• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Muslims: Sunni vs Shia

gnostic

The Lost One
Are the centuries of hostilities and conflicts between the Sunni and Shia about who are the "true Muslims"?

Your thoughts, thank you.

Starsoul

Truth
A basic muslim is somebody who believes there is no deity except Allah, and Muhammad (pbuh saww) is His Final messenger.

Sunni and shia, basically, both believe that.

Sects of Islam which do not assign to this basic dogma, are not considered muslims. e.g,

Ahmadis, a minority group do not consider the Prophet Muhammad (saww pbuh)as the final messenger, believe another man(Mirza ghulam) to be the final messenger, they do call themselves muslims, but are not considered muslims by any muslim school of thought.

Schools of thought : Does not mean sects, it merely denotes a variety of collective ways , all derived and based on the Quran and the Sunnah, but reaching the same destination, not deviating from the main dogma. e.g you can go to china via the silk route or via any other route, you are told about the ways to reach it, and you may choose the one thats suits you the best, is the most appropriate for you.

All schools of thoughts are in agreement with other schools of thoughts, as long as they follow the Quran and sunnah completely.

gnostic

The Lost One
jayhawker soule said:
Interestingly worded. Is the intent here to incite?

Incite?

Interesting choice of word, but no. I dislike violence. I dislike war.

Just trying to determine why they fight each other. I don't understand why they fight.

Was it not a question of succession of leadership after Muhammad's death?

If true, shouldn't it be settled over a thousand years ago? Why are there still hostility between the two? Why do they still hold grudges?

Is it a matter of who are the "true Muslims"?

asa120

and pls, pls just tell me what type of human bieng take the time to trash in other religion???

what type of persons are you?? i canot understand???

gnostic

The Lost One
asa120 said:
heyy another anti islam post from gnostic ;well done !!!!

Do you always see anti-Islam under your bed?

I see no anti this or anti that in my thread, here. Just your misunderstanding my topics, once again.

gnostic

The Lost One
starsoul said:
A basic muslim is somebody who believes there is no deity except Allah, and Muhammad (pbuh saww) is His Final messenger.

Sunni and shia, basically, both believe that.

Sects of Islam which do not assign to this basic dogma, are not considered muslims.

starsoul said:
Schools of thought : Does not mean sects, it merely denotes a variety of collective ways , all derived and based on the Quran and the Sunnah, but reaching the same destination, not deviating from the main dogma.

So it is not about which side being "true Muslims".

So are the different "schools of thought" the source of contentions between the 2 sides?

Perhaps, you can explain briefly each school of thought and why they differ?

rusra02

Premium Member

you get tired debating and throwing words on islam in sharia and honor killing or youre islam vers cristianity and youre is islam need an adverser to existe

well muslims shia and sunna never absolutly never fight each other like other sects of other religion
now thise diffrence is used by non muslims to create wars and deflict

but we are all brothers and we both belive that we will both have the eternal paradise
soo disbeliver like you are the one who will enter to hell because thy desbilive in allah and his messengers and in mohamed the last messenger and the scripture allah will burn them

i belive that thise is e good enaugth replie of all muslims

I highlighted your statement in red above. This is quote from Wikipedia:
"According to one estimate, as of early 2008, 1,121 Muslim suicide bombers have blown themselves up in Iraq.[68] Sunni suicide bombers have targeted not only thousands of civilians,[69] but mosques, shrines,[70] wedding and funeral processions,[71] markets, hospitals, offices, and streets.
On the Shia side, in early February 2006 militia-dominated government death squads were reportedly "tortur[ing] to death or summarily" executing "hundreds" of Sunnis "every month in Baghdad alone," many arrested at random.[81][

Article is Shi'a–Sunni relations.

Can you explain how these two differing statements can be reconciled?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Please don't take this guy as a poster child for all Muslims. We have more rationale.
Indeed. Though their thinking is quite instructive, it is better to just let their comments go. Not much is gained in such interactions.

