• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To any Atheists, I Have a Few Scenarios for you to Look At.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Now that we have that out of the way, apply similar logic to every God-concept known and tell me how it goes.

WE'RE NOT SAYING EVERY CONCEPT OF GOD DOESN'T EXIST.

WE'RE NOT SAYING EVERY CONCEPT OF GOD DOESN'T EXIST.

Is that enough, or is there some other way to get that through your head? I don't say that every god-concept doesn't exist. I disagree with using the label "God" for some things. Some people say "God is love". Well, obviously, love exists. However, I disagree with calling it "God". That's just an example.

You need to get yourself unstuck from this idea that we're talking about every god-concept here. We're not. Again, it's like:

Me: I don't like chairs.
You: You don't like people who are the head of a committee?
Me: No, I was talking about pieces of furniture that you sit on. I'm not concerned with any other definitions of "chair".

And again, you prove that it's you who needs to stop talking and listen. You obviously don't understand what's going on here, and you're obviously not concerned with understanding. There are two parts to a conversation, talking and listening. You're doing the first part very well, and you're right that you can't make yourself any clearer. Now you just need to do the second part. If you do, you'll stop saying ridiculous things like this.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Mmm... I should probably stop posting. I've made myself clear.

Very good idea. Stop posting for a minute, and actually read others' posts. This is the problem. This is why I used the example of talking to someone who doesn't speak English. You just keep repeating yourself louder and louder. That's not solving anything. What you need to do is stop and listen.

It's strange, really. All four of the people I sent an e-mail to said they could understand where I was coming from...

Amazing. Your friends supported you? Who knew something like that would happen? :rolleyes:

and one of them actually commented on how strongly atheists were supporting their views upon being challenged...

Why is that something to comment on? Yes, we're strongly telling you you're wrong when you're telling us something ridiculous and false. So?

and how it was sort of amusing given the context.

Amusing? In what way? Are implying the whole "See who strong the backlash is? I must have hit a nerve. So, I must be right, if you're coming at me with this much zeal." kind of thing? If so, your whole argument here just got worse (as impossible as that seemed), and all I have to say is :facepalm:.

Oh, by the way, I showed this to a bunch of my friends. They didn't actually want to come on and comment (I won't tell you why, I'll just leave it at that...). But they did agree with me, and they all thought you were being ridiculous. They all especially commented on how you just keep repeating your same line over and over, even after people present evidence and examples against it, and how amusing that is. It was, like, 100 people that I showed it to, so I guess that tells you something.

Smoke

Done here.
I understand what you're saying. You are saying that the statement: "God exists" should be met with skepticism unless there is sufficient evidence to support it. But can't you see that same reasoning both ways? If someone said: "God doesn't exist", then following your reasoning, that statement should be met with skepticism unless the evidence is provided against it.
I give up.

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
Fine, you've just shown that the analogy used is a poor one. If you set up a camera in your room, you'd probably find that no fairy is stealing your teeth. Now that we have that out of the way, apply similar logic to every God-concept known and tell me how it goes.
No, it was a very apt analogy. Just like the tooth fairy, there are claims made about God, his interaction with the material world, and there is cultural context that we can use to get a clear look at what people mean when they say "God".

No "God" claims have been proven true. Prayer studies show that prayer is ineffective. Life, the Universe, and everything appear to have natural causes, not supernatural ones. When we look at the variety of human societies, we find all kinds of gods, and no gods. And when we look back in history and prehistory, we can see the concept of God evolves to fit new cultural contexts. It's precisely the same as the tooth fairy.

You chose the tooth fairy as an analogy of the proposition that "belief and disbelief are equally justified without definitive evidence". If your proposition was reasonable, it would work just as well with the tooth fairy as God. But it's not equally justified to believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, his brother Daryll, or God.

You're trying to dissociate yourself from the analogy because it proves you're wrong, not because it was a bad analogy.

every God-concept known
After humanity's long history of creating discredited gods, why should you believe their claims of gods that can't be disproven? Humans have shown that they want to create a god to believe in, and you're just looking for one that can't be disproven right now.

