• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Admin Policy Screws the Poor. Again.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
BTW, from a news report I watched yesterday, I guess some of the governors are stuck as what they should now do because they certainly don't want to propose raising taxes in an election year, which would be the kiss of political death, and yet doing nothing is not a real solution if the problem is to be dealt with.

BTW, here in Michigan, whereas we have the worst roads in the country, the state Republican "solution" is to finance the roads in part by cutting moneys allocated for education. Actually, I think they have some really sound logic with this as they must realized that less educated people are far more apt to vote Republican.:D

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why so many Evangelicals have turned their back on the poor is so utterly pathetic and in complete contrast to what Jesus taught we must do. It's becoming more and more apparent that they're taking more directions from right-wing politicians and their media than what Jesus and the Apostles taught is a must.

Because it's about worshiping, not following, Jesus. Somehow some evangelical preacher brainwashed them into thinking that the government is evil. American Christianity is only American, not Christian.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm OK with assisting the poor. But if what they're given is being
reduced, to say this is to "steal" from them is misrepresenting
the reality, ie, it wasn't their money. It was someone else's,
which was to be taken from them, & then given to the poor.
The question is how much & in what form they get largesse.
That's not how the republican party operates. The middle class gets the shaft so special interests, the 1% and capitalist elitists get the money instead.
Someone is getting the freebies and with republicans it goes to their establishment elitists who control the party. Think Big Oil, Big Pharma, MIC, etc.

Everyone wants their freebies:

Democrats = middle/lower class freebies
Republicans = corporate freebies

Which side are you on?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Trump administration changes to work requirements needed receive SNAP benefits (ie food stamps) are likely to leave many more people hungry, and are unlikely to significantly increase the number of people working.

Food stamp change fuels anxiety as states try to curb impact

Classic example of the damage done by Trumpist policy.

Fortunately, in our Trump-led, Trumped-up economy, there's plenty of jobs out there for able-bodied impoverished persons to work in order for them to earn their welfare benefits.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Fortunately, in our Trump-led, Trumped-up economy, there's plenty of jobs out there for able-bodied impoverished persons to work in order for them to earn their welfare benefits.

The whole reason states apply for waivers is because that's not true.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The whole reason states apply for waivers is because that's not true.

I'd like to see an end to the food stamp program ( S.N.A.P.) by the year 2026 if the implementation of tax reform and universal health insurance with universal basic income ( T.R.A..U. H.I.W.U.B.I..), were done nearly resembling as follows:

1. Universal health insurance ( U..H.I.) affordably be done with insured cost sharing, ( Universal Medicare with a combined $4,000 Part A and B deductible, a 20 percent Part A and B co-insurance and a 50 percent prescription drug co-insurance ) costing taxpayers ca. $2.3 trillion in the fiscal year 2026.

2. U.H.I being funded in large part with a 10 percent value-added-tax ( 10%V.A.T.) less VAT tax monthly rebates of $180 for each American citizen age 18 or over, this would net approximately 800 billion dollars of revenue in the year 2026; U..H.I. also being funded in part with an increase in the corporate income tax rate from 21 percent to 29 percent resulting in corporations paying U.S. corporate income taxes of ca. $600 billion, the imposition of financial transaction taxes ( remittance taxes and stock/bond trade taxes) generating ca. $200 billion, the implementation of tariffs resulting in ca. $150 billion of revenue in 2026 and federal estate taxes generating an additional ca. $50 billion in revenue., alcohol, cannabis and tobacco excise taxes generating ca. $100 billion of funding for U.H.I, and the remainder of funding for U. H.I. coming from Medicare payroll taxes of ca. $400 billion.

3. Social security being fully funded by a doubling of the cap on social security taxes, so that all workers and employers would contribute 6.2 percent of social security taxes on every dollar of their earnings up to $350,000 of each individual wage earner's income .In 2026, this would mean Americans would pay ca. $1.5 trillion in social security payroll taxes.

4. U.S. military spending along with all other governmental agencies, save for U.H.I. , social security , the Department of Transportation and Homeland Security,being funded with a simplified income tax system, just a few income tax brackets beginning in year 2026, zero percent on the initial $12,000 of personal individual annual income, 12 percent on $12,001 to $62,000 of personal individual annual income, 32 percent on individual personal annual earnings in excess of $62,000. Capital gains taxed at same rate as ordinary income. No tax credits, save for a refundable $3,400 child tax credit as well as a $4,000 subsistence living allowance tax credit for each adult American citizen. In 2026, this would result in total personal federal income taxes amounting to an estimated $1.3 trillion.

5. The implementation of excise taxes on railways, fuel, airports and aviation collectively adding up to $160 billion, which would fund the Department of Transportation and Homeland Security.

6. Approved federal spending in 2026 at ca. $2.3 trillion for universal health care ( U.H.I. ) $1.5 trillion for Social Security, ( no change from status-quo on S.S. retirement benefits ), ca. 950 billion dollars towards the military and veteran services or veteran benefits, $600 billion on debt interest payments, an estimated $65 billion spending on the U.S. Department of Agriculture, ( ca. $10 billion ) for the Department of Commerce, ( ca. $13 billion ) for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, ( ca. $35 billion) for the Department of Energy, ( ca. $9 billion ) for the Environmental Protection Agency, ( $8 billion ). for the Food and Drug Administration, ( ca. $42 billion ) for the Department of Housing and Community Development, ( ca. $26 billion) for the Department of Interior annual spending, ( ca. $55 billion) for the Department of Homeland Security, (ca. $32 billion) for the Department of Justice, ( ca. $11 billion ) for the Department of Labor, ( ca. $26 billion ) for N.A.S.A., ( ca. $48 billion ) for the State Department, ( ca. $105 billion) for the Department of Transportation, ( ca. $24 billion ) for the Department of Treasury; the above proposed federal spending resulting in total federal annual spending to be ca. $5.860 trillion..

