• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump announces 35% tax on companies leaving US

Sultan Of Swing

In a series of tweets (naturally), President-elect Trump announced a 35% tax on companies that leave the US and sell goods back across the border.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/805387038048612356

Thoughts?

Do you agree with such a measure? Would it help or hurt America? Does it make you feel better or worse about the prospects of a Trump presidency?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't like it.
Create a climate wherein businesses want to be here.
Then no threats of punishment are necessary.

Sultan Of Swing

He acts like a dictator. And why is he hiring tons of insiders and establishment people? I thought he was draining the swamp?
Why is this acting like a dictator? And if draining the swamp meant emptying Washington of all experienced officials, might you then be complaining that he has a new cabinet of untested inexperienced people which posed unnecessary risk?

esmith

Veteran Member
Why is this acting like a dictator? And if draining the swamp meant emptying Washington of all experienced officials, might you then be complaining that he has a new cabinet of untested inexperienced people which posed unnecessary risk?
I would suggest that anything President-elect Trump does one way or another will be found at fault by many.
When one walks through life with filters on their eyes and ears one has a problem of accepting reality.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do agree with this, except if were me, the tax rate would be absolutely crippling and so deep it would be impossible to recover the loss. And each job lost would also be taxed, and very heavily so. If they want to save money and put workers here on government support, they can pay for the support and abit extra for the troubles caused.
I don't like it.
Create a climate wherein businesses want to be here.
Then no threats of punishment are necessary.
That would mean expecting the average American worker to be about on par with the average Chinese worker. They are going to want to shirk more of their tax obligations. They aren't going to want to follow "costly" safety regulations.
At least we could be surprised and blind sided instead of knowing we have establishment Conservative buffoons who are coming in. We can already anticipate problems with a bunch of states and and the soon-to-be-highest authority law enforcement officer in the nation, given, according to him, good people don't smoke pot and he thought the KKK were good people till he learned they smoke pot. He's not changing anything, he's scraping together the worst the Republican party and Conservatives have to offer.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
While as president Trump may propose such changes, it will take Congress to actually pass it into law so that the Trump administration can implement it.

I find this unlikely...but we'll see

Sultan Of Swing

While as president Trump may propose such changes, it will take Congress to actually pass it into law so that the Trump administration can implement it.

I find this unlikely...but we'll see
Republicans won't be too happy I suspect, but he'll have loyalists among them, and potentially Democrats willing to support, especially the Bernie-types.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
In a series of tweets (naturally), President-elect Trump announced a 35% tax on companies that leave the US and sell goods back across the border.

Thoughts?

Do you agree with such a measure? Would it help or hurt America? Does it make you feel better or worse about the prospects of a Trump presidency?

I actually agree with this. Businesses which sacrifice peoples' jobs in the name of profit so they can exploit people in poorer countries by paying them less need to be strongly discouraged from doing so. I also think governments ought to make the 'leaving' process harder, longer & more expensive for businesses.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Do you really think Trump could not find a Secretary of the Treasury who wasn't from Goldman Sachs if he really wanted to drain the swamp?

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Do you really think Trump could not find a Secretary of the Treasury who wasn't from Goldman Sachs if he really wanted to drain the swamp?
He looked for and found someone who knows how to make money. People who know how to make money are rich, so I suspect you would have complained no matter who Trump picked.

I don't think Trump was referring to rich people when he spoke about "draining the swamp." I think the swamp refers to gov't insiders.

Trump needs both insiders and outsiders. IMHO, he's doing a great job with his cabinet picks.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
He looked for and found someone who knows how to make money. People who know how to make money are rich, so I suspect you would have complained no matter who Trump picked.

I don't think Trump was referring to rich people when he spoke about "draining the swamp." I think the swamp refers to gov't insiders.

Trump needs both insiders and outsiders. IMHO, he's doing a great job with his cabinet picks.

If you know anything at all -- anything at all -- about who the insiders are, you would know quite well that Goldman Sachs executives are the insiders at the Treasury department. For Trump to pick a former Goldman Sachs exec for Secretary of the Treasury spells "INSIDER" in all caps. Heck, it's even the joke on Wall Street to refer to Goldman Sachs as "Government Sachs". Trump isn't draining the swamp as he promised, he's re-stocking the gators.

And if you think he needs a rich person as Secretary, then just how many rich people do you think there are in this country who are NOT former GS execs. Jesus, you make it sound like all he could pick from were GS execs.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Republicans won't be too happy I suspect, but he'll have loyalists among them, and potentially Democrats willing to support, especially the Bernie-types.
Realistically, Trump said somethings that are Left-supported, but he's surrounding himself with those who do not support those causes. Trump is a fool if he thinks he can do what he wants and keep the company he's choosing to keep. They'll let him do some of what he wants, but it won't be the things that will excite Bernie supporters, because the Fool King's court does not approve.
The real point of interest will be the Senate, were the Republicans hold so few seats over the Democrats that they hold no real advantage, especially should Libertarian-leaning Republicans ever decide to ever make a meaningful move to put the spotlight on themselves, bridge a huge gaping divide in politics, forming an alliance that easily upsets the sliver of a Republican advantage.
Example, Sessions is not pro-marijuana, period, and if Trump shreds all Obama's executive orders, this means the DEA and DOJ can be sent into states that have legalized, for medical and/or recreational, and make massive arrests. This will not go over well with Democrats, and if there is any shred of anything left that resembles reason in Capital Hill, the Libertarian leaning Republicans will fight it in the Senate, fiercely pointing out all the hard and undeniable facts of great statistics coming from those states, and those that have legalized will not face any legal obstructions. This can lead Libertarian leaning Republicans in the House to follow suit, strengthening the Libertarians while weakening Conservatives just in time for mid-terms.
And if the Libertarians fail to take this moment to swoop in and save the day and make themselves look like the saviors of Humanity, I'm officially labeling them worse than the Left at talking and no acting, because at least they're in a position to actually do something.
It won't necessarily be a "Sander's supporters approved" compromise, but any sane and rational person will agree we have far more pressing issues than religious crusades to define gender, marriage, science, and history, and things will be easier when we can focus on how to best take care of the poor and not worry about religious nuts trying to keep certain people from having rights just because of what their book says.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Thoughts?

It's a risky move in the sense it could start a tariff war leading to protectionism and an economic downturn, but it might be worth saying you're going to do it in order to see what sort of retaliation you get threatened with. Trump can always back out of his proposal if the threats look too credible and great. He's pretty good at backing out of promises.