• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Religious Left: Do you accept we’re not all bad?

SinSaber

Do you know that not all us on the right want to enforce our religion through laws?

We are not regressive fundamentalists. We are simply traditionalists who believe in the dignity of all people. We just have a different Out look on life.

I’m not saying we’re the majority, but we’re not the kind of people you lump is with

danieldemol

Premium Member
I would imagine that very few on the religious right don’t want at least some aspects of their religion enforced through law, otherwise there would never have been any legal objections to gay marriage

danieldemol

Premium Member
If a person didn’t consider Jewish marriage worthy of recognition, but didn’t want a law against Jews getting married, you would probably be in a similar “not as bad as the legislating discriminators” type category if it makes you feel any better

SinSaber

If a person didn’t consider Jewish marriage worthy of recognition, but didn’t want a law against Jews getting married, you would probably be in a similar “not as bad as the legislating discriminators” type category if it makes you feel any better

It doesn’t, cause your still casting judgment in comparison

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Do you know that not all us on the right want to enforce our religion through laws?

. . .but the majority do.

We are not regressive fundamentalists. We are simply traditionalists who believe in the dignity of all people. We just have a different Out look on life.

The majority, of course not all, of the Republican Party are regressive fundamentalists in the form of the Tea Party. They are unfortunately allied with the corporate Republican elite, and the result is disastrous.

You definitely do have a different outlook on life.

I was raised in a moderate Republican Party. There is no place in the party for moderates, because we cannot pass the acid test of conservatism. I am an Independent, but remain a McCain Republican at heart.

[/quote]
I’m not saying we’re the majority, but we’re not the kind of people you lump us with[/QUOTE]

but . . . it is your choice, because the largest lump of Republicans, of course not all, are regressive fundamentalists the form of the Tea Party, and corporate Republicans.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
The same pursuit of happiness every human is entitled too.
But it sounds like you believe the Religious left has different opinions about that. Is it that correct? What is that different outlook on life? And if so, may you explain? :)

What does "religious left" mean to you? Makes me think left hand path but I doubt that's what you mean.
I assume he means religious people who lean to the left, Idav :)

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Cool. Now stop voting people into office who keep doing all the things you say you aren't in favor of.

I know this wasn't addressed to me, since I'm not religious, but I can still put my 2 cents in. I don't have anything against you. I definitely dislike many politicians though. Don't attach yourself to them too much and we're fine.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
what is a religious left?
Left and right are political terms not religious ones.

I'm pretty liberal politically. When I see deeply religious people rushing to the aide of those suffering, I applaud. Any Christian, for example, who sincerely tries to live the two "greatest commandments" and live the principles of the Sermon on the Mount is worthy of respect.

And if some want to organize their own personal lives according to their understanding of virtue, I have no objection. So if they for example dress conservatively, that's their business.

But when some want, as it were, "Caesar" to enforce what they believe is Biblical law, they cross the line into ISIS/Taliban territory because those types want to force everyone to live according to their view of religious law.

I do know that some on either side politically lump all of those on the other side into a group and cast aspersions as if there was no subtlety and that's unfortunate.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Still trying to figure out what "religious left" could possibly be ...
i presume it some sort of Americanism , could you explain in more detail ...
If you are referring to left in politics then it has nothing to do with religion

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

I’m not saying we’re the majority, but we’re not the kind of people you lump is with

You have to explain how your religion informs your political views. . . if the answer is "not at all", then you actually aren't a member of the religious right.

You are conservative and your are religious. The term "religious right" means having religion inform your politics, doesn't it?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes, and that's good, but not important to people that don't know you or interact with you.

What matters are the numbers that do want to impose their religious views on others using the might of the state to do it.

What kind of lumping do you mean? Using the word "Christians"? When I refer to all Christians collectively, I am generally referring to something that applies to most or all of them such as their willingness to believe by faith, or that most or all refer to the same scriptures.

Rather than refer to Christians - people - I am more likely to refer to Christianity and the Christian church, which is a worldview and the institution that promotes it, both abstract entities that transcend the people and other physical aspects of Christianity such as houses of worship. I for one consider the net effect of this immaterial juggernaut to be deleterious to societies in which it holds significant cultural hegemony, and so argue against it and the damage it does to many but not all of its adherents.

It doesn't matter to a secularist concerned with the church's incessant efforts to pierce the church-state wall, for example, or its efforts to demonize and marginalize homosexuals and atheists that some adherents aren't part of that problem.

It doesn't matter than 19% of white evangelical Christians didn't vote for Trump. What matters is that 81% of them did, and the abstract entity that created those 81%

And it doesn't matter that some Alabaman Christians won't vote for Roy Moore. You probably wouldn't. What matters is that the Christian church in Alabama has created too any people willing to vote for a pedophile that was twice kicked out of the Alabama Supreme Court.

And to address that, we don't deal with individual Christians, but address the program that makes so many of them a problem.

Still trying to figure out what "religious left" could possibly be ...
i presume it some sort of Americanism , could you explain in more detail ...
If you are referring to left in politics then it has nothing to do with religion

It's an American thing. Christians can be liberal or conservative, but in America, there is such a huge overlap between conservatives and Christians that the term "the religious right" has become familiar and meaningful. I'm assuming that by the religious left, he means politically liberal Christians, and considers himself one. I believe that he considers the conservative majority of Christians to be tarnishing how non-Christians view all Christians, and want to distance himself from the stigma being created by the conservative ones.

That's understandable.

Unfortunately, as you surely know, when you carry the banner for an organization, you inherit whatever comes with that whether you agree with it all or not.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Left and right are political terms not religious ones.

I'm pretty liberal politically. When I see deeply religious people rushing to the aide of those suffering, I applaud. Any Christian, for example, who sincerely tries to live the two "greatest commandments" and live the principles of the Sermon on the Mount is worthy of respect.

And if some want to organize their own personal lives according to their understanding of virtue, I have no objection. So if they for example dress conservatively, that's their business.

But when some want, as it were, "Caesar" to enforce what they believe is Biblical law, they cross the line into ISIS/Taliban territory because those types want to force everyone to live according to their view of religious law.

I do know that some on either side politically lump all of those on the other side into a group and cast aspersions as if there was no subtlety and that's unfortunate.

Yeah but the religious left term was confusing.