• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To any Atheists, I Have a Few Scenarios for you to Look At.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
If an individual murders someone and says Satan "made" them do it, they should be put in a psychiatric ward for having a vastly different perception of the world from the majority of people... and it would be right to have them removed from everyone around them (in my eyes - and yours) because they're a threat.

But because we both can't EVER disprove that Satan made them do it (which sounds idiotic to me), then our disbelief in their statement is just as justified as their belief. Whether they sound like a moron to you or I is a moot point. Both sides have equal proof - or lack thereof.
Well, considering that the Christian God has no problem condemning an entire species based on the first-offense of the first two members of that species, I think we can also agree that this whole idea of collective guilt has a precedence and that therefore all Catholics today ought to be rounded up and tried for the murderous crusades and individual tortures and murders committed upon the infidels who refused to accept the Christian faith through history.

Does that sound reasonable to you? I hope not because that's how inane your argument sounds to me.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I thought your analogy was rather good. I don't understand how one could have misunderstood it.

Thank you. The funny part is I don't think DarkSun misunderstood it. I just think he dug in with his argument and doesn't want to turn back no matter what.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
Just because I disagree with someone and think they're too dangerous to be allowed to be kept near people doesn't mean I think my opinion is more justified than theirs. I'm not that arrogant.
Then why bother stating it if it isn't a true conviction?

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
If those beliefs are harmful to others, and if by minority, you mean two in 6.5 billion people have those beliefs, then yes.
Support your stated numbers please. Or is this something you just happen to believe so it doesn't matter if it's true or not?

slave2six

Substitious
DS - Dude, I respect you man but you have really put your foot in it on this thread. I think you should take some time off and come back and read your OP in a few weeks. I think you'll see what everyone else on this thread has been trying to tell you.

Pax.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Well, considering that the Christian God has no problem condemning an entire species based on the first-offense of the first two members of that species, I think we can also agree that this whole idea of collective guilt has a precedence and that therefore all Catholics today ought to be rounded up and tried for the murderous crusades and individual tortures and murders committed upon the infidels who refused to accept the Christian faith through history.

Does that sound reasonable to you? I hope not because that's how inane your argument sounds to me.

You do realise that what you just said has nothing to do with my argument at all?

DarkSun

DS - Dude, I respect you man but you have really put your foot in it on this thread. I think you should take some time off and come back and read your OP in a few weeks. I think you'll see what everyone else on this thread has been trying to tell you.

Pax.

Fair enough. I don't really have the time to keep repeating myself over and over for people who don't really seem to understand what I said when I said it the first time... and arguably don't really want to. Who votes I don't reply for a few weeks?

Last edited:

DarkSun

Nope, quite capable, but it is funny and ironic to be accused of something that just happens to be what you're guilty of.

I'll explain myself again...

1. People will believe whatever makes sense to them as an idividual.

2. People don't need empirical evidence to believe something.

3. However, if two people have contrary beliefs, each with equal amounts of empirical evidence, then neither belief is more justified than the other.

4. The people with opposing views may think each other are idiots depending on how greatly such views oppose each other.

5. However, that does not negate the fact each individual has equal empirical evidence for each view.

6. To eliminate bias from the situation when determining which viewpoint is most right, you would have to pick the viewpoint supported by scientific evidence.

7. If you do not use this method, then you are letting your own subjective morality come into play, which proves nothing except that you disagree with the other person.

8. This gets you no where.

9. So again. To eliminate all forms of bias, when deciding which view is most justified (not which view makes sense to you), you have to pick the viewpoint which is supported by the available data.

10. If there is no evidence for or against the views of each of the people in disagreement - then according to the evidence - they are both equally justified.

11. Using this reasoning, based on the emprical evidence alone, I am still allowed to disagree that murder with the excuse that "Satan made me do it" is okay. But just because that is my view, that doesn't mean the empirical evidence supports it. Can I make myself any more clear?

