• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To choose a dharmic religion

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
If you had to convert to a dharmic religion, which religion would you choose?
Sikhism, Hinduism, Jainism or Buddhism?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I used to call myself Hindu, so I am biased towards Hinduism. Although I really like Pure Land Buddhism as well.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I used to call myself Hindu, so I am biased towards Hinduism. Although I really like Pure Land Buddhism as well.
I also really like pure land buddism.

Why do you choose hinduism or pure land buddhism?:blush:

Gargovic Malkav

I try not to restrict myself to the cultural/religious borders established by a particular tradition and culture when it comes to finding "the right Faith".
I believe this is the best way to learn about the Omnipotent and Transcendent God/Force that matters to me.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I also really like pure land buddism.

Why do you choose hinduism or pure land buddhism?:blush:

Hinduism fit my view of the world, and even as a Wiccan now, I carry over a lot of their cosmology and view of things.

I like Pure Land Buddhism because I like the idea of an afterlife where you can go solely to learn Dharma. It's just a peaceful way to practice Buddhism.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Whenever I see their image and hear the mantra, I feel great. It's beautiful emotions they give me. :)

Very nice. Just before I started calling myself a Hindu, I was chanting mantras associated with Gaṇeśa and Śiva. Thanks to chanting them, I found that I no longer wanted to listen to the sort of music that I was listening to beforehand. Today, as a rule, I chant the name Rāma. Sometimes, I chant the Mahāmantra: Hare Rāma Hare Rāma Rāma Rāma Hare Hare / Hare Kṛṣṇa Hare Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Hare Hare. The Mahāmantra feels sweet and provides instant joy, in my experience.

Namaste. :yellowheart:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Depending on one's view, Dharmic gods are not necessarily almighty.

So, if you want plenty of gods, you're probably better of with Hinduism; if you want no gods to begin with (or your gods to dissolve in the white light of your mind, which amounts to the same), then Buddhism seems a better choice. There are schools in both Hinduism and Buddhism that focus on the repetition of the Holy Name, such as, for example, Hare Krishna for Hindus or Pure Land Buddhism for Buddhists.
Jainism has very strict rules about treating animals well (I think they wear a nose and mouth covering to avoid swallowing flies) and I think Sikhism requires you to learn the Gujarati language to read and listen to recitations from their holy book, the Adi Granth, so these two religions are probably more difficult to practice and less widespread than Hinduism or Buddhism.