• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This oughta be a good one--:-)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Free, public debates are a necessary element of keeping public intellect sharp and stimulated. This seems to me a good and healthy initiative.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
As a field of study, I think theology should be restricted to the historical.

As a matter of modern life, I think theology is a self-defensive attempt to distract people from the massive inherent flaws in most (all?), the major religions.

Lipstick on a pig :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think Atheists should also be included
Surprisingly, I'm not so sure. Atheist thought is so very different from theist thinking that I think it would be jarring. Rather like trying to hold a summit on whether peach pie is tastier than blueberry.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Free, public debates are a necessary element of keeping public intellect sharp and stimulated. This seems to me a good and healthy initiative.
But a sharp, stimulated public threatens the social hierarchy. Throughout history the upper classes have striven to keep the masses in the dark and unaware of the sources of their poverty.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think Atheists should also be included
I can't see why this topic would benefit from an atheist perspective. It's a theology discussion on the bible verse about Peter being the rock on which Christ would build his church. What would an atheist perspective bring to that subject?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
But a sharp, stimulated public threatens the social hierarchy. Throughout history the upper classes have striven to keep the masses in the dark and unaware of the sources of their poverty.
How about religious differences? Agreed to keep public (masses) in the dark for a long time -- even now -- so these different divisions among those who claim to believe in Christ, well, let's see how they settle it. :) I guess in some people's minds it's no big deal.

YoursTrue

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that.:shrug:
Well, it could be interesting because,:
"On November 22, the Vatican will host a debate in St. Peter's Basilica between a Catholic, a Protestant and an Orthodox theologian on the primacy of Peter, that is, on the primacy of the Bishop of Rome over all Christian confessions."
Again, if there is a conclusion as to the "primacy of Peter," or the primacy of the Bishop of Rome, well, we'll see if and how they agree or disagree.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I can't see why this topic would benefit from an atheist perspective. It's a theology discussion on the bible verse about Peter being the rock on which Christ would build his church. What would an atheist perspective bring to that subject?
Reality

Altfish

Veteran Member
That's stupid. The debate is about the theological meaning of a bible passage. If someone thinks they are contributing by saying "it's all a load of old codswallop", that is hijacking the debate onto another topic, viz. whether or not there is any truth in Christianity, or in religions more generally.
It was meant to be a stupid/funny response.
Chill out

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It would have to be a very specific atheist. An atheistic biblical scholar could have some meaningful contribution. But the average atheist off the street such as any of us here probably would not have much to add to the conversation.

YoursTrue

Insofar as I see this little debate, one person could say, "It's me, I'm the rock..." and another could say, "No, it's me..." and so forth. I guess. :)