• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top ten albums

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
This is tough but here goes,in no particular order of preference.
Nirvana,by the banks of the muddy Wishka,i like the raw edge of Nirvana had which was apparent in this recording,live and unclean.

The Fall ,The Frenz experiment,i've been to quite a few Fall Gigs and they were all good

Cream,Disraeli gears,Cream were arguably the first Supergroup,Eric Clapton,Steve Bruce and the most chilled out Drummer i've ever seen Ginger Baker,this also reminds me of all the underground Comix of the late 60's.

Joy Division,Closer,this Album is very dark but has some great Bass lines

Led Zepplin,the untitled Album,tough choice but i went for this one

The Rolling Stones,Live licks,bit of a cheat really as its a greatest hits Album,i've always loved the Stones,especially their early stuff.

Alanis Morrisette,Jagged little Pill,great Album IMO

Sex Pistols,Nevermind the Bollocks,we're the Sex Pistols,a lot of Music in the 70s was boring and nicey nicey safe,this was raw and a great marketing accomplishment

David Bowie,The rise and fall of Ziggy Srardust and the Spiders from Mars,great tunes ,Rock n Roll suicide and Suffragette City i love although my favourite performance of his is'nt on this Album,my favourite is the one he did with Lou Reed "Queen *****"

Last but not least El Supremo,Il mucho grande Hombre,the Dogs Bollocks Jimmi Hendrix Electric Ladyland,its all good and needs no comment one cool Dude.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hmmm.... this is so very hard. This list is not necessarily meant in this order either.

10. Ommadawn - Mike Oldfield
09. All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
08. Led Zeppelin (1)
07. In search of the lost Chord - The Moody Blues
06. Going for the One - Yes
05. Never for Ever - Kate Bush
04. Meddle - Punk Floyd
03. The Beatles (White Album) - The Beatles
02. Electric Ladyland - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
01. Live at Leeds - The Who

Best Live album is Yessongs - Yes (3 record set and mirrored their concerts, at the time, perfectly.)

Likewise Ummagumma by Pink Floyd has been a favorite of mine for many years for OMG... *starts crying* ... for 41 years.
Pink Floyd - Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun was my personal anthem at one stage of my life.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Great thread!
10 Christy Moore - Ride on

9 Elvis No1's

8 Stiff Little Fingers - Hanx
slf.jpg

7 The Clash - London Calling
album-The-Clash-London-Calling.jpg

6 AC/DC - High Voltage

Acdc_high_voltage_international_album.jpg

5 Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
wish_you_were_here.jpg

4. Nirvana Unplugged
unplugged.jpg

3. American Man III - Johnny Cash
album-american-iii-solitary-man.jpg

2 American Man IV
johnny-cash-american-iv-the-man-comes-around-cover-art-1022.jpeg

1. American Man V A hundred Highways
9179-american-v-a-hundred-highways.jpg

I'm going to buy the just released American Man VI as soon as I get into town. I expect it to be my favourite yet but since I haven't heard it I can't include it in my top 10 tonight.

I think it's extraordinary how the older and weaker he got the more beautiful Cash's music. He's my favourite by a mile

Smoke

Done here.
There's no way to list the ten best albums, so all I've done is list some of my favorites as they occurred to me. If I racked my brain I'd probably change some of them. Some of my favorite artists aren't on the list because I was thinking of the best albums. I couldn't stop at ten. I had images for all but the system limits me to eight images. So, off the top of my head and in no particular order:

album01.jpg

Bruce Springsteen
Darkness On The Edge Of Town

album02.jpg

B. B. King & Bobby Blue Bland
Together For The First Time ... Live

album03.jpg

Bobby Blue Bland
Midnight Run

album04.jpg

Big Mama Thornton
Ball N' Chain

album05.jpg

Nine Inch Nails
The Downward Spiral

album06.jpg

Johnny Cash
American IV: The Man Comes Around

album07.jpg

The Who
Who's Next

album08.jpg

The Supremes
The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland

9. Kid Rock
Devil Without A Cause

10. Janis Joplin
Pearl

Honorable Mention:

Howlin' Wolf
Moanin' In The Moonlight

The Guess Who
The Best Of The Guess Who

Carole King
Tapestry

Bette Midler
Bathhouse Betty

Queen Ida & The Bon Temps Zydeco Band
On Tour (Featuring Al Rapone)