12. Conventional law is (arguably) a reflection of mainstream morality. Since such frameworks are against murder, it is justified that the man be commited to an asylum. Not because his view was more or less justified (based on the evidence - or lack thereof), but because a significant proportion of society would disagree that he was right in doing that (also based on zero empircal evidence).

13. If you still don't understand what I'm saying, then it's no longer my problem.

So, what's harmful about a belief that Satan made him murder?

Was that question rhetorical?

I'll take a poll of all the really smart people who know what defines an Atheist's belief system - right after I finish my new life-validating mission to make sure Pluto gets upgraded to planet status again.

Atheists are an incredibly diverse group of people all with differing beliefs. The one thing which unites atheism, though, is the disbelief in all forms of deity. Am I misguided here?

Also... There are rocks larger than Pluto and you want it to be called a planet? Pfft. :D

Well stated. And very true, by the bye. I know very few atheists who would look on real evidence of the existence of God and still insist he/she/it is not there. That's not what reasonable people do with evidence. Nor do they make up evidence...

I understand that atheism is in response to religion. But you still haven't explained how disbelief in God is supported by the available evidence.

As is belief in Peter Pan, periwinkle dragons, and feathered fish... Except that no one ever killed in the name of Peter Pan.

I'm sure Tinkerbel would have, given the chance. :p

I thought your analogy was rather good. I don't understand how one could have misunderstood it.

I didn't misunderstand the analogy. I understood it perfectly. And ever since I've been trying to explain why the conclusion made about that analogy is inaccurate (in my opinion).

All right. Let's break it down. When a claim is made, it should come with some evidence. If it doesn't come with evidence, the rational thing to do is doubt it until that evidence is provided. Now, in small claims like black swans in Australia, there can be a lower standard of evidence. In that case, a trusted friend's word can serve as sufficient evidence to believe such a claim (at least until further evidence comes to light).

But people still didn't believe that black swans could exist, even when given a friend's word. That example wasn't completely made up, you know?

In cases of fantastic claims, such as an omnimax theistic, interventionalist god existing, the evidence needs to be of a slightly higher standard.

Okay. If no one had EVER made that claim to you, and instead, without any further prompting, you came to that conclusion... would you be deluded? Would you require evidence? And you still haven't explained how disbelief is based on more evidence than belief.

If it's midnight and you and a friend are in your basement where there are no windows or doors to the outside, and your friend tells you that the sun is up, you're not justified in believing him unless he presents some evidence. You're, in fact, irrational for believing him in that instance. He may well be right, but since you've never seen the sun up where you live at midnight in 20+ years of living, and you know how the earth orbits the sun and how the daylight and nighttime work, you are more justified in doubting him. Not every claim is created equal.

You're only applying the inductive reasoning side of things to the person who disbelieves. What if, say, the person you're with came from Sweden and it was summer, so he would expect the sun to rise based on his 20+ years of living. So who is right based on deductive reasoning, disregarding inductive reasoning?

Thank you. The funny part is I don't think DarkSun misunderstood it. I just think he dug in with his argument and doesn't want to turn back no matter what.

Is this thinly veiled arrogance I see again?

Then why bother stating it if it isn't a true conviction?

Because the law is based on mainstream morality.

If you are talking about the Christian God then it can be logically proven that we don't have free will.Because you are all about the majority and the majority of religious people believe in the Christian God.

How?

And again, why focus on just the Christian God? There are more god-concepts than that.

Support your stated numbers please. Or is this something you just happen to believe so it doesn't matter if it's true or not?

I was using hyperbole.

Not nearly as much as me. :facepalm:

Last edited:

themadhair

I just have to say how freaking funny it is to watch DS appeal to majority law in order to avoid confessing his agreement with the unjustifiably of the satan defence. You dug yourself into that hole and it has been very entertaining watching you do so.

DarkSun

I just have to say how freaking funny it is to watch DS appeal to majority law in order to avoid confessing his agreement with the unjustifiably of the satan defence. You dug yourself into that hole and it has been very entertaining watching you do so.

I never said I agreed with "majority law" all the time, silly. I just said that's how the court system works.

