• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To whom are Atheist thankful?

Pah

Uber all member
I'm thankful to my friends and family for being friends and family. I'm thankful to the host for providing a great meal and place where friends and family can celebrate

Bob

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Great question, Pah. I'm not an Atheist, but I'd have to say that more than anyone, I'm thankful to my parents.

After that, my immediate family and the friends that feel my pain when I'm hurting.

I'm grateful to those individuals that have sacrificed of themselves to keep me free - and that does NOT mean exclusively Americans.

I'm grateful to the teachers that taught me how to think critically, with logic and reason.

TVOR

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Deut. 32.8 said:
What a shame.
Deut -
I wrote a PM to Ceridwen. I told her that with each passing day, reading some of the posts on this site, I drift closer and closer to the side of Atheism. Some of the things that get posted on this site in the arguments for the existence of God make my head spin. My dog could pose better reasons to believe in God than some of the rubbish posted here.

TVOR

Pah

Uber all member
I was thinking that this thread would be about the recipent of our thanks and not the reason for giving thanks.

Am I right in thinking that they may both be the same?

Bob

tumble_weed

Hmmm...you don't need God to be thankful for things...look around...I'm thankful to friends family and other miscellanious people and inn/animate objects

skills101

Vicar of Christ
I guess I'm thankful for my parents, good friends, brother, all the things I have, teachers, and of course... RF.

But, I'm kind of confused why this thread only pertains to atheists. Does religion specifically make you thankful for things?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It is a perseption that some have that Athiests are an unthankfull lot. Such people mistake true thankfullness and worshipfullness IMHO.

wa:do

I'm thankful to Matt Groening.

TVOR said:
Deut -
I wrote a PM to Ceridwen. I told her that with each passing day, reading some of the posts on this site, I drift closer and closer to the side of Atheism. Some of the things that get posted on this site in the arguments for the existence of God make my head spin. My dog could pose better reasons to believe in God than some of the rubbish posted here.
Which is sad, really, because I think there are legitimate arguments for belief in an impersonal god.

linwood

Pah. I'm not an Atheist,
I`d bet you`re farther along than even you think you are.
:)

I`m thankful for the society I live in because it makes my life and family possible and I am truly thankful for them.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Yes, he was. He did not feel he should try to influence others in matters of religion, so he went to great lengths not to publish his personal beliefs.
However, this is off-topic, and should be discussed in another thread (and already has).

TVOR