Loretta Lynn
Van Lear Rose

Queen
Greatest Hits

Salsa
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Edit: More Essentials

Prince
Graffiti Bridge

Gap Band
Gap Band IV

Miranda Louise
Face In My Dreams

Lyle Lovett
Lyle Lovett & His Large Band

Francine Reed
Can't Make It On My Own

The Carter Family
In the Shadow Of Clinch Moutain

June Carter Cash
Wildwood Flower

Rev. F. C. Barnes & Rev. Janice Brown
Rough Side of the Mountain

Sorry; ten is just impossible.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
10. Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience
9. Automatic for the People - REM
8. Disintigration - The Cure
7. American Idiot - Green Day
6. Rites of Passage - Indigo Girls
5. So Far - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
4. Biograph - Bob Dylan
3. The Doors - The Doors
2. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

SCDee

1. Led Zeppelin, not only their first album but all of them. It's funny, my granddaughter who is a teenager likes them too but not my daughter. How did I manage to raise a daughter who doesn't like Led Zeppelin?!

2. David Bowie Ziggy Stardust.

3. The Very Best of Todd Rundgren

4. George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album

5. Leon Russell's Whipporwill (?) not sure now if that was the title of it or not, having a CRS moment

6. Dave Mathews Band All of their music

7. All of Hiroshima's music, they are a Japanese-American jazz band.

8. The Best of David Sanborn Fantastic saxophonist!

9. Yanni In Celebration of Life

10. Last but not least, The Celestine Prophecy:A Musical Voyage

no-body

Nice to see some Johnny Cash on there... I haven't heard of half of these bands, I must be old. Here are a couple of my favorite albums in no particular order:

Songs in the key of life ~ Stevie Wonder... It's just great R&B pop from start to finish.

Pink Moon ~ Nick Drake... Very quiet and thoughtful. It's sad he killed himself after making it

Liquid Swords ~ GZA... I'm not much into rap, but this is pretty tight

40oz to freedom ~ Sublime... It's kind of adolescent in a way, but good music is good music

Live at Folsom ~ Johnny Cash... Cash at his finest

2112 ~ Rush ... except for the fact that half of it's inspired by Ayn Rand this is one of their best albums

Pet sounds ~ Beach boys ... the album Sgt pepper tried to be, but wasn't

Rain Dogs ~ Tom Waits... some people think this is hipster music, eh, whatever. I love the whiskey soaked, chain smoking ambiance it resonates.

Revolver ~ The Beatles... Their best album and the hippy stuff isn't too overwhelming. I have no idea why Beatles fans pick Sgt Pepper over this. Not even close.

Kind of Blue ~ Miles Davis... Everyone should listen to this

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well I hate rating 'top' bands, 'top' albums, 'top' books, etc. but since some of you listed some of the bands I grew up on like NIN and Joy Division, and the obviously great like Led Zeppelin. I'll throw 10 of my own.

1. Nick Cave- The Boatman's Call

2. Leonard Cohen- Songs of Love and Hate

3. King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King

4. Dead Can Dance- Serpent's Egg

5. Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald- Porgy and Bess

6. Annie Lennox- Diva

7. Vangelis- Blade Runner score

8. Carl Orff- Carmina Burana

9. Ozric Tentacles- Jurassic Shift

10. Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

Great choices, but come on people..............no Muppets? :(

f44566yhhz9.jpg

I always had a soft spot for half way down the stairs....sung by Kermit's nephew

I think its cause I'm Libran...

[youtube]qGFR3zz12p0[/youtube]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGFR3zz12p0

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair where I sit.
There isn't any other stair quite like it.
I'm not at the bottom
I'm not at the top.
So this is the stair where I always stop.

Halfway up the stairs
isn't up and isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery, it isn't in the town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
run round my head.
It isn't really anywhere,
it's somewhere else instead.

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair where I sit.
There isn't any other stair quite like it.
I'm not at the bottom
I'm not at the top.
So this is the stair where I always stop.

(Words by AA Milne)

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Subject to change without notice. These are the albums I believe I listened to the most times over the years.

