• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These 5 inmates will be executed after Attorney General William Barr told the federal government to

Do you support or oppose federal government's plans to resume capital punishment after a nearly two-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
1) murdered his family.

2) killed a woman and her granddaughter.

3) murdered a teenager , and an elderly woman.

4) beat his two and a half year old daughter to death.

5) running a methamphetamine operation, subsequently killed five people execution-style.

I don't think anybody's going to be shedding tears for these people.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
The death penalty is unfortunate and I am sorry we have it but some people are just no damn good and we just don't need them around and then there is justice and the death penalty does serve as an act of justice. As long as there is no shadow of doubt, then let justice be done.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I remain implacably opposed to the death penalty. We are simply not wise enough, and we are certainly not infallible. There are many, many who have been convicted of crimes that might incur that penalty, who have later been exonerated. What if that exoneration came "too late," we'd just shrug and say, "oh, well, **** happens?!"

Ellen Brown

I fully expected to see that it was all people of color, and it isn't. I'm convinced that folk of Color often can not get justice. I'm normally opposed to the Death Penalty, but these guys must have defective Amigdalas. When there is no hope of rehabilitation, what then? Should they spend the rest of their lives in an institution and drugged to senselessness? No good answer coming from me.

Daemon Sophic

While I would not argue that the crimes warrant a fearful, cold, painful, and lonely death for the guilty......that is not the problem.

The problem is being sure that you have the right criminal. And that is exactly where our court system has failed so many many times over the years. It is the slim possibility that an innocent person is put to death for a crime that they did NOT commit, that life in prison with ZERO chance of parole is the much better option for convicted slime who do these things.

@Nowhere Man ’s post above is the perfect example. Yeah, those are horrible crimes, but instead of plastering up the crime, how about the utterly incontrovertible proof of their guilt?

There is one other problem here, which is the fact that Barr is not just opening the death penalty for these five persons; but rather he is forevermore opening the death penalty as an option, so that our fine and completely unerring government can put any “criminal” to death when it feels it is warranted. :confused::(

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not in principle opposed to the death penalty either but share the concern about the wrong people being put to death. There needs to be a higher standard of proof for the death penalty.

My reason for not being opposed to the death penalty in theory is religious - my belief in karma. Those guilty of heinous crimes have built up serious negative karma and it's probably better for them to start balancing that in this lifetime.

MonkeyFire

Even though they're wrong and evil I would never resort to violence as safety comes from within. If I had to protect my family with a weapon from immediate danger II would, but I would allow it to un-violent.

Milton Platt

1) murdered his family.

2) killed a woman and her granddaughter.

3) murdered a teenager , and an elderly woman.

4) beat his two and a half year old daughter to death.

5) running a methamphetamine operation, subsequently killed five people execution-style.

I don't think anybody's going to be shedding tears for these people.

Very true. And I suspect these particular cases might be lead pipe cinches....haven't read any trial transcripts or anything. I worry that it will also be used to kill people who's cases may have some questionable aspects down the road. It has happened in the past.
Beyond that it is far more punishment to spend the rest of your life locked up than to simply be dead.

Neutral Name

I remain implacably opposed to the death penalty. We are simply not wise enough, and we are certainly not infallible. There are many, many who have been convicted of crimes that might incur that penalty, who have later been exonerated. What if that exoneration came "too late," we'd just shrug and say, "oh, well, **** happens?!"

You are absolutely right. I used to believe in the death penalty because I knew someone who was murdered. I now am a part of the Innocence Project. They choose the most obviously wrongly convicted people. DNA proves that they were wrongly incarcerated. There are many people who were wrongly incarcerated based on erroneous witness testimony or circumstantial evidence. It is not right to accept that everyone in prison is actually guilty of the crimes of which they were convicted. So, capital punishment could be unjust in many situations,.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Please check my post to Evangelicalhumanist

There is appeals processes etc. The law should be followed. To insure the lowest amount of error possible. No (human) system is perfect though. So occasionally an innocent may be convicted. It's unfortunate but necessary to protect potential victims.

4 out 5 of those criminals are convicted of hurting/raping/murdering children.

When someone molest a child it has ripple effects that reach multiple generations of innocent victims sometimes. It not only ruins the life of the victim but also their own children suffer from the parents abused childhood, and sometimes even further down before the damage is done.

I can forgive a thief.

I can forgive a murderer.

But I won't shed a tear for anyone that would harm a child.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
What happened to "love thy neighbor" and "turn the other cheek?" Does Jesus being a pacifist mean nothing?

Jesus wasn't a pacifist.

John 2: 13-15

13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

Matthew 18:6

6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Luke 17:2

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

People that harm children are the lowest of low.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Even though they're wrong and evil I would never resort to violence as safety comes from within. If I had to protect my family with a weapon from immediate danger II would, but I would allow it to un-violent.

You would most likely die if someone was violent and with a weapon trying to kill you and your family. How do you think your ancestors survived dinosaurs and other apex predators for tens of thousands of years by being like Jesus? No. They've killed. They made other creatures stop breathing forever. It is in the nature of man to fight and to do what is necessary to survive. You're a part of an apex species which is how the Creator intended so if you choose to react non-violently to a violent situation you'll go against your very nature which most likely will get you killed as well as your family whom you've intended to protect.