To be clear: no one is saying that a deist god could not exist. You could tailor-make a god that could never be disproven. A god that never does anything or only acts through naturalistic causes. But such a god is irrelevant and immaterial to our understanding of the Universe. (And on a personal note, I would suggest it's fairly stupid to search for a God that doesn't want to be found.)

You're clearly not debating in good faith. Don't spend time responding to this post, DarkSun. I really don't care what you have to say anymore.

Imagine these scenarios:

1 - You're a native American living freely in Europe. One night, you have a dream about white men coming to your land in big ships. The dream turns bleak. You dream of sickness, of disease, of death, of pain all because of the white men. When you wake up, you were so sure that the dream was real - but when you tell your elders they automatically console you... and tell you that such a thing will never happen, and that it was all a figment of your imagination. You keep believing what you saw to be true, and eventually everyone around you gives up on you as being deluded. Prove that the girl's dream was wrong.
The girl's dream in this case was correct, as we all know. Probably every other dream she ever had was incorrect. Therefore ... ? :confused:

2 - You're living in England in the 1750s. You have a firm view in mind that all swans are white. Someone then travels to Australia fifty years later and sends you back a letter telling you that they saw a black swan. But this can't be true. Swans are white. Your friend is obviously lying because black swans clearly don't exist, as you've never seen one yourself before. Prove that the man was lying.
I can't prove the man was lying. But this is different from religion. A more accurate analogy would be:
Primitive humans thought they could travel to Jupiter when they closed their eyes, where they saw all sorts of aliens. Today, modern humans are more reasonable: they believe they can visit Australia when they close their eyes. Some of them report seeing black swans. Others disagree, and say they are blue swans. People living in India see black elephants when they close their eyes, and people in Africa see pink cheetahs. Later, missionaries from Europe convinced the Africans they actually see black swans. Like a placebo, you have to believe in the swans to see them, and in order for the swans to answer your prayers you have to believe they will, and not rigorously test anything scientifically. Also, if you don't see black swans, you are going to hell.
I say the black swans are products of the human psyche. Prove me wrong.

3 - You're walking passed a church one day. The year is 2010 and your life is going pretty darn well. Suddenly, a small child strolls out and asks you why you're not inside. Not believing in a God of any kind, you smile to the boy and say you don't belong there. The boy frowns and walks back inside. You sigh. That poor child is being brainwashed. He's deluded and his parents are feeding lies to him. Prove this to be true.
I walk into the Church. The pastor says the Earth was created in six days. The congregation is obliged to reply 'Amen' in unison. Need I go on?

Kenect2

DarkSun, You keep claiming that there's no evidence on either side. Well, you're wrong. Here's one piece of evidence to not believe any religious claims:

Humans are notorious exaggerators, and frequently ascribe patterns to unrelated phenomena.

There. That's 1 piece of evidence against all theistic claims. It's now more logical to not believe than to believe, unless theists come up with one scrap of evidence for their claims. (Good luck with that.)

Ahh, I see that dorsk188 has already beat me to the logic that defeats DarkSun's position.

It puzzles me why so many people are committed to the position that "you can't prove a negative."

"Disproving" something or "proving a negative" is simply a contraposition:

P --> Q
~Q
--------
~P

Let's say I am a train wreck investigator. Someone calls me and reports there is a train wreck at a certain location. Before I go to the location, I notice that there are no other reports of the wreck. I then check the schedule to see which trains could possibly have crashed at this location at this time, and after contacting all those trains, I find that all are accounted for. As I am driving to the location, I expect to see smoke, but there is none. I expect to hear sirens of fire trucks and police, but I hear none. When I get to the location, I see no train wreck, no other responders, no spectators, no damaged tracks and indeed, no evidence that the report was true. What more proof do I need that there was no train wreck corresponding to the report? Haven't I successfully "disproven" the report? What more proof do I need that the report was fraudulent? In fact, sometimes reports are fraudulent. Sometimes, a lack of evidence where one would expect evidence can fairly be considered "proof of a negative."