10. Security - Peter Gabriel
9. Tera Melos - Tera Melos
8. Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra
7. Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
6. Brandenburg Concertos - J.S. Bach
5. Singles Breaking Up - Don Caballero
4. Discipline - King Crimson
3. Einstein On the Beach - Philip Glass
2. Mr Bungle - Mr Bungle
1. Wish You Where Here - Pink Floyd

Mr Cheese

There's one muppet musical session burned into my memory... Harry Belafonte and animal going head to head on drums.. and of course the muppets and Belafonte doing Day-O :D

The muppet show album was actually about my first ever record..

that and cough cough some disney stuff,.... I got hold of the record years later, but I left it back in England, I didnt ship my records to america really... :(

143535.jpg

highlights include...

I'm in love with a big blue frog, half way down the stairs, Mahna Mahna and Kermit singing that marx brother's classic "Lydia the tatooed lady"... but its all great....

I still say "Bongos doctor Bob!!!???" quite often....

more

Its sad that this album is now out of print...

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Subject to change without notice. These are the albums I believe I listened to the most times over the years.

10. Security - Peter Gabriel
9. Tera Melos - Tera Melos
8. Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra
7. Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
6. Brandenburg Concertos - J.S. Bach
5. Singles Breaking Up - Don Caballero
4. Discipline - King Crimson
3. Einstein On the Beach - Philip Glass
2. Mr Bungle - Mr Bungle
1. Wish You Where Here - Pink Floyd
Some superb lineup you have going there, Wandered Off.
If you can imagine it, when I first heard Shine on you crazy diamond live in 1975, just before the LP was out, I didn't like it. After Dark side of the Moon, I felt that Pink Floyd had "gone commercial", lol. The release of Animals got me back in the fold though. Also agree on Kate's Hounds of Love. I recall playing the second side many, many times over the years. It has aged very well.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Actually difficult for me...

Being that my music, while I have a lot of albums on CD/Vinyl, is alll on my computer, I tend to hit shuffle on the entire library, and so I don't really spend much time listening to single albums...

I also don't believe I have heard enough music to pick favourites, much less order them in a top-10.

However I'll list a few albums I know I do enjoy :p

Alice in Chains - Unplugged.

A Perfect Circle - Emotive
Firstly, Maynard is a god. APC's cover of Imagine on this is hauntingly beautiful - like it's mourning a vision that seems to have died somewhere.

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll
This album has some of the greatest Sabbath songs, I don't actually think I dislike any of them.

Bozzio/Levin/Stevens - Situation Dangerous
Fantastic instrumental album showcasing how well a 3-piece can work together and make a good variety of music.

Broken Note - Terminal Static
Actually came across this only the other day, but I fell in love immediately. This and Trentemoller's The Last Resort takes me places I've never been.

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine Biomech
Had this one for a year or so, and loved it from the start.

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Scenes From a Memory is another brilliant album. I used to live a 30-min drive out of town, and would put on Octavarium's last song, and that song would last the whole trip :D

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water
Glare at me all you want, but this is the first album I ever owned, and the first album that got my taste headed into the rock/metal scene. I still enjoy listening to it every now and then (not too long though, makes me go crazy otherwise :p)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
This album got me off the dangerous path that Limp Bizkit could have taken me and pointed me towards Metallica and Black Sabbath and beyond.

Led Zeppelin - ?
This band I can't pick a favourite album :(

Olafur Arnalds - Eulogy for Evolution
Amazing instrumental album - I go to sleep with this almost every night, and it's still playing when I wake up in the morning. Absolutely love it.

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth took me a little while to get into, didn't much like it at first, but after hearing this album a few times, I went and bought Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries, Morningrise, Orchid and Still Life. I think that about sums it up for Opeth :p

Pink Floyd - ?
Please don't make me pick here lol. I have a tremendous amount of respect for PF, and have only 1 album left to complete the discography.

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
From the first song to the last, every one brings back my memories of Friday/Saturday nights of the last few years of secondary school - this album was almost guaranteed to be brought out every night, it was an anthem album for myself and my friends.

Roberto Cacciapaglia - Quarto Tempo
Again, like Olafur Arnalds, some very good neo-classical stuff, with few vocals. Also very good to sleep to.

Tool - The Lateralus Code
Maynard is God.
[youtube]wS7CZIJVxFY[/youtube]
Tool - Lateralus, and the Fibonacci Sequence

'Nuff said. I could quite possibly pick this album as #1...

That about sums me up here, I'm not too good at picking favourites, so this is about as close as it's gonna get. My top 10 tend to depend alot on my mood and how I'm feeling at the time as to what my favourites will be

Last edited: