• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Threesomes?

Flappycat

Aqualung said:
Regardless, THAT'S not the reason I would [n]ever be involved in a threesome. The one reason is because it is against God's law. That's right. The ONLY reason.
It doesn't matter. This is something that has universal relevance. It's more important, particularly in this case, to understand the realities of "big love." If you have religious views, state them as your own, and hold your peace.

Besides, saying "God says so" is disrespectful to people who hold different beliefs about what "God says" when it takes a maximum of five seconds to type "in my reading of Jacob" or "in the views of my church." What you may call 'politically correct' is what I call clear and simple tact.

[vent]Oh, and, since I'm thinking about it, I've got a serious bone to pick with people who cry "PC" whenever someone calls them out for being completely and universally tactless, and I'm going to start bloodying noses over this one of these days.[/vent]

Aqualung

Tasty
Flappycat said:
It doesn't matter. This is something that has universal relevance.
No it isn't. Sunstone asked my reasons, not universal reasons.

If you have religious views, state them as your own, and hold your peace.
Uh... I did. Sunstone asked ME what MY reasons were, and I answered him with MY reasons. I never said they were anybody else's reasons. You are really being weird.

Flappycat

Aqualung said:

Uh... I did. Sunstone asked ME what MY reasons were, and I answered him with MY reasons. I never said they were anybody else's reasons. You are really being weird.
I don't even know anymore. I'm annoyed over certain subjects anymore. It's one of the reasons I don't post here as often as I used to.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
One person plus the two lovely Hand Sisters works--as long as the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and to whom. :)

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
I'm all for threesomes, foursomes, whateversomes. I wouldn't however be involved in anything emotional, I have a hard enough time giving my heart to one person, let alone more. The idea of being in a sexual threesome however always gets me hot around the collar, and other areas. As long as all parties are consenting adults it is fine by me, it is also important to know each others bounderies as well, so all parties know how far to go, and to avoid confusion. (A 2 man 1 woman threesome may get confusing if one man is bi and doesn't know the other isn't.....)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Orleander said:
Didn't Abraham have more than 1 wife? I thought he was one of God's favorites.

Abraham had children by 3 women. Sarah, Hagar and Keturah.

Sarah and Hagar people have generally heard of. Keturah had 6 sons that later formed the tribes of the Medeans. Some of those tribes later settled in Persia, others stayed a little closer to home.

And I have no idea if there were any threesomes going on in that crowd. ;)

standing_on_one_foot

Booko said:
Abraham had children by 3 women. Sarah, Hagar and Keturah.

Sarah and Hagar people have generally heard of. Keturah had 6 sons that later formed the tribes of the Medeans. Some of those tribes later settled in Persia, others stayed a little closer to home.

And I have no idea if there were any threesomes going on in that crowd. ;)

Well now...why do you think the OT only prohibits sex between men? ;)

Hmm. I'm not a big fan of sex just for the sake of itself, but I don't think it's particularly immoral for someone who's comfortable with that. I don't think it's great, since I think that there needs to be more to a relationship than sex, but if it's not my relationship then it's not my business. The number of people doesn't bother me (not my thing, but that wasn't the question), so long as it's consensual all round.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:

To be fair Aqualung, you responded :
I think they are immoral, because I believe that a man should only have one wife, and should definitely not be sleeping with somebody who isn't his wife anyway.
That statement doesn't specify religious morality; the way you wrote that makes it sound like a general statement.

I can understand the Religious perspective, but the person who asked you why was an atheist; as such, what You believe (and I) to be religious morals would not apply to Sunstone.

Out of interest, taking away the religious 'part' do you believe that polygamous relationships are immoral, and why?

A

angellous_evangellous

Flappycat said:
Well, I tend to think that a REAL threesome is more likely to occur under unintended circumstances. The sort of people who could maintain a healthy threesome, I think, would also be intelligent enough to understand why they shouldn't pursue one, but crap happens, even to the best of us.

Very well said.

Aqualung said:
God said so.

It's the "just do it" principle especially apparant in Deuteronomy.

