• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no Judaism vs. Christianity - There is Judaism and there is Christianity

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in the USA, half of us have Bachelor's degrees, about 10% have a Masters and quite a few PhDs, so in the USA alone there are more than 3 million doctorates.

Skeptics on RF seem to universally agree that America is a Christian nation. 65% of Americans are thus Christian, giving us over two millions Christian PhD's who sing hymns on Sundays about Jesus's literal return.

You are assuming that PhDs are a representative religious sample of the country as a whole. That is inaccurate. People with post-graduate education skew non-Christian (and less religious in general). And those that are religious tend to be more liberal/less fundamentalist.

The most and least educated U.S. religious groups

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...201411/why-education-corrodes-religious-faith

So again, no, your wild assertion was, and is, incorrect.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Except that there was no tension (check tractate Yevamot). The conflict was in understanding and applying sources and, if you read the textual exploration, it isn't so clear who "won." You might want to start with tractate Eruvin.

You can have a tension between doctrines without having personal or violent/stress tensions. When two schools take opposing viewpoints on a given doctrine, we call that a "tension" between the two.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You are assuming that PhDs are a representative religious sample of the country as a whole. That is inaccurate. People with post-graduate education skew non-Christian (and less religious in general). And those that are religious tend to be more liberal/less fundamentalist.

The most and least educated U.S. religious groups

Why Education Corrodes Religious Faith

So again, no, your wild assertion was, and is, incorrect.

I work at a university, have three degrees, and co-chair academic panels. I'm not surprised to "learn" that there are many liberal scholars. Nor should you be surprised to "learn" that conservative scholars face tenure and other pressures and tend to hide their views. Regardless, there are millions of highly educated people with formal education, and millions of others who are auto-didacts, who love Jesus Christ as Savior.

And there should be no argument brooked that towering intellects like Pascal, Lavoisier, Galileo, etc. with actually thousands we could name were devout lovers of Jesus Christ, Lord, God and King IMHO.

rosends

You can have a tension between doctrines without having personal or violent/stress tensions. When two schools take opposing viewpoints on a given doctrine, we call that a "tension" between the two.
You can have conflict with no tension. When two schools take opposing viewpoints, there is conflict, but not necessarily tension.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I work at a university, have three degrees, and co-chair academic panels.

Cool, what degrees and in what fields, may I ask?

I'm not surprised to "learn" that there are many liberal scholars. Nor should you be surprised to "learn" that conservative scholars face tenure and other pressures and tend to hide their views.

This is a cop out, to be frank. You made an outlandish claim. You have no evidence to support it.

Regardless, there are millions of highly educated people with formal education, and millions of others who are auto-didacts, who love Jesus Christ as Savior.

Well that's a vastly different claim. Claiming there are millions of "self taught" people who are Christians is one thing. Claiming there are "countless millions" of PhDs who literally believe Jesus is going to float down from heaven and land in Jerusalem one day is another.

And there should be no argument brooked that towering intellects like Pascal, Lavoisier, Galileo, etc. with actually thousands we could name were devout lovers of Jesus Christ, Lord, God and King IMHO.

Yes, highly intelligent people have been Christians. Again, in the times and places when the three men you mention were alive, Christianity was literally the state religion (till the French Revolution, in Lavoisier's case) and people who dissented from it were heavily persecuted, even prosecuted.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Cool, what degrees and in what fields, may I ask?

This is a cop out, to be frank. You made an outlandish claim. You have no evidence to support it.

Well that's a vastly different claim. Claiming there are millions of "self taught" people who are Christians is one thing. Claiming there are "countless millions" of PhDs who literally believe Jesus is going to float down from heaven and land in Jerusalem one day is another.

Yes, highly intelligent people have been Christians. Again, in the times and places when the three men you mention were alive, Christianity was literally the state religion (till the French Revolution, in Lavoisier's case) and people who dissented from it were heavily persecuted, even prosecuted.

Unfortunately, education is slanted in the west toward political correctness, liberalism and revisionist history. This in an inarguable fact--well over 95% of professors in the U.S. voted for Obama two times for POTUS.

I want us to both understand--when people say "I used to believe in God, now I'm educated," I recognize TWO facts--secular humanist influence on theology and also, moral ill will toward God, "Let's party in college, baby!"

Feel free to have the last word here. It is not an exaggeration to say towering intellects as well as people with advanced degrees--millions of them, love Jesus and await His appearance to inherit eternal life.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Unfortunately, education is slanted in the west toward political correctness, liberalism and revisionist history. This in an inarguable fact--well over 95% of professors in the U.S. voted for Obama two times for POTUS.
And I would suggest there's some pretty good reasons for why they tend to vote more that way, but your supposed causes are not the reason. Intelligence matched with honesty are the two main causes, whereas Trump & his Trumpettes are neither.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

First, it would really help your content on the site for you to cite some sources when you make claims like these. Where did you pull the "over 95%" figure from, other than your backside? If you're someone with postgraduate education who literally works in academia, you should really know better than this.

Second, there's a correlation/causation issue here. Are American professors overwhelmingly liberal because there is "liberal bias" in education, or because people who are more liberal to begin with place greater value on higher education? Or is it because people who understand more about how the world works tend to realize that, for example, evolution is a thing, society doesn't collapse when we let gay people marry, and greenhouse gas emissions cause climate change? As someone who was once much more conservative, I've noted both these trends as I've become more educated.

I want us to both understand--when people say "I used to believe in God, now I'm educated," I recognize TWO facts--secular humanist influence on theology and also, moral ill will toward God, "Let's party in college, baby!"

Ah, the classic "You just left the church so you could sin" canard. :rolleyes:

I want us both to understand something as well. When people say, "You just left to have an excuse to sin," I see profound projection on the part of the accuser and an attempt to control the behavior of others through guilt. No God who is as wonderful as the Christian God is purported to be should need such tactics to keep people in the fold. Coercion and shaming is not love. It is not needed by people who speak the truth.

Feel free to have the last word here. It is not an exaggeration to say towering intellects as well as people with advanced degrees--millions of them, love Jesus and await His appearance to inherit eternal life.

That is a walk back from your original claim. That's what I took issue with. Again, if you cited sources you'd be less likely to run into these exagerration issues.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
And I would suggest there's some pretty good reasons for why they tend to vote more that way, but your supposed causes are not the reason. Intelligence matched with honesty are the two main causes, whereas Trump & his Trumpettes are neither.

Intelligence matched with honesty leads to liberal policy approvals in all areas?