• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top ten albums

Mr Cheese

Nominate your top ten albums...

say why you like each one if you like
provide pictures if you like

here's a quick top ten for me in no particular order:

Throwing Muses the Real Ramona

Kristin Hersh, Tanya Donelly et al....
sheer pop classic....this album just makes me smile and uplifts me

higlights include: counting backwards, honeychain and hook in her Head

The Beatles

the culmination arguably of everythign the beatles did in their time...
a sheer classic that envoking everything from charles manson to peace protests...

Higlights include: revolution, blackbird, Happiness is a warm gun and Helter Skelter

Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffitti

Teh four symbols album is just a classic, but I always preferred their double masterpiece...

Highlights include Kashmir, Night FLight and Ten Years Gone, In the light etc...

physical-graffiti_1975.jpg

Thorns

Snorre Ruch's masterpiece of Black Metal featuring Hell hammer, Satyr of Satyricon and co...
through ten years in the making, murder, church desecration and contraversy we have a sheer classic

Highlights include: World playground deciet, Vortex :

thorns_big.jpg

SWANS: the great Annihilator
Emerging from the New York No wave scene, along with bands such as Sonic Youth, Swans were a punishing and deeply rewarding band. Unafraid to break borders, reinvent themselves and grow at every turn. The Great Annihilator, is perhaps SWANS' greatest achievement and overall most cohesive album. Highligghts include: Mother's milk, Killing for company and I am the Sun

album-great-annihilator.jpg

Nirvana: In Utero

After they sold the wolrd, became a phenomenon, came In Utero. Cobain's first official suicide note (the original title of the album was "I hate myself and want to die"), A perfect blend of Nevermind and Bleach..to for a quinetessential album. Highlights include: radio friendly unit shifter, Dumb, heart shaped Box, penny royal tea and very ape.
In-Utero.jpg

Throbbing Gristle: 20 Jazz Funk greats

20 Jazz funk greats, by the Wreckers of Civilisation (throbbing gristle). TG, the band that punks WANTED to be... they invented "industrial music" and progressed to this album. Here we find subtle, almost sublime easy listening with a hint of extreme disturbance. The cover fits a retro cheesy 70's cover, that people later discovered was taken at Beachy Head in England, a well known suicide spot. High lights include: Hot on the heels of love, Persuasion and Walkabout (based on the australian term).

20_Jazz_Funk_Greats.jpg

PIL: Metal Box. Public Image Ltd formed from the ashes of the sex pistols. For their seminal 2nd album, they embraced seemingly electronic music, that at the time, few understood. The record itself was released in a metal film cannister, containg 3 records, that simply bore the band's logo. No track listing was given. A sheer classic, that influenced many... Highlights include: Radio 4, death disco and Careering

metal-box.jpg

REM: Automatic for the People
Coming at a time when grunge was at its height, REM released perhaps their finest album. A simple blend of good song writing and pop. Something that I can listen to at any time. Highlights include: Monty got a raw deal, Drive and Man on the Moon

AutomaticCover.jpg

The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers: With a cover conceived of by Andy Warhol, the classic stones album gets me going at any occaison. Of course for me the stones were always a xmas band..and no xmas was complete without the stones.
Higlights include: wild horses, brown sugar and dead flowers.
I find it tough to decide if I prefer this or let it bleed more...
RSSF71.jpg

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Still the best album ever in my personal ranking: 1938's Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall.

First, there's the performers, including Gene Krupa, Harry James, Lionel Hampton, and of course Benny Goodman. Getting all that talent in one place to play together is astounding enough all by itself.

Second, there's the performance itself: the main body of the show was a retrospective called "Twenty Years of Jazz" that touched on all the major points from the style's inception to what was then present-day.

Third, there's the significance of the event: it was the first-ever jazz concert in Carnegie Hall. It marked a turning point in popular music: jazz had "arrived". It had become respectable.

Fourth, there's the flukey aspect of the recording: until just before the concert, there wasn't even any plan to record it. When the recording did happen, it was never intended for wide release: Albert Marx, one of Benny's singers, decided to do it so he could give recordings as presents to his wife and to Benny.

And finally: the almost-8-minute version of Sing Sing Sing. That was worth the price of admission right there.

Metalic Wings

Be Not Nobody: Vanessa Carlton

As far as albums as a whole go, the progression of the music from start to end is pretty chilling. Of course, everyone likes A Thousand Miles, but the real treasure is the final song: Twilight (And no, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the series--it came out long before).

Kung Fu Panda OST

Alright, I'm a Disney fan. Shoot me. But seriously, the music on here is great. Especially Master Oogway's song.

Other than those two, I really tend to focus on just single songs instead of albums. Maybe more later?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oooooooooo.

10: Collective Soul - Dosage
They're not among my favorite bands, but this album is just so well put together. It flows from one song into another better than a few rock operas I've heard.

9: Whichever Ofra Haza album had Yerushalayim Shel Zahav, because it's one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

8: Dave Matthews Band - Crash
DMB is always good, but I chose Crash for Crash Into Me (which you think would be easy to find on YouTube, but it's all covers :().

7: Mike Oldfield - Light + Shade
Tough competition from my favorite composer, but this double-album symphony wins by a nose. Sample: Blackbird (from Light)

6: Cyndi Lauper - Twelve Deadly Cyns
Mostly a hits compilation, this beautifully showcases Cyndi's emotional range. Favorite track: Sally's Pigeons

5: Cowboy Mouth - The Avenue
One of my top 3 bands, Cowboy Mouth had to get a spot. :D The Avenue was the clear winner for two tracks: The Avenue and Home. You see, CM is a NOLA band, and just happened to be in the studio when Katrina hit. Home was written before they even knew their families were safe, The Avenue in the wake of frontman Fred LeBlanc's first view of the devastation. (Can't find decent vids, sorry.)

4: Great Big Sea - Something Beautiful
Another favorite band, GBS was likewise guaranteed an entry. I've yet to be disappointed by them, but Something Beautiful has the highest ratio of favorite tracks. It's hard to pick a sample track, but I'll go with John Barbour (since I could only find a cover of Lucky Me).

3: Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Christmas Eve & Other Stories
Final favorite band, creators of the BEST. Christmas. Album. EVER! It's a rock opera telling the story of an angel sent out to find a gift for God. He visits war-torn Sarajevo, among other extremes, and eventually reunites an estranged father and daughter. Call me a sentimental sap, but Christmas Eve Sarajevo and Ornament get me every time. *sniff*

2: TSO - Beethoven's Last Night
TSO strikes again! BLN is another rock opera, telling the story of Beethoven tempted and tormented by Mephistopoles on the night of his death. (See the Wiki for an excellent synopsis.) The blending of classical pieces with original (and one another) is truly magnificent, but my favorite track would have to be the unbridled rage of Requiem (The Fifth).

1: Savatage - The Wake Of Magellan
I cannot begin to describe how profoundly this album affects me, but to give you an idea, I took it to my therapist as a description of my journey toward mental health.
Yet another rock opera from Savatage (the core of TSO), this one weaves together several stories, but the unifying theme is overcoming suicidal depression. There's not a track on it that can't move me to tears, but the ones I played in therapy were Morning Sun and The Hourglass.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
An impossible task, but I'll give it a go.

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion
New Order - Substance
Dramarama - Cinema Verite
Nirvana - Nevermind
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
The Cure - Disintegration
Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom

Just_me_Mike

10 Dark Side of the moon - Pink Floyd

9 Mollusk - Ween

8 American Idiot - Greenday

7 Aenima - Tool

6 Legend Bob Marley

5 So Tonight That I Might See - Mazzy Star

4 Chaos AD - Sepultre

3 Ill Communication - Beastie Boys

2 Superunknown - Soundgarden

1 Ride the Lightening - Metallica

droog1

Tough one for me also, Mr. Cheese, but I will give it a go:

10: Beatles: White Album
9: Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
8: Wishbone Ash: There's the Rub
7: Be Bop Deluxe : Sunburst Finish
6: Focus: Live at the Rainbow
5: Joe Satriani: Surfing With the Alien
4: Be Bop Deluxe: Futurama
3: Jethro Tull: Aqualung
2: Led Zeppelin: Zoso (iv)
1: Be Bop Deluxe: Live in the Air Age

Glad to be here. Thought I'd start in a topic close to my heart. :) I have an extremely hard time with this, so since I am in a heavy metal mood recently, my top ten will be heavy metal.
....and in no particular order

10. Reign in Blood by Slayer
Their finest, and the first album I ever learned to play on bass guitar.

9. Leviathan by Mastodon
I am still in awe of this album. Epic.

8. Phantom Limb by Pig Destroyer
The most violent album I own. Will shred your eardrums, guaranteed.

7. Paranoid by Black Sabbath

6. Annihilation of the Wicked by Nile
Brutal.

5. Individual Thought Patterns
The best of the death metal pioneers.

4. Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse
If only for "Hammer Smashed Face"

3. Khanate by Khanate
Electrifying. The heaviest with the least.

2. Ride the Lightning by Metallica
What heavy metal list misses Metallica?

1. Roots by Sepultura
Tribal metal?

Plenty more there, but off the top of my head.