As far as the topic goes, I was under the assumption that the hostilities between Shia and Sunni factions was over the succession (of who would lead the Ummah after the death of Muhammad) and not so much over who was a true Muslim. The Shia wanted Ali to succeed Muhammad and Abu Bakr was selected by the Sunni. From what I recall, that is what caused the original rift.

gnostic

The Lost One
ohhcuppycake said:
Please don't take this guy as a poster child for all Muslims. We have more rationale.

I know that you directed your reply to looncall, but oh, I don't think all Muslims are like asa120.

I think he or she had developed instant dislike for me because of previous thread in Qur'anic Debates - sharia and honor killing.

No matter how many times I have apologizes for mis-reading or misunderstanding his or her posts (because his or her English is not every good), he or she won't let it go. I don't expect his or her forgiveness nor do I expect his or her apology (he or she had personally insulted me)

He or she has now follow me to this thread - thrashing it without even reading the OP properly.

As to asa120:

asa120 said:

you get tired debating and throwing words on islam in sharia and honor killing or youre islam vers cristianity and youre is islam need an adverser to existe

well muslims shia and sunna never absolutly never fight each other like other sects of other religion
now thise diffrence is used by non muslims to create wars and deflict

but we are all brothers and we both belive that we will both have the eternal paradise
soo disbeliver like you are the one who will enter to hell because thy desbilive in allah and his messengers and in mohamed the last messenger and the scripture allah will burn them

i belive that thise is e good enaugth replie of all muslims

soo pls all muslims do not ,do not respond to him and see his previouse postes and replys to understand he is clairly only ask aboute islam to trash

Sorry, asa120, but this is not about topic is not about Islam, but about Shia and Sunni. Stick with the topic or leave, because I no longer have patience with you ranting at me.

gnostic

The Lost One
jamaesi said:
You might find this interesting.

So from the article written by Sumbul Ali-Karamali, it is more of political issue on who should lead the Muslims (after Muhammad's death), and not a religious issue. And I understand they both considered themselves as "Muslims".

But even with the article's explanation, I still don't understand why hostilities still erupt, on and off, over 1200 years later.

Why do one side persecute the other and vice versa in matter that should have disappeared?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Yo
So from the article written by Sumbul Ali-Karamali, it is more of political issue on who should lead the Muslims (after Muhammad's death), and not a religious issue. And I understand they both considered themselves as "Muslims".

But even with the article's explanation, I still don't understand why hostilities still erupt, on and off, over 1200 years later.

Why do one side persecute the other and vice versa in matter that should have disappeared?

Your problem here is you're thinking it's the religious difference is what causes the strife. It's not. If you want an easy answer, ethnicity is what causes problems, not religious differences. If you're really interested in what causes strife between Sunni and Shi'a Muslims, you are going to take it on a conflict by conflict basis. I wouldn't mind discussing this topic, but it's incredibly broad. You'll have to narrow it down to a certain timeframe or event at a time.

ohhcuppycakee

The problem is the religious practices began to differ as well. I don't think it is a big enough difference to call most groups outside of the realm of Islam though. And also, there's a lot of grudges held because of a long history of persecution. For example, the Ummayad Caliphate severely oppressed Shi'a Islam for political reasons.

gnostic

The Lost One
jamaesi said:
If you're really interested in what causes strife between Sunni and Shi'a Muslims, you are going to take it on a conflict by conflict basis. I wouldn't mind discussing this topic, but it's incredibly broad. You'll have to narrow it down to a certain timeframe or event at a time.

I don't know how to go about narrowing it down, jamaesi.

jamaesi said:
Your problem here is you're thinking it's the religious difference is what causes the strife. It's not. If you want an easy answer, ethnicity is what causes problems, not religious differences.

You said it could be ethnic-based - Shia and Sunni. But starsoul described Sunni and Shia as 2 different schools of thought back in post 4. I think the reason why starsoul (but correct me if I wrong, starsoul or jamaesi) that the shia and sunni shouldn't be seen as 2 different sects, because he (or she) believed that they are schools of thought.

Can "school of thought" be thought of as the same "ethnicity"?

Ethnicity and school of thought are 2 different things, aren't they?

Last edited: