• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump: "I Will Protect Our LGBTQ Citizens'

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A State Constitutional Amendment preventing Indiana from recognizing my marriage.

I trust someone is challenging that since it defies the SCOTUS ruling. And as we all (should) know, the US Constitution trumps state constitutions. The other law, well yeah he can do that.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
With a new conservative majority on the court (not yet seen, but Trump named people he would likely nominate...maybe he will, maybe he won't) and conservatives in charge of the hearing and approval process in the Senate), the court could choose to revisit the decision to make marriage open to LGBT community. And many other decisions to protect individual rights.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I trust someone is challenging that since it defies the SCOTUS ruling. And as we all (should) know, the US Constitution trumps state constitutions. The other law, well yeah he can do that.
Oh it gets better.
Once it became clear that the amendment would bring out more voters against than for, the legislature stopped it from going on the ballot as scheduled. Pence and co. came up with RFRA as a sort of consolation prize for the outraged Christian right who had been duped by politicians, again.
The amendment would have been nullified by SCOTUS. This all happened before last year. But Pence has never pretended he is for equal rights under the Constitution, he is all about "religious freedom". Which is completely different.
Pence also did his best to overturn RvW, to the extent he could.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
....higher taxes,
Taxes are not a part of liberty, though both are a part of a healthy and functioning society. If you actually make enough for her to tax you more, congratulations on actually making enough money. You'll still have plenty more left over than most people.
reduced gun rights
She hasn't come for your guns.
"obliterating" my in-laws in Iran
That is one valid concern.
limiting political speech
When, where?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
With a new conservative majority on the court (not yet seen, but Trump named people he would likely nominate...maybe he will, maybe he won't) and conservatives in charge of the hearing and approval process in the Senate), the court could choose to revisit the decision to make marriage open to LGBT community. And many other decisions to protect individual rights.
With the way he's been changing his voice and positions, it wouldn't surprise me if he balks on that to try appeal to some more on the Left so he isn't totally flushed out in 2020.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pence is the VP.
Unless Trump is assassinated, Pence is merely tits on a boar.
And I've stated, numerous times, that is a serious concern of mine. Trump is currently facing at least 70 lawsuits.
And the discussion was that Pence has attacked LBGT Hoosiers and other Indiana residents.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
She was in politics for 30 years and it never happened. Trump hasn't been in office yet, anywhere ever.
No, I don't see any relevant similarity.
Tom
When in politics, she opposed gay marriage, she supported DOMA.
And you want this person in power?
She "evolved" in order to win votes.
But once in office, will she revert?

It's not healthy to get all worked up over the worst imaginable Trump scenarios...
....as though Hillary didn't pose her own set of risks. Sure, sure, you don't see
the threat she posed to other people as cromulent as the risk he poses to you,
but this is a diverse country full of people with concerns which differ from yours.
Democrats clearly care less about gun rights, the horror of war, speech rights,
confiscatory taxation, property rights, etc, etc. There is much more going on
than gay marriage.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And I've stated, numerous times, that is a serious concern of mine. Trump is currently facing at least 70 lawsuits.
And the discussion was that Pence has attacked LBGT Hoosiers and other Indiana residents.
No one should worry about the number of suits Trump is facing.
I dislike Pence.
But if Hillary had won, I wouldn't be agonizing over Kaine's bad points.
That would be unreasonably fearful.

Nothing is served by calls to arms because of the extraordinarily unlikely possibility that Trump might give Pence free rein to overturn entrenched changes.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There is much more going on
than gay marriage.
I know that you find this hard to grasp, but I don't personally care much about gay marriage. Doug and I decided that we are already married enough ;)
It's the dismissal of equal rights as a concept that I am disheartened by. Pence doesn't believe in those and Trump picked him for VP.

There are many other potential disasters Trump could cause that are much more likely than breaking up my marriage.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know that you find this hard to grasp.....
Just write slowly, & avoid big words.
.....but I don't personally care much about gay marriage. Doug and I decided that we are already married enough ;)
It's the dismissal of equal rights as a concept that I am disheartened by. Pence doesn't believe in those and Trump picked him for VP.
There are many other potential disasters Trump could cause that are much more likely than breaking up my marriage.
Tom
We all on both sides (& the tertiary sides) saw threats to various liberties.
Some liberties I like aren't important to other people, so this makes it
hard for them to understand that Hillary also posed a threat.
Reasonable people can disagree about who was the lesser threat.
And the ones who lost the election need to become reasonable again.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But if Hillary had won, I wouldn't be agonizing over Kaine's bad points.
That would be unreasonably fearful.
Ignoring warnings that smoking "can cause" cancer isn't wise. Nor is smoking in a place that stores gun powder.
They're assaulted for being white.
I have never, not once, been challenged, questioned, attacked, assaulted, or any such thing for being white. Yes, there are racists who hate white people, but "being white" isn't even on the list of things I've ever been attacked or ridiculed for (not unless you count how the MidWest sun does not get along with my Irish genes).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ignoring warnings that smoking "can cause" cancer isn't wise. Nor is smoking in a place that stores gun powder.
One cannot live one's life by making analogies to justify dwelling in a false reality of worst case scenarios.
And at least we dodged the bullet....
Had Hillary won, we'd be living under martial law with all guns confiscated after she nuked Iran just before the war with Russia began.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One cannot live one's life by making analogies to justify dwelling in a false reality of worst case scenarios.
I've never claimed it is a reality, but a real potential given the man is only a half-step away from holding the top political position. It's bad enough I'll be one of the first ones in line to keep Trump in office just to keep Pence out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've never claimed it is a reality, but a real potential given the man is only a half-step away from holding the top political position. It's bad enough I'll be one of the first ones in line to keep Trump in office just to keep Pence out.
Well, I'd rather have better quality leaders too, but whatcha gonna do?
We were both advocating & voting before this election, & we'll be doing
it in the future. The fact that Joe Biden was a heartbeat away from the
presidency is frightening too, but I never dwelt on that unlikely horror.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The fact that Joe Biden was a heartbeat away from the
presidency is frightening too, but I never dwelt on that unlikely horror.
Biden served hotdogs to an all-Military audience recording of the Colbert Report. That's not very frightening. He didn't even shoot anyone in the face.