• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To any Atheists, I Have a Few Scenarios for you to Look At.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
But if you like to feel superior to eighty or ninety percent of the world then that's up to you.

Ah, I see you added this little non sequitur. This has nothing to do with feeling superior. It's the way rational people work. When someone makes a claim of a fantastic nature that seems to go against everything we know about the world, the rational person tends to assume it's not true until evidence for its veracity is provided. As in my murder example. The jury isn't equally justified in believing that the murderer was controlled by Satan, which is why they would normally lock the person up.

DarkSun

:eltiT
No, no, it has. Whether or not you want to accept it is a different story, but your view there has been shown quite soundly to be false.

For instance, the example of me murdering someone with plenty of witnesses and evidence to convict me, and me saying that Satan made me do it. Should people believe me and let me go, or should they chalk that up to delusion and lock me up? I mean, they should be equally justified in believing that Satan made me do it, right? So, they should just let me go since they can't prove me wrong, right?

If an individual murders someone and says Satan "made" them do it, they should be put in a psychiatric ward for having a vastly different perception of the world from the majority of people... and it would be right to have them removed from everyone around them (in my eyes - and yours) because they're a threat.

But because we both can't EVER disprove that Satan made them do it (which sounds idiotic to me), then our disbelief in their statement is just as justified as their belief. Whether they sound like a moron to you or I is a moot point. Both sides have equal proof - or lack thereof.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
In what way did Ted Haggard make Dawkins look like an ***?

I'm very sorry but I have to ask this.
Thank you for saving me the trouble. My impression of that encounter was that Haggard made himself look like an ***.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If an individual murders someone and says Satan "made" them do it, they should be put in a psychiatric ward for having a vastly different perception of the world from the majority of people... and it would be right to have them removed from everyone around them (in my eyes - and yours) because they're a threat.

But because we both can't EVER disprove that Satan made them do it (which sounds idiotic to me), then our disbelief in their statement is just as justified as their belief. Whether they sound like a moron to you or I is a moot point. Both sides have equal proof - or lack thereof.

Got it. So, believing them isn't an equally valid response as disbelieving them. I'm glad you agree.

DarkSun

Got it. So, believing them isn't an equally valid response as disbelieving them. I'm glad you agree.

I don't think you're following.

No, it means anyone who disagrees with the idea that we should base our opinions and ideas on evidence is irrational.

So you're irrational, now? Because you disbelieve without evidence? Sorry, I don't really agree there.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't think you're following.

No, I'm following. You said that same thing, just in different words, so that it wouldn't sound like you were saying the same thing. In saying "they should be put in a psychiatric ward for having a vastly different perception of the world from the majority of people" you said that we shouldn't believe them. You just said it in a way that's meant to make it look like that's not what you're saying. In reality, that's what you're saying, but you're welcome to continue being intellectually dishonest.

DarkSun

Nope. I base my opinions and ideas on evidence. (That's kind of what I just said, and what I've been saying all along. It helps to pay attention.)

Says the person who's using strawmen seemingly without realising it. Do you enjoy arguing against things I've never said?

DarkSun

No, I'm following. You said that same thing, just in different words, so that it wouldn't sound like you were saying the same thing. In saying "they should be put in a psychiatric ward for having a vastly different perception of the world from the majority of people" you said that we shouldn't believe them. You just said it in a way that's meant to make it look like that's not what you're saying. In reality, that's what you're saying, but you're welcome to continue being intellectually dishonest.

I don't have the time for this. :facepalm:

I said that I personally don't agree with him - and that most other people don't agree with him, and that he's a threat - which is why he should go into a psychiatric ward. Please highlight where I said anything other than that. Please illustrate where I said my opinion has more evidence than his. Please show me where I said I think my opinion is better than his.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't have the time for this. :facepalm:

I know. You just can't be bothered with the truth, huh?

I said that I personally don't agree with him - and that most other people don't agree with him, and that he's a threat - which is why he should go into a psychiatric ward. Please highlight where I said anything other than that. Please illustrate where I said my opinion has more evidence than his.

You didn't. That's the point. You were careful not to say that, and yet, you still think he should go to a mental institute. That tends to mean you think believing him would be unjustified, but that's only for people who don't have some ridiculous point to uphold and who like to be intellectually honest.

DarkSun

You didn't. That's the point. You were careful not to say that, and yet, you still think he should go to a mental institute. That tends to mean you think believing him would be unjustified, but that's only for people who don't have some ridiculous point to uphold and who like to be intellectually honest.

Just because I disagree with someone and think they're too dangerous to be allowed to be kept near people doesn't mean I think my opinion is more justified than theirs. I'm not that arrogant.

And what's this about me being intellectually dishonest? :facepalm: