• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This certainly puts an end to the watchmaker argument.

Milton Platt

If you find an insect in the woods with functional gears.....

Creature with Interlocking Gears on Legs Discovered

This was actually discovered a while back, but I never came across this myself until now.

Creationists can put the watchmaker issue to rest now. It's no longer useful anymore from a creationist viewpoint in vain attempts to invalidate evolution.

It's completely valid however from an evolutionary standpoint that gears can form naturally on their own, and be functional which definitively voids any notion of a God or deity as being responsible whatsoever given the fact that you actually can walk into the woods and see actual functioning gears.

It would be interesting in viewing the cladistics of this particular insect.

The watchmaker argument has been dead for hundreds of years.....someone just keeps dragging it out of the grave again.....

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The watchmaker argument has been dead for hundreds of years.....someone just keeps dragging it out of the grave again.....
That's pretty much true of every creationist argument. How many times have we "defeated" the following only to see the creationists wait a bit and just repeat them as if nothing had happened?

It's only a theory.

There's no proof.

There are no transitional fossils.

Piltdown Man!!!!

Evolution can't increase genetic information.

Mutations only destroy.

Evolution can't increase complexity.

That's adaptation not evolution.

What about the coelacanth?

Darwin was a racist.

Hitler was a Darwinist.

Evolutionists can't say how life began, so evolution is just faith.

Scientists are abandoning evolution.

Look at what this scientist admitted <insert quote mine>.

Houses need a builder, paintings need a painter, so since life is obviously designed there must be a designer.​

And as long as there are internet creationists, we'll never stop seeing these zombie talking points.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I never understood why some people see evolution as incompatible with God.

A simplistic approach to Christianity relies on the Garden of Eden myth along with the Fall of Adam. An excuse must be found for our supposed need of salvation. No Adam and Eve, no fall, no need for salvation and Jesus's "sacrifice" was unneeded. Though the immorality of the crucifixion becomes obvious to anyone that takes a serious look at it anyway.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
'Evolution', physics, chemistry, geology, meteorology, &c don't disprove God, they just render Him unnecessary -- and there's the objection. All the magic and awe that underlay religious belief in the past is being obviated by modern science.

Watchmaker theory is an argument from ignorance and a false dichotomy.
Before the mechanisms of evolution were described it might have made some sense, but today the religious can only bolster their faith by trying to disparage science and poke holes in anything supporting evolution, round Earth, or any other inconvenient theory. They generally do a poor job of this because they really don't understand the theories.

Sure. I mean, I'm an atheist. It would be strange indeed if I thought evolution pointed towards the existence of God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's pretty much true of every creationist argument. How many times have we "defeated" the following only to see the creationists wait a bit and just repeat them as if nothing had happened?

It's only a theory.

There's no proof.

There are no transitional fossils.

Piltdown Man!!!!

Evolution can't increase genetic information.

Mutations only destroy.

Evolution can't increase complexity.

That's adaptation not evolution.

What about the coelacanth?

Darwin was a racist.

Hitler was a Darwinist.

Evolutionists can't say how life began, so evolution is just faith.

Scientists are abandoning evolution.

Look at what this scientist admitted <insert quote mine>.

Houses need a builder, paintings need a painter, so since life is obviously designed there must be a designer.​

And as long as there are internet creationists, we'll never stop seeing these zombie talking points.
... which is bizarre to me considering how important religion tends to be for religious people.

I know I'd need much more than "you can't prove it's not true" to justify a set of beliefs if I was going to build my entire life around them.

Milton Platt

The watchmaker argument was never debatable because it was never coherant. The illustration is about a watch, which they argue is irreducibly complex in contrast to a backdrop of grass and trees which makes the watch stand out. But the grass and trees are also argued to be irreducibly complex by creationists. So why and what differentiates the clock from the forest?

But really the watchmaker argument falls apart due to strong reliance on (tagging @Sunstone for posterity) an argument from incredulity. It seems like things in our universe are too complex to have arisen naturally so they must have been made unnaturally. Which is a very vague argument which doesnt give any barriers to the process, just supposes one exists somewhere. Further, complex things rise from simplicity literally all the time.
View attachment 26105

But wait.....there's more!!!

We know the watch is not a natural phenomenon because it contrasts to everything around it....the natural world, which is the very thing a creationist is trying to say was created. If the watch and everything around it seemed created, you would not pick it out over a rock, a flower, or a sunset. The watch would not stand out.

What non-designed thing are we to compare the watch to?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There's the fascinating field of
Chronobiology Where the timepiece in question can take on an even more fascinating form.

gnostic

The Lost One
The Watchmaker assumption have been used by both creationists and ID followers, is just analogy...and it is unrealistic and faulty analogy at that.

That people, today, would even reuse this flaw-ridden analogy, just show how desperate they are, to make creationism and ID relevant.

Only the naïve and fools would fall for such ploys or tactics, in this day and age.

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
There's the fascinating field of
Chronobiology Where the timepiece in question can take on an even more fascinating form.

Are we going there already? OK

812b4OhNniL._UY445_.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If you find an insect in the woods with functional gears.....

Creature with Interlocking Gears on Legs Discovered

This was actually discovered a while back, but I never came across this myself until now.

Creationists can put the watchmaker issue to rest now. It's no longer useful anymore from a creationist viewpoint in vain attempts to invalidate evolution.

It's completely valid however from an evolutionary standpoint that gears can form naturally on their own, and be functional which definitively voids any notion of a God or deity as being responsible whatsoever given the fact that you actually can walk into the woods and see actual functioning gears.

It would be interesting in viewing the cladistics of this particular insect.
Darwin is a Christian, so I don't see why the 'Atheists' think they defeated the Watchmaker argument.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Actually he started as a Christian and ended as an agnostic. And even if he was a Christian your argument fails.
What argument? I objected to a false claim. I think there's no better Christian than one who is agnostic about a physical creator.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What argument? I objected to a false claim. I think there's no better Christian than one who is agnostic about a physical creator.

Your post implied that atheists had not refuted the Watchmaker argument. That was of course wrong. And to support that belief you used an incorrect non sequitur.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But wait.....there's more!!!

We know the watch is not a natural phenomenon because it contrasts to everything around it....the natural world, which is the very thing a creationist is trying to say was created. If the watch and everything around it seemed created, you would not pick it out over a rock, a flower, or a sunset. The watch would not stand out.

What non-designed thing are we to compare the watch to?
Creationists would argue that a watch could easily be designed to look like a flower -- and that a flower looks designed anyway.
I think it's mostly because creationists don't understand the mechanisms of evolution that they see a parallel with manufactured items.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Your post implied that atheists had not refuted the Watchmaker argument. That was of course wrong. And to support that belief you used an incorrect non sequitur.
My post implies only that theists refute the Watchmaker argument. Charles Darwin is an example of that, regardless of how much Nowhere Man tries to claim that only atheists have done so.