• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things That Aren't Illegal But Should Be

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There should be a law against people who walk into a room and stop in the doorway, preventing anyone else from entering. This is always happening at choir practice.:mad:

The last time someone did this, I asked them if they wanted to take over the job of the door and have a key stuck in them at night.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Putting Christmas decorations up in September

Supermarkets selling easter eggs as soon as Christmas is over

Seriously! The same with any holiday, really!

By the time the holiday gets close, you can't find what you need for it, because they've sold it all out and moved on to the next one!

exchemist

Veteran Member
I didn't, either! Learn something new every day...

I'm sure Charlotte will have a whole stack of birthday cards..

She's a brave woman. I'd be afraid to see my teenage diary... luckily, I burned all my old diaries, so I don't have to risk it.
Maybe it's just an English joke but tacking on "already" is thought of as a very Jewish idiom. It may come from Central Europe - I've never looked into it.

Charlotte only reads out selected bits, of course. But she seems very relaxed and unselfconscious about reading out the musings of her teenage self. Apparently there is a lot about boys.......hem hem. Curiously, she says she was not attractive as a child, so the boys weren't very keen on her. I expect she went through an ugly duckling phase in her teens, as so many people do. She has quite a long nose so, if that grew before the rest of her face, she might have looked a bit weird for a while. But the diary stuff is rather nice. She grew up on a farm and used to catch the bus to go into Durham for shopping. Very different from my childhood, going to school on the Underground. Hers seems to have been a happy childhood. But I'm way off-topic.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Pokiness ought to be illegal. If it takes 2 hours to do something that takes ordinary people 10 minutes, you go to jail.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe it's just an English joke but tacking on "already" is thought of as a very Jewish idiom. It may come from Central Europe - I've never looked into it.

Charlotte only reads out selected bits, of course. But she seems very relaxed and unselfconscious about reading out the musings of her teenage self. Apparently there is a lot about boys.......hem hem. Curiously, she says she was not attractive as a child, so the boys weren't very keen on her. I expect she went through an ugly duckling phase in her teens, as so many people do. She has quite a long nose so, if that grew before the rest of her face, she might have looked a bit weird for a while. But the diary stuff is rather nice. She grew up on a farm and used to catch the bus to go into Durham for shopping. Very different from my childhood, going to school on the Underground. Hers seems to have been a happy childhood. But I'm way off-topic.

Didn't know that on the already...

My husband used to poke at me because Midwesterners say "go with". He thinks it sounds funny. (As in "Hey, I want to go with".)

Those ugly duckling stages aren't fun... That was middle school for me. One boy used to hound me about being ugly, and once gave me the award of being 'ugliest girl in the world'. We went on to different high schools.

Then we met again, in a group of mutual friends. A year or two had gone by, and he didn't recognize me. I avoided him, until someone formally introduced us. He looked ill for a moment upon hearing my name and said "you're that girl!?" I braced and waited for the usual insults. Instead, I got a quiet "I'm sorry for everything I ever said to you!" We ended up at the same school the next year, and it was nothing but compliments and smiles from then on out.

I'm glad Charlotte had a good childhood. It makes such a difference. :)

Pokiness ought to be illegal. If it takes 2 hours to do something that takes ordinary people 10 minutes, you go to jail.

Then all contractors would go out of business.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Its not illegal to pick all the good stuff off of one's food and leave the next turd with the 'understuff'.

But it should be, damn it.

What do you think should be written into law?
There should be a law against men trying to scam women on internet dating sites.
Unfortunately there is no such law. The only way to prosecute an offender is if you actually give him money.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There should be a law against men trying to scam women on internet dating sites.
Unfortunately there is no such law. The only way to prosecute an offender is if you actually give him money.

That works both ways, women trying to scam men is also a thing.. my brother in law has pulled away from and reported 2 such scams

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

That works both ways, women trying to scam men is also a thing.. my brother in law has pulled away from and reported 2 such scams

We'll just settle on people trying to scam people out of money on dating sites...

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Overtaking someone pulling in front then slowing down.

Doing less then the speed limit on single lane roads then speeding up when they get to a spot with an overtaking lane.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Putting the toilet paper on the room the opposite side of the toilet.

C'mon, man!

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Containers specifically designed to hold bread. They don't help at all. The bread still gets moldy. If you have bread and want to make it last, just put it in the fridge.

Muting audio on Twitch and YouTube past livestreams because copyright music is being played. Nobody is watching the video just for the music. Stop it.

TV channels that have no original content on them. I don't need to watch the millionth replay of I Love Lucy or Gilligan's Island. We already have streaming apps for that kind of content.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Didn't know that on the already...

My husband used to poke at me because Midwesterners say "go with". He thinks it sounds funny. (As in "Hey, I want to go with".)

Those ugly duckling stages aren't fun... That was middle school for me. One boy used to hound me about being ugly, and once gave me the award of being 'ugliest girl in the world'. We went on to different high schools.

Then we met again, in a group of mutual friends. A year or two had gone by, and he didn't recognize me. I avoided him, until someone formally introduced us. He looked ill for a moment upon hearing my name and said "you're that girl!?" I braced and waited for the usual insults. Instead, I got a quiet "I'm sorry for everything I ever said to you!" We ended up at the same school the next year, and it was nothing but compliments and smiles from then on out.

I'm glad Charlotte had a good childhood. It makes such a difference. :)

Then all contractors would go out of business.
So you became a swan too, then. That’s a nice story, especially that he was man enough to apologise and make it up to you.

Anyway, by popular demand, Charlotte has promised some more about her childhood, on the farm in rural County Durham, which I’ll look forward to.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
So you became a swan too, then. That’s a nice story, especially that he was man enough to apologise and make it up to you.

Anyway, by popular demand, Charlotte has promised some more about her childhood, on the farm in rural County Durham, which I’ll look forward to.

I hope you enjoy her upcoming stories! :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Your stomach rumbles.

Its late, and you're not feeling up to preparing a large meal. But, you remember, there's some leftover casserole(or other baked dish) in the fridge. You decide you'll reheat a bit of that. You open the fridge door, and as the light illuminates your face you see...

Some *** has picked all the topping off of it.

You know, the crispy stuff. The stuff where all the flavor is. Whether its cheese, bread crumbs, or tomatoes roasted to perfection, we all know that's the good stuff.

You instincts tell you to call the police, to alert someone of this tragedy. But, there's no point.

Its not illegal to pick all the good stuff off of one's food and leave the next turd with the 'understuff'.

But it should be, damn it.

What do you think should be written into law?

(Please note this thread is in the jokes forum!)
Loud clothing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That reminds me: people who stand on the left on the escalators on the Underground, so that you can't get past them.

(For those that don't know London, a lot of people, including me, always walk up and down the escalators, rather than just standing still. But plenty of people stand. If one stands, one is supposed to do so on the right: there are prominent signs explaining this. But there's always one...............:rolleyes:)
Left on the roads, but right on an escalator? Isn't life complicated enough?