Good night.

DarkSun

In other news, why am I reminded of xkcd? :p

0220%20-%20Philosophy.png

photoshopped.jpg

0171%20-%20String%20Theory.png

schrodinger.jpg

xkcd_LabyrinthPuzzle.png

barack_obama5.jpg

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Fair enough. I don't really have the time to keep repeating myself over and over for people who don't really seem to understand what I said when I said it the first time... and arguably don't really want to. Who votes I don't reply for a few weeks?

Good, because you don't need to keep repeating yourself. That's been the problem so far. What you need to do is stop and listen. We understand what you're saying. The problem is that you don't understand what we're saying.

DarkSun

Good, because you don't need to keep repeating yourself. That's been the problem so far. What you need to do is stop and listen. We understand what you're saying. The problem is that you don't understand what we're saying.

No? Well, okay then. I don't really see how that's the case, but I'll take your word for it and I'll think about it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'll explain myself again...

1. People will believe whatever makes sense to them as an idividual.

That's true.

2. People don't need empirical evidence to believe something.

Also true.

3. However, if two people have contrary beliefs, each with equal amounts of empirical evidence, then neither belief is more justified than the other.

It depends on what you mean by empirical evidence. If you change it to "equal amounts of verifiable, falisifiable, able-to-be-experienced-by-anyone evidence", then yes, that's true. However, that's not the case with the God debate, or the dream example in your OP.

4. The people with opposing views may think each other are idiots depending on how greatly such views oppose each other.

That's true.

5. However, that does not negate the fact each individual has equal empirical evidence for each view.

Again, it depends on what you mean by "empirical". If you mean "provable or verifiable by experience or experiment." as defined by dictionary.com, then, when discussing some of your examples and the God debate, both parties don't have that empirical evidence.

6. To eliminate bias from the situation when determining which viewpoint is most right, you would have to pick the viewpoint supported by scientific evidence.

Exactly. That's all we're trying to tell you. And in that case, in your OP, you would find that the view that dreams are visions of the future is "less right". In the God debate, you'll find that believing in an omnimax, interventionalist god is "less right".

7. If you do not use this method, then you are letting your own subjective morality come into play, which proves nothing except that you disagree with the other person.

That's true. That's why we are suggesting using exactly that method.

9. So again. To eliminate all forms of bias, when deciding which view is most justified (not which view makes sense to you), you have to pick the viewpoint which is supported by the available data.

So, again, exactly. That's what we're telling you. You have to go with the one that you can check and verify. One that you can test and one that fits all of the available data. That means not believing someone when they say they can see the future, unless they give you predictions that come true, for instance.

10. If there is no evidence for or against the views of each of the people in disagreement - then according to the evidence - they are both equally justified.

Ah, and herein lies the problem. For instance, you take that person who says they can predict the future. The evidence against them is that no one has ever been able to do this verifiably (that would go under the "experience" part of the "empirical" evidence). So, unless that person shows they are different from every other person that anyone has ever experienced, there is evidence against what they're saying.

11. Using this reasoning, based on the emprical evidence alone, I am still allowed to disagree that murder with the excuse that "Satan made me do it" is okay. But just because that is my view, that doesn't mean the empirical evidence supports it. Can I make myself any more clear?

Oh, you've made yourself perfectly clear. You're just making a huge leap that's wrong. I understand you want to play these games so that you can disagree with the "Satan made me do it" thing and still uphold your original point, but I also understand that you're simply rationalizing.

12. Conventional law is (arguably) a reflection of mainstream morality. Since such frameworks are against murder, it is justified that the man be commited to an asylum. Not because his view was more or less justified (based on the evidence - or lack thereof), but because a significant proportion of society would disagree that he was right in doing that (also based on zero empircal evidence).

