1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Thoughts on Inherited religion.

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Neuropteron, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Neuropteron

Neuropteron Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    Religion:
    Christian
    What are your thoughts on automatically adopting the religion of our parents?

Should our religion be determined by a geographical accident of our place of birth ?

Is it reasonable to assume that God gave a different set of instructions to those living in Germany than those living in India, Arabia or Japan?

Should we unquestionably accept a religion because it was inculcated to us from our parents and from our society from birth ?

The words of Roger Shinn makes me think that perhaps it is God's will that there should be only one religion that is acceptable to him, just as there is one truth.
    (R.S professor of ethics).
    "Religious wars tend to be extra furious. [secular] wars tend to reach a point of compromise, when the war is religious ... conciliation seems to be evil."

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,228
    Religion:
    Hindu
    I think it often is the case, that a person adopts the religion of their parents, or feels great pressure to at the very least.

I don't think its always appropriate. If you don't believe something, you can't necessarily force yourself to. It seems outwardly pretending to believe something or adopting practices you don't agree with often causes a lot of psychological damage for a person.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +930
    I think there’s a universal truth for all irregardless of the religion they were raised with. I also think many people look to reality regarding spirituality.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,355
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    We get our identity, personal and social, from our parents. They teach us our language, ideas, stories, heroes, they teach us about the world, and often enough in there are our basic ideas about gods.

So I don't think "adopting" comes into it until we're old enough to make informed choices and concerned enough to wonder about religious choices, if we ever are.
    Until humans change, which will be no time soon, there'll be no alternative to "accidents of birth". Even should we rebel against religion, it will be the religion we know by "accident of birth".
    No. But then, in the Christian story, God didn't. Paul says he got his instructions in a vision, and they were to proselytize among the pagans. What God intended for the people of east Asia, the Americas, southern Africa, Australia, the world's islands, is, as far as I know, altogether unclear and has been addressed pragmatically.
    I'd say that by and large we do no wrong if we don't, we do no wrong if we do.
    Perhaps you could get the ball rolling by stating clearly that "one truth" along with the evidence that it's indeed the "one truth".

#4 blü 2, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Left Coast

Left Coast Circular File Complaint Analyst

Ratings:
    +9,849
    Religion:
    Dharmic Dabbler
    For anyone who believes in a typical monotheistic God who has somehow intervened in history out of a desire for everyone to share the same set of beliefs about her, I think the predictability of religious attitudes based on geography and family upbringing presents a pretty obvious challenge to their ideas. The distribution of religious ideas across the world looks exactly the way we'd expect it to look if there had never been any divine intervention in the process.

As far as our personal responsibility goes, I think we can only utilize the information we have been given. If everyone around you for your entire life have all held the same set of beliefs and values, I think it's pretty reasonable that you'd adopt those same beliefs and values. It takes a rather unique and brave person to break out of that mold and challenge the status quo. Especially when you've been told the status quo is not just the opinions of other fallible people, but is the capital T Truth from the Creator of the universe.

For most of us living in the developed world today, we have a uniquely privileged position in history of having access to a mind-boggling amount of information. With a few strokes on a keyboard I can read virtually any perspective that's out there. So I have a much larger worldview menu on offer, so to speak, as well as the benefit of living in a society where my identification (or lack thereof) with any particular religious perspective won't get me in trouble with the law. So I think for most of us, the standard of what's reasonable to believe is a little higher than it might be for other places or times, because we have so much more information available to us if we care to look.

But regardless, it takes great courage and critical thinking to come out of many religions even today, particularly those who are more fundamentalistic and may even actively shun people who dare to leave or to challenge the orthodoxy of their group. And I frankly don't blame anyone who remains in a religion (at least outwardly) if they have reason to fear for their safety or security if they left.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Truthseeker9

Truthseeker9 Active Member

Ratings:
    +564
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    It should not happen.
    No.
    In a sense that's right. Spiritual laws don't change, but material laws change according to time and place.
    Not me, and there's no need for war over religion.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +28,291
    Religion:
    Love
    There are people who superficially accept the religion of their parents and are satisfied with it.

As a believer that the Avatar (Christ) has come throughout history in various places and in various guises, what you asked is what I believe.

There are vast differences in theology and practices among the world's religions, but when I've studied them I've found they are as branches of the same tree with a common 'root'.

8. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +11,467
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    What are your thoughts on automatically adopting the religion of our parents?: That is what is normally done if the parents are not irreligious.
    Should our religion be determined by a geographical accident of our place of birth?: An adult in secular countries can always change religion.
    Is it reasonable to assume that God gave a different set of instructions to those living in Germany than those living in India, Arabia or Japan?: Is there a God to give instructions?
    Should we unquestionably accept a religion because it was inculcated to us from our parents and from our society from birth?: Depends on the person. Some would question, most will find excuses for their belief.
    The words of Roger Shinn makes me think that perhaps it is God's will that there should be only one religion that is acceptable to him, just as there is one truth.: You are welcome to your view, and it applies only to those who agree to it. Also to you and Roger Shinn.
    "Religious wars tend to be extra furious. Secular wars tend to reach a point of compromise, when the war is religious ... conciliation seems to be evil.": True in case of Abrahamic religions. In Dharmic religions there will be debates but no wars.

9. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,570
    Religion:
    none
    A reasonable method to prevent people to choose a religion just because one happens to be "born into" would be to not indoctrinate children. From an age not earlier than 10 years they could get informations about the different religions and denominations and choose the religion that fits them at the age were they can legally do so (about 14 on average iirc).
    If that was so, god isn't doing a very good job and its ground staff is even worse. There is virtually no effort to unite churches, denominations, religions. Every now and then a well meaning but not too bright person comes along and preaches how nice it were if people would get along and then creates a religion that should unite different fractions with ideas from many others. The effect, of course, is just another new fraction.
    Religion is divisive by nature and the religious know it and I see no intention in them to change that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,533
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    The fact that belief is so contingent on place and time is what we should expect if either

1) there is no God
    2) She does not care what we believe
    3) She is a very poor communicator

ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,013
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    I did follow the religion my father and mother had for the first 15 years of my life, then i started to look in to other religions :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Silent Generation - so don't expect much
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Religion:
    Fellowship of the Mutable (agnostic atheist)
    For me it would be intellectual dishonesty if I was to accept such beliefs without doing enough checking to ascertain their validity, but I can understand why so many do this. If I hadn't bothered about such beliefs (not having much pressure from my parents anyway), or not been curious enough to want to know more, then I might not have been so suspicious as to all the various religious beliefs existing - but I did, and which just led me away from religions rather than towards any of them. Natural explanations seem to account for why there are so many different religions, and their locations, rather than anything else.

13. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,400
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It's basic human psychology.
    Your parents are your perceived authorities and experts on literally everything. Your hero's. Your everything.

You believe and obey them blindly, at least until a certain age.
    And by the time you reach that age, you've been completely indoctrinated / brainwashed into whatever beliefs they imposed on you.

This is why the saying "get them while they are young", is a thing.

• Like Like x 3
  14. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium अहं ब्रह्मास्मि

Ratings:
    +22,591
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Children born without a worldview will likely adopt the worldview of their parents in the short term. This includes behaviors, morals, principles, philosophies, and religion. However, a child should be free explore and adopt other religious views if the religion they were born into doesn't align with theirs as the begin to form their own.

Of course not.

It's not reasonable to assume God gave us any instructions.

I think I answered that in my response to the first question.

However, many parents, in my experience, have expectations of their child, however unreasonable, to be like them and to carry on tradition. Often this includes religion.

They make me think that perhaps people need to be more tolerant of the religious views of others.

#14 SalixIncendium, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  15. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,914
    Religion:
    None
    No, but what choice do we have in our earliest years, before critical thinking skills are developed? If one is born into a religious home, he will generally be indoctrinated into that religion. Some will develop the tools to make an informed decision about religion, and if indicated, tunnel out. The rest remain behind.

The 'no' answer reflects a respect for critical thought, which is often accompanied by a complete rejection of its antithesis, faith-based thought. One of the fundamental tenets of critical thought is skepticism. That's where it all begins - in the willingness, and later the self-imposed requirement, to question received wisdom. I define critical thinking as the ability to evaluate evidence properly and using valid logic, arriving at sound conclusions. Critical thought doesn't occur without skepticism, without which, one becomes only what others want him to be.

Open-mindedness is the willingness and ability to apply critical thought to an argument and be convinced by it if the argument is compelling. These are acquired habits and skills, and not by everybody.

So, no, one shouldn't unquestioningly accept anything. One should question received wisdom and subject it to critical analysis instead. If it passes that test, it was probably good advice. If it doesn't, modify or discard the belief such that one's belief set only contains ideas that have been confirmed to be accurate.

The church understands this. Somebody already referred to the idea that if they can have access to a child until the age of seven, they can shape him. It's the basis for the frustration of the church in not being able to get into public schools to indoctrinate the children not being indoctrinated at home or in a Sunday school.

Moreover, the denominations most in conflict with science and a university education such as creationist sects, tend to discourage young people from attending university for obvious reasons. Once educated, such people become less likely to unquestioningly accept the received teachings of their elders.

#15 It Aint Necessarily So, Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,808
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I think it's much like adopting the parents' optometrist (perhaps because I view religion as a lens).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium अहं ब्रह्मास्मि

Ratings:
    +22,591
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Interesting analogy. However, I see religion as the optometrist and Judaism as the lens. Not everyone has the same vision and some may require a different lens. I was born with Catholic lenses, but I see much more clearly with Hindu lenses.

18. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,972
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    Yes, until there are no longer children and parents. When the parent-child connection is gone then no.

It is obvious that God does not pursue ignorant people to inform them. Arrogant people thinking they are right are not corrected, either. People also lie to ourselves. God will allow a person to linger in ignorance, self deception, good intentions, politely, fearfully, in oppression, underwater, toiling pointlessly. The evidence is abundant.

It is up to us to be merciful and nonjudgmental towards other people. God is the same.

'Religious wars' are generally not caused by religion but manipulate religious people. They are religious wars, yes. I'm not denying that religion is involved, but its generally about land or spice or money or power or anger about past wars such that having one religion won't stop war.

Consider the beginning of Islam. How long did it take for infighting to divide it? It divided almost immediately did it not? Having one religion is I think not any way of stopping religious wars. It is an empty pursuit: an illusion, a carrot to drive a horse.

19. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +15,257
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I see religion as more of a foster child than adopted. There might be a membership, but it can come and go like a revolving door.

20. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +11,467
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Eye sight changes with age? You need better lenses.:)
    I have heard that God hardens the heart of some people and makes them blind to his glory for no reason! Why should you call people ignorant or arrogant? It is God's doing.

#20 Aupmanyav, Jun 18, 2021