• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To choose a dharmic religion

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
If you had to convert to a dharmic religion, which religion would you choose?
Sikhism, Hinduism, Jainism or Buddhism?
Well I'm already a Jainist, I was very impressed by a Sikh I met, I've read the Mahabharata, and I'm impressed with the peacefulness of Buddhism.

If my church allows me I'll probably choose all of them!

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I think Sikhism requires you to learn the Gujarati language to read and listen to recitations from their holy book, the Adi Granth

The Gurū Granth Sāhib is written in the Gurmukhi script. The language is Punjabi and some others, I think.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Absolutely your choice. Get more information on them. IMHO:
Hinduism: Mainly Theist. Has an atheist version too. Strong on philosophy.
Budhism: Atheist. Has theistic versions too. Strong on philosophy.
Sikhism: Mainly theist. But at depth, non-dual. Strong on social service.
Jainism: Atheist. Strange on Cosmogony. Strong on non-violence and non-possession.
I try not to restrict myself to the cultural/religious borders established by a particular tradition and culture when it comes to finding "the right Faith".
I believe this is the best way to learn about the Omnipotent and Transcendent God/Force that matters to me.
Borders in Dharmic religions are very soft. No visa requirements. :D
Are threats involved?!
Threats in Dharmic religions, no. They are gentle reminders, persuations towards what is humane to do (your duties, 'dharma').

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think Sikhism requires you to learn the Gujarati language to read and listen to recitations from their holy book, the Adi Granth, ..
As Mangalavara said, Punjabi and not Gujarati. But English translations are available on internet. One can be a Sikh without having a hair-bun and a turban or a knife (kirpan). Many overseas Sikhs have short hair because of various reasons (they may not want to stand out).
I'm already a Hindu and Buddhist as a Baha'i.
Yeah, you are, though you do not consider Krishna as God and consider Buddha as messenger of a God, in difference to believer of these religions. You also say that the message of Krishna and Buddha has been corrupted and the latest version from Allah was brought by a 19th Century Iranian.You have the same view of other religions as well.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

I love the Bhagavad Gita, and the Dhammapada, so I take something from both these texts with me on my spiritual journey, while remaining in the loosest, non denominational sense, a Christian.

Having turned my back on Christianity nearly 40 years ago, I find myself increasingly being drawn back there, but half expect to find Jesus and the Virgin Mary sitting beside Krishna, in a dream had by the Buddha.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm already a Hindu and Buddhist as a Baha'i.

Which type of Hindu. Vaishnava? Saivam? Do you follow Atta/Athman or anatto/anathman? Do you believe in the Thauthisa?

Please elaborate how you are a Buddhist, Hindu, as a Bahai in this context.

Thanks.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Why would one have to convert? If your beliefs are yours. Either they align with one of these or they don't.

Why adjust your views to align with those of a religion.

I identify as Hindu, because Hinduism is the religion that best aligns with my worldview. When I began identifying as Hindu, nothing about my views changed from before I identified as such.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I'm already a Jainist, I was very impressed by a Sikh I met, I've read the Mahabharata, and I'm impressed with the peacefulness of Buddhism.

If my church allows me I'll probably choose all of them!

So your church dictates how you should believe?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your definition of Dharmic religion seems like any Indian religion. Or do you have another definition?
Yeah, 'Dharmic' or 'Indic' indicates four religions which have their origin in India.
All religions have their duties. Some require worship of God/Gods/Goddesses, others may not require that.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Also Vaisheshika (the so-called Indian atomic theory) or Poorva Mimamsa (all that you require is to perform your rituals correctly).

The Crimson Universe

Also Vaisheshika (the so-called Indian atomic theory) or Poorva Mimamsa (all that you require is to perform your rituals correctly).

Aren't those rituals of poorva mimamsa directed towards various gods?
Its actually the uttara mimamsa or the knowledge portion that don't give importance to gods or rituals.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yeah, 'Dharmic' or 'Indic' indicates four religions which have their origin in India.
All religions have their duties. Some require worship of God/Gods/Goddesses, others may not require that.

I understand.

I just wished a clarification from the poster.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Aren't those rituals of poorva mimamsa directed towards various gods?
Its actually the uttara mimamsa or the knowledge portion that don't give importance to gods or rituals.
"The school of Mīmāṃsā consists of both atheistic and theistic doctrines, but the school showed little interest in systematic examination of the existence of Gods. Rather, it held that the soul is an eternal, omnipresent, inherently active spiritual essence, and focused on the epistemology and metaphysics of dharma. For the Mīmāṃsā school, dharma meant rituals and social duties, not devas, or gods, because gods existed only in name. The Mīmāṃsakas also held that Vedas are "eternal, author-less, and, infallible", that Vedic vidhi, or injunctions and mantras in rituals are prescriptive kārya or actions, and the rituals are of primary importance and merit. They considered the Upaniṣads and other texts related to self-knowledge and spirituality as subsidiary, a philosophical view that Vedānta disagreed with."
Mīmāṃsā - Wikipedia

Last edited: