• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time is an Illusion

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
or relative. Thus the present always exists for every observer and the future/past is always in relation to some otherness?

Hello. The definition of time has not really been nailed down. Through the lens of quantum mechanics though, time is just a sequence of events.

I highly recommended this book on time:

978-0393354812

Peace

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
or relative. Thus the present always exists for every observer and the future/past is always in relation to some otherness?

Time is a measurement of change.
Like an inch is a measurement of length.

What we measure exists, otherwise we'd have nothing to measure. We measure an inch of something. Time is a measure of something changing. If absolutely nothing changed, then there would be nothing to measure.

Time is a measurement of something, I suppose we shouldn't confuse the act of measuring something with what we are measuring.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hello. The definition of time has not really been nailed down. Through the lens of quantum mechanics though, time is just a sequence of events.

I highly recommended this book on time:

978-0393354812

Peace

maybe it's simply an angular projection/selection?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Surely, then, the post-present exists. :)

The goal-posts have simply been shifted.

I was going to say no but I suppose the post-present is our experience of the present, our experience of now which doesn't currently exist at our time of experiencing it.

David T

Premium Member
time is a measurement
a quotient
numbers on a chalkboard and nothing more

it is NOT a substance OR as force

it is indeed....an illusion
it's all in your head

now if you want to say movement is real......ok
and the space in between your starting point and your end point .......ok
and the flex of gravity and acceleration are there......ok

but time is just a means of understanding
in the form of numbers.....

in our heads
time is a measurement
a quotient
numbers on a chalkboard and nothing more

it is NOT a substance OR as force

it is indeed....an illusion
it's all in your head

now if you want to say movement is real......ok
and the space in between your starting point and your end point .......ok
and the flex of gravity and acceleration are there......ok

but time is just a means of understanding
in the form of numbers.....

in our heads
Yea but people actually getting that?

In a sense thats exactly what einstien did was show that nature isnt run by a clock or is a clock. Go figure!!!! Before clocks we had no idea of time as its understood today.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yea but people actually getting that?

In a sense thats exactly what einstien did was show that nature isnt run by a clock or is a clock. Go figure!!!! Before clocks we had no idea of time as its understood today.

makes me wonder, if the mind really can't start/stop and isn't linear as some think of time. maybe it's circular turning in and upon itself.

like the torq in your avatar.

twisted mind

Last edited:

Ponder This

Time is not a measurement.
Seconds and hours and days are measurements.
The oscillations in Cesium atoms is a measurement.
Space is not a measurement; Feet and meters and yards and miles are measurements.

The thing that makes measurements meaningful is a frame of reference. Thus an object within Space-Time can appear to have different measurements from different frames of reference.

Something that is often unclear is the nature of the observer. What is 'now'?
You can look back and say, 'that moment was'. You cannot look back and say, 'that moment is'. For, if that moment is 'now' and this moment is 'now', then because everything is 'now', nothing is 'now'.

David T

Premium Member
makes me wonder, if the mind really can't start/stop and isn't linear as some think of time. maybe it's circular turning in and upon itself.

like the torq in your avatar
Nature is definitely non linear. Most of us "smarter folk" get fanciful ideas in very linear ways.!!!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Nature is definitely non linear. Most of us "smarter folk" get fanciful ideas in very linear ways.!!!

nature is definitely cyclic

ophanim

IAG-IC-400.jpg

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahhhh...the cherubim seraphim of the throne,
if you believe in angels, I like purple unicorns better.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Ahhhh...the cherubim seraphim of the throne,
if you believe in angels, I like purple unicorns better.

the king sits upon the throne and judges. from the da'at all is centered

Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

Luke 6:45
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

Well it's better to have loved and lost
(Ah but it's better not to lose)
Than to never have loved at all
Never have loved, never have loved at all
Well it's better to have loved and lost
(Ah but it's better not to lose)
Than to always be alone
Always be alone
In your heart - Affairs of the Heart - Fleetwood Mac

Time is the chain of changes. For example one “year is one time around the sun”. “Since 1967, the second has been defined as exactly 9,192,631,770 times the period of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom”. Now, all of those can change. It could be that earth gets slower, or the speed in atoms change. They are not absolutes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Time has several definitions

One being a point of time as measured in years, days, hours minutes, picoseconds or whatever division you fancy.

Another the indefinite continuous progress of existence and events in the past, the present, and future.

Another, related to the last is times arrow, entropy.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Nothing is cyclic.... not even the Cosmos !

Ecclesiastes 1:9
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

All love flows into the world, yet the world is never full. To the place the love comes from, there it returns again.
Time has several definitions

One being a point of time as measured in years, days, hours minutes, picoseconds or whatever division you fancy.

Another the indefinite continuous progress of existence and events in the past, the present, and future.

Another, related to the last is times arrow, entropy.

where is my mind? way out in the water. see it swimmin'

The operation effectively reverses the arrow of time, at least in this isolated system. “The thermodynamic arrow of time relies on the notion that the entropy of a closed system can only increase or remain constant, but never decrease,” Micadei said. “By creating in the lab an isolated system where the entropy decreases, in the system the arrow of time should point to the opposite direction.”The results show that “the arrow of time is not an absolute concept; it strongly depends on the choice of initial conditions — so it’s relative,” Serra said.

But a new experiment shows that, unlike heat dissipating from your coffee cup on a cold day, quantum particles can transfer heat energy away from cold particles and toward hotter ones, a reversal of the second law. If the second law can be reversed in that way, then it’s entirely possible that the arrow of time can be reversed, too.