• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today it will mainly be - this genre

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Last one...flute.

Debussy.
Syrinx.
Performed by Emmanuel Pahud.

Well four out of five isn't so bad :D - and my Classical taste is hardly firmly based, being more 'what appeals' than anything else, and frankly it tended to be more mainstream unless I came across something that just appealed for some reason. Plus, I have little access to what I found enjoyable years ago, apart from the obvious, so often it takes a listen to recognise what I might like. One might guess what the next genre could be. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps four and a half. :D

To add to this - as I've mentioned before, my access to all my classical stuff is limited since I don't have a vinyl player, and I've tended to listen elsewhere all too often. I used to listen to Radio Three (or the Third Programme) decades ago and make notes of the pieces I liked but that too is buried somewhere. Also, I don't think I ever went to a classical music concert - probably felt too intimidated then - so this is one genre that is probably the least explored. The Scriabin I might have to get used to - the others, I quite like almost immediately. :cool:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
To add to this - as I've mentioned before, my access to all my classical stuff is limited since I don't have a vinyl player, and I've tended to listen elsewhere all too often. I used to listen to Radio Three (or the Third Programme) decades ago and make notes of the pieces I liked but that too is buried somewhere. Also, I don't think I ever went to a classical music concert - probably felt too intimidated then - so this is one genre that is probably the least explored. The Scriabin I might have to get used to - the others, I quite like almost immediately. :cool:
The world of classical music opened up to me totally by accident only about 5 years ago. I was totally at base camp, would have struggled to spell Batehoven. I read a very good primer book (Jan Swafford), joined an online classical music forum (great for lists of "best of" and discovering new names) and started using youtube and spotify. Concerts are more like the cinema than rock gigs - you get to appreciate the sweet rustlers and the coughers.
I'm so glad you liked 4 and a half! If you'd simply said there was one you didn't like I would have picked the Bacewicz. Scriabin's most obvious early influence was Chopin, such as with Sonatas 1, 2 or 3. (Not to try and persuade)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The world of classical music opened up to me totally by accident only about 5 years ago. I was totally at base camp, would have struggled to spell Batehoven. I read a very good primer book (Jan Swafford), joined an online classical music forum (great for lists of "best of" and discovering new names) and started using youtube and spotify. Concerts are more like the cinema than rock gigs - you get to appreciate the sweet rustlers and the coughers.
I'm so glad you liked 4 and a half! If you'd simply said there was one you didn't like I would have picked the Bacewicz. Scriabin's most obvious early influence was Chopin, such as with Sonatas 1, 2 or 3. (Not to try and persuade)

It's probably just the solo piano, but I do like some piano concertos. I'll need to have a poke about on YouTube.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As a follow-on from many of the soloists, we now have - Classical - a large enough field, and mine is a little rusty, mainly being in the more obvious anyway - so plenty to go at:

(starts 4:35)

(starts 2:30)

But the sound is better on this:

(starts 2:35, ballet at 10:00)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

(Undoubtedly many will not be able to get Moonrise Kingdom out of their heads, since it was such a lovely film)