• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They found Richard the third under a parking lot!

Freedomelf

It's been on the news all day; Richard the third's bones were found under a parking lot. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/world/europe/richard-the-third-bones.html?_r=0

The town of Leicester wants to build a visitor center and house his bones near the cathedral there. Others say he should be buried with other kings in Westminster Abbey.

I wonder if the two sides will fight about this. Some also believe that they will be able to vindicate Richard's terrible reputation. It should be interesting to historical buffs, like me. :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
LONG LIVE THE KI- oh, wait. :run:
sorry, I couldn't help it

Current events would probably be a better section. Want me to move it?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I've been following this for a while now, I'm doing my MA with Leicester's archaeology department which lead this successful quest for identifying Richard III. DNA identification of a person who was killed over 500 years ago is pretty exciting. Now lets see if they can find the burial place of King Alfred! confirming a skeleton which is over a thousand years old is much trickier!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Yeah I heard about this. Big discovery. Should be fun to watch what we learn from this

Alceste

Vagabond
I heard about this on the CBC - great interview with one of the researchers. They apparently used mitochondrial DNA from the teeth and (in part) verified his identity with the help of the last surviving maternal descendants. (In Canada, woot).

Freedomelf

I've been following this for a while now, I'm doing my MA with Leicester's archaeology department which lead this successful quest for identifying Richard III. DNA identification of a person who was killed over 500 years ago is pretty exciting. Now lets see if they can find the burial place of King Alfred! confirming a skeleton which is over a thousand years old is much trickier!

Oh, I would love that! These things are so exciting, at least to me! (Okay, I have no life, lol.)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
York has a better claim to him as they were his people.
He had a much better claim to the throne than Henry, who's claim was tenuous indeed.
Henry had far greater reason to Kill the princes in the tower as their claim to the throne totally demolished his. while they were no threat to Richards claim at all.

It was a case of the winner writing the history.