• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transitional Fossils

Rational Agnostic

For those of you creationists who insist that there are no transitional fossils. All credit goes to King Crocoduck:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rational Agnostic

Can't watch the video yet, but so far as I know, almost all fossils can be considered transitional, since life is ever evolving.

Good point. I think what most people are referring to when speaking of "transitional fossils" are those that show obvious intermediate stages between species that have very different anatomical features.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Fossils do not transition, I think this is something we all know by now. Only humans can transition so stop presuming that just because Bruce can do it so can Velociraptor.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
You could be buried with your dog, then they can dig you up and declare a transitional fossil! :)

DNA analysis, protein analysis, bone density and a whole lotta other things would prevent paleontologists from mistaking the fossils of a dog and a human as being part of the same creature; so your post makes no sense, Guy.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
DNA analysis, protein analysis, bone density and a whole lotta other things would prevent paleontologists from mistaking the fossils of a dog and a human as being part of the same creature; so your post makes no sense, Guy.

Simple morphology is quite sufficient.

A local anthropology class requires the students to identify the type of bone *and species* for primate bones in a box that they cannot see into. They have to do everything by touch.

it isn't easy. But with practice it is possible. Any paleontologist that would mistake a dog bone for a primate bone is incompetent.

David1967

Premium Member

I think Guy was making a joke.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
What is wrong with you people! Fossils already have a gender and it is written in stone! LITERALLY! Although sometimes it is written in peat, mud or lava-rock but the point still stands :mad:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Can't watch the video yet, but so far as I know, almost all fossils can be considered transitional, since life is ever evolving.
Please try. It is

6-15-12-Blog-Image-from-Free-Digital-Photos1.jpg
Probably the best short video on transitional fossils on the net.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Just had a disturbing thought...Someday I may be a transitional fossil.:confused:
I gotcha beat-- at my age I'm already considered one. And since I have "kids" and grandkids, I guess I have to be classified as "transitional".

David1967

Premium Member
I gotcha beat-- at my age I'm already considered one. And since I have "kids" and grandkids, I guess I have to be classified as "transitional".

Got kids. Grown now. Telling them to hold off a while on the grandkids so I can be young a few more years.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Good point. I think what most people are referring to when speaking of "transitional fossils" are those that show obvious intermediate stages between species that have very different anatomical features.

But those were too hard to find, the definition had to be changed.

“We now have a quarter of a million fossil species, but the situation hasn't changed much... We have even fewer examples of evolutionary transition than we had in Darwin's time.”
-- David M. Raup: Curator of Chicago Field Museum

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Creationists are hilarious. "I've got a selectively edited quote, and that trumps all data!!"

And they wonder why support for their nonsense continues to decline.

Skwim

Veteran Member
And that was exactly the point of the video: all fossils, no matter what they are, can be considered to be transitional between their ancestral form and those forms that follow (those fossil species that happen to go extinct excepted). That we find a fossil that morphologically fits neatly between two species, like the puzzle piece that fills in an open slot, is rare indeed.

Guy Threepwood said:
But those were too hard to find, the definition had to be changed.
From what to what?

Last edited:

The Holy Bottom Burp

Yeah, there is a problem with the word "transitional", it tends to confuse people who don't understand evolution, I think they think it means evolution has "a plan", that it is going somewhere. The "somewhere" is ,of course, us; Homo sapien right? We have big brains, we are the dominant species on the planet now right? Everything was leading to us right? All the species that have come and gone was just some blind and clumsy attempt, like a artist starting out as a child finger painting blobs, until he or she refines their art into something beautiful and sophisticated. I'm pretty sure the dinosaurs would have said the same! (No I don't speak dinosaur, not sure how they communicated. It was a long time ago!)

I suppose this idea helps some theists to reconcile evolution with their religion, but it is of course erroneous. It panders to our ego, like the concept that the Earth is the centre of the Universe, and we "have dominion" over every other species. Bacteria and viruses might prove us overly optimistic on that front, if we don't wipe ourselves out with warfare or people induced global warming. Happy days!