Given that type of argument, we can systematically examine all creation hypotheses. Some religions hypothesize a kind of large tree from which life blossomed. Where is the bark and leaves of this tree? Nowhere to be found. Where is the cracked shell that we might expect if the world was hatched from some primeval egg? Nowhere to be found. Where is Auðumbla the primeval cow? Nowhere to be found. There are a bunch more creation hypotheses that you can examine if you like. I doubt it's possible to commit yourself to more than one of them.

At this point, we can apply dorks188's alternative explanation logic and ask ourselves if perhaps these hypotheses were wild speculations. Well, since it doesn't seem possible that more than one of them can be true, then it seems fair to say that the others, excepting the one in question, are false. Given that all the other creation hypotheses provide no evidence where we would expect evidence, and the alternative explanation - that they appear to be wild speculations, why in the world would I believe that any of them could possibly be true? I thus conclude that the general rule applies to all creation hypotheses. Why should I even believe the universe was created at all? I could just as easily believe that the universe has always existed.

Now you might be asking yourself - does this logic apply to the "Big Bang" hypothesis? In my opinion, it does. I don't believe that the "Big Bang" happened. I understand that the Big Bang hypothesis does a more robust job of explaining the available evidence than any other hypothesis. That makes the Big Bang hypothesis an interesting candidate for the earliest known events in our universe (I understand it is not actually a creation hypothesis). However, I am not an expert in physics and I have only reviewed a fraction of the available evidence. From what I have seen, it seems like a good idea, but due to my ignorance, I do not conclude that it actually happened.

Given my position on the Big Bang, it follows that some creation hypotheses might have value. So, despite my general rule that creation hypotheses are false, I remain open to consideration of these ideas. Some of the other creation hypotheses might have value that I am not aware of. Therefore, while I believe I have sufficiently "disproven" the truth of all creation hypotheses, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for me to bash the holders of these ideas. Some people might get some philosophical value out of these stories that I do not understand. Now, I will certainly argue against that person and his ideas, but I will try to treat him with common respect..

Kenect2

1 - What if we have free will? Then he would know how everything's going to turn out, but still can't do anything because that would make us a slave.

Yet, when we get to heaven, there is a paradise with no evil and, well, aren't we slaves at that point? If we're not slaves in heaven, why can't we have heaven on Earth? It just doesn't seem to add up for me.

DarkSun

:eltiT
:rolleyes: So, you want evidence, but you want a specific kind of evidence? Any old evidence won't do? That's like saying "Show me evidence for the existence of rocks. OK, here are some rocks. That was disappointing". :sarcastic

Your evidence so far has consisted things like this:

"God can't exist because an omnimax God wouldn't allow suffering."

Why not?

"God can't exist because a loving God wouldn't allow suffering."

Why not?

"An all powerful God is flawed because it can't create a wall it cannot jump over."

Why not?

"An intervening God cannot exist because God does not intervene."

Really?

You do understand that this isn't evidence?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Your evidence so far has consisted things like this:

"God can't exist because an omnimax God wouldn't allow suffering."

Why not?

Wow, way to pay attention there. I've never said anything like that. I mean, I've seen you use strawmen before, but this is just extremely blatant.

"God can't exist because a loving God wouldn't allow suffering."

Why not?

When did I say that? Even so, this is true. A loving god would not allow suffering unless there was nothing he could do about it.

"An all powerful God is flawed because it can't create a wall it cannot jump over."

Why not?

Where the hell are you getting this stuff? It's certainly not from me.

"An intervening God cannot exist because God does not intervene."

Really?

Finally, one that I think I mentioned or implied at some point. Yes, according to the evidence we have, God does not intervene.

You do understand that this isn't evidence?

You do understand that the two our of four that I actually might have mentioned before are evidence, right? The other two you just pulled out of somewhere I won't mention in an attempt to put words in my mouth. Nice try, but fail.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And I'm really tired. Meh, I don't think there's much point in responding. It's only going to frustrate everyone involved. And I actually have better things to do.

Interesting that when it gets to the point where you simply can't support your argument anymore, your solution is to just leave. Very telling.