• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Admin Policy Screws the Poor. Again.

Shaul

Premium Member
Talk about demagoguery. The “policy changes” are based on laws that have been on the books for decades. From your own article it says this could only affect 7% of SNAP recipients. Plus the “work” requirement can even be met by recipients attending training classes. Both Republican and Democrat have stated that requiring work for able bodied SNAP recipients is a good thing. President Trump did the right thing in this case.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Wrong. It's subjective and fluid to you, clearly. I know many don't care what someone is like nor what he does but only cares if goodies come.

But let me spell out what I believe.

By ethics and morality I mean:
  • Is the person (relatively) honest - I don't expect perfection but I'm looking for people who mostly tell the truth.
  • Is the person a narcissist or at least try to see other people as worthy?
  • Does the person value competence or only loyalty?
  • Is the person a bigot or a bigot enabler?
  • Does the person value the justice system or give a pass (and pardons) to friends?
  • Does the person believe that everyone was created equal as stated in the Declaration of Independence and that everyone has inalienable rights.
  • When the person takes a oath of office, do they take it seriously?
  • When the person takes any official oath, do they ignore it?
  • and so forth

But, as noble as these sound, these are morals defined by you and your idea of a perfect world. Once again you have demonstrated that morals are subjective and self serving.

Shad

Veteran Member
Even tribal peoples -- who are allegedly "primitive" -- take care of their own. Even apes in the wild take care of their own. But the richest nation in the history of the earth cannot? America has become a decadent nation.

It is called charity. Your problem is your equate charity with government. All of the homeless in my city are fed by charity not government. Government here requires monthly reporting; work search, applications, resume submissions, interviews, employment programs and workshops. The US welfare systems demanding a few hours of volunteer work is nothing major. It is just one of many checks government uses to ensure people are not merely leaching from the system

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But, as noble as these sound, these are morals defined by you and your idea of a perfect world. Once again you have demonstrated that morals are subjective and self serving.
Of course they're defined by me but since so many hold ideals (unlike the Trumpsters), it's more than just personally subjective. Morals and ethics have a universal basis - they are present in all major religions, in secular humanism and in the hearts of all even those who don't believe that they have morals and ethics.

Also your ideals are self-serving as well because you use them to serve yourself. So that's a meaningless comment.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Talk about demagoguery. The “policy changes” are based on laws that have been on the books for decades.

What does "based on" mean? Yes, work requirements exist. These changes make it more difficult for states to get waivers from those requirements, because they are places where it's harder to meet the requirements.

From your own article it says this could only affect 7% of SNAP recipients.

About 700,000 people.

Plus the “work” requirement can even be met by recipients attending training classes.

Easier said than done. Which is the whole point of states needing waivers.

Both Republican and Democrat have stated that requiring work for able bodied SNAP recipients is a good thing.

Republicans and Democrats both say silly things.

President Trump did the right thing in this case.

How is taking food away from hundreds of thousands of people right?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Judge? Maybe. Decide? Not even. I, also, believe in helping out when needed, I'm not a monster. But I did a little growing up in the heart of Appalachia in the pre-food stamp days; sometimes you've just got to find a way to help yourself.
Yep. Poaching, burglary and mugging are the way to get food on the table if you don't get food stamps.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Talk about demagoguery. The “policy changes” are based on laws that have been on the books for decades. From your own article it says this could only affect 7% of SNAP recipients. Plus the “work” requirement can even be met by recipients attending training classes. Both Republican and Democrat have stated that requiring work for able bodied SNAP recipients is a good thing. President Trump did the right thing in this case.
Sorry, but these cuts were already planned minus the information as to whom exactly is capable of working and whom is not. If the estimated 1 million children are going to lose SNAP, are you going to make certain they have enough to eat?

Yes, we do need to cut waste, no doubt, but the fact that we have some waste is a poor excuse to just attack SNAP with a politically-motivated battle ax.

metis

Yep. Poaching, burglary and mugging are the way to get food on the table if you don't get food stamps.
Bingo, and this is what some people simply do not seem to understand, namely that if people are desperate, they will do almost anything and everything, which fuels crime, depression, suicides, etc.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Of course they're defined by me but since so many hold ideals (unlike the Trumpsters), it's more than just personally subjective. Morals and ethics have a universal basis - they are present in all major religions, in secular humanism and in the hearts of all even those who don't believe that they have morals and ethics.

Also your ideals are self-serving as well because you use them to serve yourself. So that's a meaningless comment.

Your subjective arguments just enhances mine...

Heyo

Veteran Member
Bingo, and this is what some people simply do not seem to understand, namely that if people are desperate, they will do almost anything and everything, which fuels crime, depression, suicides, etc.
What? Crime is good. A rising crime rate favours republicans. Then they can be "tough on crime" and it fills the pockets of the private prison industry. This madness has system.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

If that's what your mind tells you...

Been in situations I wouldn't wish on another human being, and I (nor anyone I've ever known) never resorted to any of the scenarios listed. I understand that there are no guarantees in life, and day to day living can be tough, but it's up to you to decide how you react to any situation.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Been in situations I wouldn't wish on another human being, and I (nor anyone I've ever known) never resorted to any of the scenarios listed. I understand that there are no guarantees in life, and day to day living can be tough, but it's up to you to decide how you react to any situation.
You are arguing anecdotes against statistics.
In the given scenario people will act differently. That means that some will resort to crime.

metis

What? Crime is good. A rising crime rate favours republicans. Then they can be "tough on crime" and it fills the pockets of the private prison industry. This madness has system.
I wish you were wrong, but ...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No country has been able to meet such needs on charity alone in modern times.

That fact has been known to educated people ever since Spinoza pointed it out in the 1600s. Of course, one cannot expect conservatives to be educated these days. Not like 40 years ago, when the conservatives had educations every bit as good as liberals.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You are arguing anecdotes against statistics.
In the given scenario people will act differently. That means that some will resort to crime.

When has that ever been not the case. Committing a crime is a choice, not an entitlement.