• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Threesomes?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The only way it's "higher risk" is that someone would have two people to contend with and get along with rather than one. I'm hesitant to say that polyamorous relationships or open relationships are more prone to disaster than any other... but I'm biased, since the only polyamorous people I've known are all in stable, happy relationships.

A

angellous_evangellous

jewscout said:
IMPO threesomes are a slippery slope into a HUGE disaster

And if they're not slippery, it's most likely that it's not any good.

A

angellous_evangellous

angellous_evangellous said:
And if they're not slippery, it's most likely that it's not any good.

This post put me over 60K! :cool:

Aqualung said:
Okay, here's what I posted about my reasons:
Let's see... God made one Adam and one Eve...

And then many of the patriarchs had many wives without condemnation, even though God freely condemned plenty of people for doing things as small as picking grain on the sabbath.

Jacob 2:27 says not any man... have save it be one wife

That's not part of the bible. :) That's the Book of Mormon or something, right? Remember, I specified "the bible". :)

Official Declaration One ended plural marriages.
&c.
Therefore, no man shall marry more than one woman, and no woman shall marry more than one man.

As to sleeping with people outside of marriage...
A man shall cleave unto his wife (not unto other women).
Articles of Faith says we believe in being chaste.
Fornicators will not inheret the kingdom of God.
To avoid fornication, every man should have his own wife.
&c.

All either Mormon stuff or stuff that doesn't explictly limit people to one wife.

Ody

Fish and Bread said:
That's not part of the bible. :) That's the Book of Mormon or something, right? Remember, I specified "the bible". :)
Many consider that to be "the bible" :D

Aqualung

Tasty
Fish and Bread said:
And then many of the patriarchs had many wives without condemnation, even though God freely condemned plenty of people for doing things as small as picking grain on the sabbath.
I disagree with that. God didn't outright condemn them, but he doesn't outright condenm a lot of people for a lot of things.

No you didn't. All you said was "can you elaborate on this." IT's right there at the bottom of page 6.

Flappycat

Jensa said:
The only way it's "higher risk" is that someone would have two people to contend with and get along with rather than one. I'm hesitant to say that polyamorous relationships or open relationships are more prone to disaster than any other... but I'm biased, since the only polyamorous people I've known are all in stable, happy relationships.
Do you know of a study that has been conducted on this subject? You see, I've known people who have been involved in threesomes that eventually fell apart, but I know nothing about the dynamics of those which are successful.

Melody

jeffrey said:
But what if the relationship was 2 men and 1 woman? Would it be different?

Yeah...never happen. I have one husband and that's *more* than enough on some days, thank you very much. :D

Aqualung said:
No you didn't. All you said was "can you elaborate on this." IT's right there at the bottom of page 6.

Here is what I said: "Can you elaborate on this? I've read through Deuteronomy before and don't recall a prohibition on polygamy. Actually, one of the interesting things about Christianity historically, to me, is that monogamy, apparently from the LDS Church for a short period of time, has rejected polyagamy pretty consistantly, even though it's nowhere explicitly stated in the bible that it's wrong. This is especially curious considering all the "sola scripture" (scripture alone) sects out there. How would an evangelical Protestant, for exmaple, feel justified in saying polygamy is wrong if the bible doesn't state it? I've always wondered about that."

So, in context, I was asking you to specifically elaborate on your view that Deuteronomy prohibits polygamy and secondarily questioning whether there is a biblical prohibition at all. I wasn't referring to anything else. :)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Melody said:
Yeah...never happen. I have one husband and that's *more* than enough on some days, thank you very much. :D

that's the way i feel about chicks...more than one and i create unnecessary drama in my life....and i HATE drama!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Flappycat said:
Do you know of a study that has been conducted on this subject? You see, I've known people who have been involved in threesomes that eventually fell apart, but I know nothing about the dynamics of those which are successful.
The only study I have at my disposal is my own experience from talking to people in happy polyamorous relationships. From what I've observed, they do the exact same thing successful monogamous people do: Talk out their problems, find middle ground, take their partners' feelings into consideration...

Aqualung

Tasty
Fish and Bread said:
So, in context, I was asking you to specifically elaborate on your view that Deuteronomy prohibits polygamy and secondarily questioning whether there is a biblical prohibition at all. I wasn't referring to anything else. :)
I guess I misunderstood what you were asking but, considering that I don't know if Deut even makes reference to polygamy at all, I can't really do that. :areyoucra

Melody

jewscout said:
that's the way i feel about chicks...more than one and i create unnecessary drama in my life....and i HATE drama!

Chicks? Chicks? Awwww JS....and I used to have such great respect for you. :D

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Melody said:

sorry....recent events have sort of skewed my views of the opposite sex:sorry1:
i try to be good tho...:sad4:

evearael

:chicken: Why get offended, Melody? Booko, however, has ever right to be offended. :D

Big hugs, Jewscout! Feel better soon!

Booko

Deviled Hen
standing_on_one_foot said:
Well now...why do you think the OT only prohibits sex between men? ;)

Beats me. I don't even understand why the OT prohibits that, except for worries about not producing enough children, which is hardly a problem today. My own religion prohibits anything but sex between one married man and one married woman, and I don't propose to understand that either. :shrug: Lucky me, I guess, that's my inclination anyway. Anything else is just too socially complicated. :eek:

Hmm. I'm not a big fan of sex just for the sake of itself, but I don't think it's particularly immoral for someone who's comfortable with that. I don't think it's great, since I think that there needs to be more to a relationship than sex, but if it's not my relationship then it's not my business. The number of people doesn't bother me (not my thing, but that wasn't the question), so long as it's consensual all round.

That's pretty much my take on it. I follow my religious beliefs as best I can, and everyone else's business is their business.

I'm not a fan of sex for its own sake either. Randy lass that I am, I found sex w/o some relationship to be less satisfying than a good cup of coffee and a piece of homemade bread. Go figure.

I also found out, through much experience, that a strange thing happens to relationships I've had with men when sex enters the picture -- conversation stops. It's happened any number of times, and is really strange. Comparing notes with other women, I'm not alone in having the experience either. For some reason, being married (or at least close enough to married?) that doesn't happen. Maybe that's why all those religious texts insist on marriage. Thousands of years of human experience have maybe shown that sex in a committed relationship isn't destructive, while outside of that, it certainly can be.

Maybe in the next life I get to ask someone to explain this to me. :sarcastic

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
To be fair Aqualung, you responded :
That statement doesn't specify religious morality; the way you wrote that makes it sound like a general statement.

I can understand the Religious perspective, but the person who asked you why was an atheist; as such, what You believe (and I) to be religious morals would not apply to Sunstone.

Out of interest, taking away the religious 'part' do you believe that polygamous relationships are immoral, and why?

A general unsolicted note to everyone, pointed at no one in particular:

Very true, and not like anyone asked me, but I think it does us all good to assume that when someone writes something like that, without the usual qualifiers, maybe they were just in a hurry or tired or whatever, or maybe they're a slow typist, so please just mentally stick the qualifiers in there yourself, or at least ask before assuming it was meant to apply to everyone.

It keeps peace on the boards and everyone's blood pressure down. It's a rare thing when people really mean to apply things universally like that, and the few who do so, it's pretty easy to figure them out reading a couple of weeks of posting.

If you haven't gotten this laid back online yet, well gosh, it only took me 15 years (and some coaching) to figure this out. :eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
jewscout said:
IMPO threesomes are a slippery slope into a HUGE disaster

Just curious, but do you include legally and socially sanctioned polygamous relationships in this as well?