7. The above approved fiscal year 2026 federal spending being ca. $5.86 trillion and ca. $5.26 trillion of tax revenue would result in a federal deficit of ca. $600 billion for FY 2026.

8. Every American adult citizen would have a guaranteed minimum yearly income of over $6,000: a $4,000 refundable tax credit and a monthly $180 V.A.T. rebate.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to see an end to the food stamp program ( S.N.A.P.) by the year 2026 if the implementation of tax reform and universal health insurance with universal basic income ( T.R.A..U. H.I.W.U.B.I..), were done nearly resembling as follows:

1. Universal health insurance ( U..H.I.) affordably be done with insured cost sharing, ( Universal Medicare with a combined $4,000 Part A and B deductible, a 20 percent Part A and B co-insurance and a 50 percent prescription drug co-insurance ) costing taxpayers ca. $2.3 trillion in the fiscal year 2026.

2. U.H.I being funded in large part with a 10 percent value-added-tax ( 10%V.A.T.) less VAT tax monthly rebates of $180 for each American citizen age 18 or over, this would net approximately 800 billion dollars of revenue in the year 2026; U..H.I. also being funded in part with an increase in the corporate income tax rate from 21 percent to 29 percent resulting in corporations paying U.S. corporate income taxes of ca. $600 billion, the imposition of financial transaction taxes ( remittance taxes and stock/bond trade taxes) generating ca. $200 billion, the implementation of tariffs resulting in ca. $150 billion of revenue in 2026 and federal estate taxes generating an additional ca. $50 billion in revenue., alcohol, cannabis and tobacco excise taxes generating ca. $100 billion of funding for U.H.I, and the remainder of funding for U. H.I. coming from Medicare payroll taxes of ca. $400 billion.

3. Social security being fully funded by a doubling of the cap on social security taxes, so that all workers and employers would contribute 6.2 percent of social security taxes on every dollar of their earnings up to $350,000 of each individual wage earner's income .In 2026, this would mean Americans would pay ca. $1.5 trillion in social security payroll taxes.

4. U.S. military spending along with all other governmental agencies, save for U.H.I. , social security , the Department of Transportation and Homeland Security,being funded with a simplified income tax system, just a few income tax brackets beginning in year 2026, zero percent on the initial $12,000 of personal individual annual income, 12 percent on $12,001 to $62,000 of personal individual annual income, 32 percent on individual personal annual earnings in excess of $62,000. Capital gains taxed at same rate as ordinary income. No tax credits, save for a refundable $3,400 child tax credit as well as a $4,000 subsistence living allowance tax credit for each adult American citizen. In 2026, this would result in total personal federal income taxes amounting to an estimated $1.3 trillion.

5. The implementation of excise taxes on railways, fuel, airports and aviation collectively adding up to $160 billion, which would fund the Department of Transportation and Homeland Security.

6. Approved federal spending in 2026 at ca. $2.3 trillion for universal health care ( U.H.I. ) $1.5 trillion for Social Security, ( no change from status-quo on S.S. retirement benefits ), ca. 950 billion dollars towards the military and veteran services or veteran benefits, $600 billion on debt interest payments, an estimated $65 billion spending on the U.S. Department of Agriculture, ( ca. $10 billion ) for the Department of Commerce, ( ca. $13 billion ) for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, ( ca. $35 billion) for the Department of Energy, ( ca. $9 billion ) for the Environmental Protection Agency, ( $8 billion ). for the Food and Drug Administration, ( ca. $42 billion ) for the Department of Housing and Community Development, ( ca. $26 billion) for the Department of Interior annual spending, ( ca. $55 billion) for the Department of Homeland Security, (ca. $32 billion) for the Department of Justice, ( ca. $11 billion ) for the Department of Labor, ( ca. $26 billion ) for N.A.S.A., ( ca. $48 billion ) for the State Department, ( ca. $105 billion) for the Department of Transportation, ( ca. $24 billion ) for the Department of Treasury; the above proposed federal spending resulting in total federal annual spending to be ca. $5.860 trillion..

7. The above approved fiscal year 2026 federal spending being ca. $5.86 trillion and ca. $5.26 trillion of tax revenue would result in a federal deficit of ca. $600 billion for FY 2026.

8. Every American adult citizen would have a guaranteed minimum yearly income of over $6,000: a $4,000 refundable tax credit and a monthly $180 V.A.T. rebate.

You're aware Trump (and the right generally) opposes nearly all of that laundry list, right?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You're aware Trump (and the right generally) opposes nearly all of that laundry list, right?

Yes, I do consider Tax Reform and Universal Health Insurance with Universal Basic Income ( T.R.A.U.H.I.W.U.B.I.) as now being just a few years ahead of its time. When millions of people's jobs get replaced with automation or outsourcing, then I'd expect ( T.R.A.U..H.I.W.U.B.I. ) to have broad bi-partisan support.