on, and those are things which Sarsour agrees with the progressives on.

I think it is a universal problem, shouldn't we focus on the rights of all women? Given demographic trends it will become larger and larger.

Thanks for your nicer post. Please. Regards.

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
What would a leftist backlash look like?

Leftist media condemning her, not supporting her. Leftists on Twitter shunning her, not calling her a hero.

I come from a different cultural context (Middle Eastern) but it seems that the Left picks and chooses it's enemies and allies. Sometimes defending those whose values are identical to the people they're against.

Kirran

Premium Member
I think it is a universal problem, shouldn't we focus on the rights of all women?

Yeah, straight up. But I could sympathise with those who say we should start at home, although I don't know that I'd be championing the idea.

Thanks for your nicer post. Please. Regards.

You expect a certain degree of reaction, I suspect :p Right? Please.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

What has Sam Harris and Bill Maher to do with this, you show no connection.

MD

qualiaphile
Yeah, straight up. But I could sympathise with those who say we should start at home, although I don't know that I'd be championing the idea.

You expect a certain degree of reaction, I suspect :p Right? Please.

Given demographic trends, it will definitely become a problem at home one day.

Most people reacted, thinking I'm some white supremacist pro Trump dude. I wonder if I broke their liberal brains when they realize I'm not white, nor pro Trump and come from 0 wealth, privilege and status.