• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transision from vegetarian to vegan

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Have you been in a situation where your health made you had to go from meat-eater to vegetarian to vegan food before?
What was your experience of going through the change and how do you feel now when you do not eat any meat or milk products?

And yes due to health issue I am about to go from vegetarian to vegan lifestyle ( suggested by my doctor)

leov

Have you been in a situation where your health made you had to go from meat-eater to vegetarian to vegan food before?
What was your experience of going through the change and how do you feel now when you do not eat any meat or milk products?

And yes due to health issue I am about to go from vegetarian to vegan lifestyle ( suggested by my doctor)
My experience: I feel better on vegan diet, but young should consume things like eggs.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Quitting milk? Omg...

My endocrinologist said I need lots of milk since, not having the natural production of hormones, after the Surgery, I can have osteoporosis in 20 years

David1967

Premium Member

One of my favorite guitarists, Steve Vai is vegetarian due to health reasons. In an interview, he said that he used to suffer from migraines. After going to a meat-free diet they have gone away.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of my favorite guitarists, Steve Vai is vegetarian due to health reasons. In an interview, he said that he used to suffer from migraines. After going to a meat-free diet they have gone away.
Yes headaches are something i have very little of too, except for if i drink to little water, then i get a headache too

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I can get calcium from other things :)
vegetables, beans, soy milk, and oat milk
I highly recommend taking Vitamin B12 supplements-- unless you want to eat dirt instead-- literally as it's main source for us humans is meat/dairy, as that vitamin is actually soil based. Either that or don't wash your veggies, which I obviously don't recommend.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't think there are really any health benefits as long as your meats are handled safely and cooked properly. However there are environmental concerns. Beef for example takes a lot more resources, causes much more pollution than corn, beans, etc...

So those folks still consuming meats probably shouldn't consider themselves as being environmentally friendly. :p

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I had to quit dairy due to irritable bowel problems (since birth) so I changed from lacto-vegetarian (since I was twenty) to a vegan diet about ten years ago. But it took me many years (eating the occasional pizza with cheese) to become more or less strictly vegan.

The big improvement in my health was unexpected. All kinds of problems vanished.
Although I have to say that I quit eating sugar and grains at the same time that I stopped with dairy.

Daemon Sophic

I do my best to eat vegan. I have not had any meat in over four years and the rare bit of milk product usually comes from someone sprinkling cheese onto a salad or taco without me asking for it. o_O:rolleyes:
While I am a type one diabetic, I did not convert to veganism as a result of an immediate health threat, but rather as a means to prevent health problems down the road.
Truly the best/healthiest diet for everyone is the Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet, but it does take more effort than even eating as a vegan. My wife is much more dedicated to that than I am. :oops:

Quitting milk? Omg...

My endocrinologist said I need lots of milk since, not having the natural production of hormones, after the Surgery, I can have osteoporosis in 20 years
Your endocrinologist is out or date. :(
Osteoporosis is a much more common disease in milk-drinking populations. Consider the Japanese. No milk, no yogurt, no cheese, no ice cream (in general for the elderly).....and almost zero osteoporosis. ;)
The elderly in northern Europe? The disease is common. :eek:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes :) i will have to sake some supplement and B12 is for sure one of them. (but thank you for the tip about B12)
I take occasional B12 supplements, but the best indicator of low B12 is a blood test. Some heavy carnivores have low B12. The jury is still out on what causes low B12, and there is still debate about the healthy range of it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Your endocrinologist is out or date. :(
Osteoporosis is a much more common disease in milk-drinking populations. Consider the Japanese. No milk, no yogurt, no cheese, no ice cream (in general for the elderly).....and almost zero osteoporosis. ;)
The elderly in northern Europe? The disease is common. :eek:
Most people still have their sex organs, producing hormones
..I do not....I take synthetic estrogens...but it s not tbe same thing

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Was veggie for 5 years, and now been vegan for 6 from health reasons...

Milk and eggs are designed for babies, where they have high levels of cholesterol, and estrogen for new growth...

Therefore males don't benefit from so much female hormones, and feel generally more refined as a being, clearer mind; where notice now if have any food that has dairy in, as it is just fatty, and dense - so can notice the vibration change.

As a vegan tho, we have to check nearly everything we eat, be conscious of what we put into our self in all aspects, as often dairy is overlooked.

Marking on packaging is getting more refined, with bold print for dairy, and more good restaurants are supplying menus for vegans.

Vegan Quorn taste more like fish... Linda McCartney's vegan range is excellent.

In my opinion. :innocent:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Steve Vai is great.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I take occasional B12 supplements, but the best indicator of low B12 is a blood test. Some heavy carnivores have low B12. The jury is still out on what causes low B12, and there is still debate about the healthy range of it.

This.

I had a very low B12, even eating meat. I had to get monthly B12 shots AND take B12 and folic acid supplements.

I’m almost 2 weeks almost meat-free (just some chicken and fish) but I still take a mega-B12 dose. It will be 3 weeks mammal meat-free when I go for blood work next week. I’m curious to see my level. I don’t get shots currently but I take the supplements.