Can you elaborate on this? I've read through Deuteronomy before and don't recall a prohibition on polygamy. Actually, one of the interesting things about Christianity historically, to me, is that monogamy, apparently from the LDS Church for a short period of time, has rejected polyagamy pretty consistantly, even though it's nowhere explicitly stated in the bible that it's wrong. This is especially curious considering all the "sola scripture" (scripture alone) sects out there. How would an evangelical Protestant, for exmaple, feel justified in saying polygamy is wrong if the bible doesn't state it? I've always wondered about that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Fish and Bread said:
Can you elaborate on this? I've read through Deuteronomy before and don't recall a prohibition on polygamy. Actually, one of the interesting things about Christianity historically, to me, is that monogamy, apparently from the LDS Church for a short period of time, has rejected polyagamy pretty consistantly, even though it's nowhere explicitly stated in the bible that it's wrong. This is especially curious considering all the "sola scripture" (scripture alone) sects out there. How would an evangelical Protestant, for exmaple, feel justified in saying polygamy is wrong if the bible doesn't state it? I've always wondered about that.

It's my hunch that a lot of us simply feel strongly that our culturally determined sense of right and wrong, appropriate and inappropriate ways of living, must somehow be sanctified by our deity. That is, we casually assume anything we feel so strongly about is surely given moral sanction by the Bible.

In light of this, it's interesting that when Congress in the 1800s prohibited polygamy in the territories, it specified "in the territories" because there was a bit of legal polygamy going on at the time in some of the Northeastern states. Congress feared to prohibit that for political reasons: Some of the polygamists were politically powerful. Society and culture change and with them what we assume is Biblically sanctioned behavior.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Flappycat said:
The sort of people who could maintain a healthy threesome, I think, would also be intelligent enough to understand why they shouldn't pursue one
I missed this until AE commented on it. What do you mean by this? Why "shouldn't" they be in a polyamorous relationship? And why do you think it takes intelligence to keep a relationship healthy? I know people that aren't exactly the brightest crayong in the box, but they have a wonderful relationship together. Similarly I know intelligent people that are miserable in a relationship for one reason or another.

Aqualung

Tasty
Michel said:
That statement doesn't specify religious morality; the way you wrote that makes it sound like a general statement.
I guess general statements start with "I believe"? In a different thread, you bash me because I stated my opinions without saying they were my opinions. In this one, you bash me for stating my opinions, saying they sound "general" when I start them with "I believe". What exaclty do you want from me?

Michel said:
the person who asked you why was an atheist; as such, what You believe (and I) to be religious morals would not apply to Sunstone.
If he didn't want my beliefs, he should have started the thread with "Atheists only" or "everybody but Aqualung."

Fish and Bread said:
Can you elaborate on this?
I think I did. Let me try to dig up the quote. I'll edit this post once I find what I said about it.

Okay, here's what I posted about my reasons:
Let's see... God made one Adam and one Eve...
Jacob 2:27 says not any man... have save it be one wife
Official Declaration One ended plural marriages.
&c.
Therefore, no man shall marry more than one woman, and no woman shall marry more than one man.

As to sleeping with people outside of marriage...
A man shall cleave unto his wife (not unto other women).
Articles of Faith says we believe in being chaste.
Fornicators will not inheret the kingdom of God.
To avoid fornication, every man should have his own wife.
&c.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Jensa said:
The same can be said of relationships in general :)

granted, but you are talking about a higher risk situation IMPO.
but then that's just the way i see it...i think the idea of having a constant love triangle going on is dangerous to all participants.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think a threesome that involves more than just the sexual gratification would require a set of conditions that are fairly rare. But given that there are some 6.5 billion of us on Earth at the moment, I suppose the odds of this set of conditions occurring may be higher than we think.

I suspect a real "threesome" relationship would be difficult to maintain, but could be a wonderful experience for those who did manage it. And no, I see nothing immoral about it at all. In fact, just the opposite. I suspect that to maintain such a relationship would require extra attention and care from and to each of the participants.