There are two things going on here. What we are locked up for is a reflection of mainstream morality, which is usually summed up in "anything that can hurt or unjustly negatively affect someone else". How we determine that is through the court system, which is based on support with evidence. "Innocent until proven guilty". One side says "This man is guilty of murder". The other side says "Prove it". If there is insufficient proof - for instance, only a not-so-reliable witness - then the accused is assumed innocent according to the law. Just like, if someone claims that God exists or they can dream the future, but provide insufficient evidence, we assume they're wrong.

13. If you still don't understand what I'm saying, then it's no longer my problem.

See, here's another problem. You assume because I disagree that I don't understand what you're saying. I know exactly what you're saying. The problem is you're wrong.

The worst part is that you showed with your examples in the OP that you don't understand what atheists are saying, as in the case of the black swan. You don't seem to get why that is vastly different from the God debate, and yet here you are accusing others of not understanding you when the real problem is that you don't understand them.

Atheists are an incredibly diverse group of people all with differing beliefs. The one thing which unites atheism, though, is the disbelief in all forms of deity. Am I misguided here?

Yes, you are. Atheists don't disbelieve in all forms of deity. It's a - theism, meaning not theism. All atheists don't believe in is a theistic sort of god. There are plenty of others that can make sense and jive with what we know about the universe.

But people still didn't believe that black swans could exist, even when given a friend's word. That example wasn't completely made up, you know?

And? Why is that supposed to reflect on me? What does that have to do with me? You use it in the OP as an analogy, as if it relates closely to my assertion that people who believe in a certain type of god are wrong. I don't care whether some people didn't believe black swans existed. Some people didn't believe the world was round or that Native Americans were humans. I'm not one of them, and none of those things reflect on me in the slightest.

Okay. If no one had EVER made that claim to you, and instead, without any further prompting, you came to that conclusion... would you be deluded? Would you require evidence? And you still haven't explained how disbelief is based on more evidence than belief.

Yes, I would be deluded. I would require more evidence, but then I wouldn't come to that conclusion in the first place. I have explained how disbelief is based on more evidence than belief, you've just chosen to ignore it. That type of God doesn't make sense with everything we know about the world.

You're only applying the inductive reasoning side of things to the person who disbelieves. What if, say, the person you're with came from Sweden and it was summer, so he would expect the sun to rise based on his 20+ years of living. So who is right based on deductive reasoning, disregarding inductive reasoning?

That's great. You can change the analogy to say anything you want. The point is that if you and a friend who lives right near you are in that basement, it's more justified to disblieve him when he says it's light outside, even though you can't actually see it.

Is this thinly veiled arrogance I see again?

Nope. It's called calling it like it is. You dug yourself in and won't give up now.

And again, why focus on just the Christian God? There are more god-concepts than that.

ARGGHHH! Because that's the only one I'm really concerned with, for one. For another, it's the one that's most easily found fault with. Yes, there are other god concepts. As I explained, atheists don't reject all god concepts. Again, you misunderstand, and yet feel qualified to make accusations. I'm focusing on the Christian God concept because it's the one that makes the least sense, and the one that atheists argue against. If you want to talk about a different concept, then your analogies in the OP really, really don't work because atheists don't make those same assertions about all god concepts, contrary to your belief.

DarkSun

Ah, and herein lies the problem. For instance, you take that person who says they can predict the future. The evidence against them is that no one has ever been able to do this verifiably (that would go under the "experience" part of the "empirical" evidence). So, unless that person shows they are different from every other person that anyone has ever experienced, there is evidence against what they're saying.

Just a heads up. You're using the philosophical definition of "empirical evidence". Not the scientific one... which is what I meant.

In science, there is no experiential side to "empirical evidence".

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Just a heads up. You're using the philosophical definition of "empirical evidence". Not the scientific one... which is what I meant.

In science, there is no experiential side to "empirical evidence".

OK, now that we know which definition you're using: Then, to approach this scientifically, what you do is use their claim as the hypothesis, "My dreams predict the future". You test it and see. If you find evidence that the hypothesis is correct or works, then you're justified in believing it. If you don't find any evidence, then you're not justified.

There is experience in the scientific "empirical evidence". The experience is the tests that are run.