• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is ideology that allows killing of civilians & teaches hate

Servant_of_the_One1

I think we need to be objective here.
Islam is hijacked by terrorists.
Just like christianity is hijacked by crusaders of old, and modern neo-crusaders.

Buddhism is also hijacked by terrorist monks killing Rohingya babies.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Just like christianity is hijacked by crusaders of old, and modern neo-crusaders.

Buddhism is also hijacked by terrorist monks killing Rohingya babies.

I think you are very much missing the point, Servant.

Islam is often accused (fairly, IMO) of encouraging such hijacking (as is Christianity to a somewhat lesser extent).

There are good reasons for that. Islam is centralized, judgemental, theocentric. Once one convinces himself that he or she is doing God's work by causing harm to someone else, there is really little that can be done to show him or her better.

Even when it is acknowledged that a group of Muslims went stray, the attempts to correct the practice end up all too often being arguments of authority, even outright appeals of hope for the coming of a Caliph or some other figure of authority.

I just don't see how a doctrine that claims to be guided by God himself and that encourages so little self-responsibility can not end up hijacked (sincerely at that) by people taken by hatred.

Last edited:

David M

Self proclaimed Buddhists promoting violence=/=Buddhism promoting violence.
A distinction I would like to make, a text supporting certain acts and supporters supporting certain acts should be distinct.
I do not know of a single sect of Buddhism which justifies any form of violence.

You seem to be unaware of what has been happening in Myanmar, these are not self-proclaimed buddhists. Important Buddhist priests such as Ashin Wirathu have been instrumental in promoting tension and violence.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Yeah, those mean terrorists hijacked Islam from those like you who support killing Satanists and homosexuals who engage in homosexual sex.

Every once in a while, I see a lame joke come along masquerading as ideological moderation. Coming from you, this is one of the lamest jokes I have come across. I can only hope that you don't believe what you are saying. Curing dishonesty is sometimes easier than curing sincere deep-rooted hatred.

David M

Being a priest of Buddhism does not mean they are following the religion.

I was meaning to say that what has happend with Buddhism is the opposite of what has happend in other faiths. We are encouraging faiths with more barbaric religious texts (the abrahamic ones) to become more reformed for the modern world while Buddhism has done something different with followers suddenly going violent with zero founding to their beliefs from any Buddhas. Buddhists actions don't speak for the religion whereas a different argument can be made for other religions in the extreme form.

So you are basically going with the No True Scotsman argument. Sorry that just doesn't wash. They are Buddhists.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Well, what I meant is that a Christian interpreting the bible will claim most of the mentioned violence was a product was a product of its time, not literal or abolished. Whereas Muslims commonly believe that word for word everything in the Qu'ran is true, not a ton of deviation.

A very modern interpretation, sure. But then again the Bible is more than the NT. And there is Gd commanding massacre.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Some, and not necessarily active and potential terrorists, would claim Islam is being hijacked by moderate Islams. The Islam world has, for awhile now, been doing what the Christian world was centuries ago, and that is killing each other over who has it "right" and who has it "wrong." Their worst enemies are themselves, and it's those of other denominations who pose the greatest threat and are the greatest evil for tainting and distorting sacred doctrine. But in reality we need more Gamal al-Bannas and Malala Yousafzais promoting a critical approach towards Islamic texts and the conservative cultural norms of Muslim lands to lead Islam into the 21st century, and to allow those lands to take their place as global citizens.
It's not an issue of who is hijacking what, but who is promoting what. Some Muslims promote modern, rational, and egalitarian principles, and some (particularly those of the Middle East where the cultures are extremely conservative) promote primitive barbarism and a vicious cruelty towards all who oppose.

Akivah

Does that include Israel? Should Hamas, who regularly targets civilians and little else, be done away with?
Or are you OK with hate and violence when it is your version of Islam teaching it?
What about the Amadis? They are regularly targeted for violence. Got any recipe for living with them in peace?

Your version of Islam is laced with hate. You pretending that ISIS is different is laughable.
Tom

The OP didn't call ISIS out by name. I assumed servant was talking about all of current Islam. Like I read from Qenan Al-Ghamdi from the newspaper Al-Watan wrote on November 2. He said
Most [imams], from their mosque pulpits every Friday, continue to hurl accusations of heresy at Muslim groups that live among us and also at the People of the Book, many of whom work in our country. The [imams] curse and hurl invective at them. Those we call 'preachers and lovers of knowledge' are still doing this in their lectures and sermons – and some of them are employees of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and work under its supervision. [Moreover], television channels continue to host them, giving them an opportunity to spread this poison, which reaches every home, every eye and every ear.

prometheus11

The powerful enact evil as a part of their all-encompassing strategy. Power seeks more power above all else and will commit atrocities as part of their ploy to attain more power. (Power does many "good" things, too, but "evil" and harming the weak to show off just how much power they have already gained is part of the illusion they present).

Religions just happen to have a lot of power and so are easy targets for pointing out atrocities done in their name, but no ideology or government or club is immune. Any power-group will use unfair destruction and terror to get across the message that they are not to be trifled with. It's just what power does.

The best option available to the weak is to kowtow to the power structure that can harm them and pledge obeisance. Besides, any defense or evidence of wrongs can be erased by the power structure at will...that's why they are the power structure. Full submission and sacrifice. Lay your head on the chopping block with a smile and no defense. Christ gave the perfect example during his trial.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Any hand that tries to hijack islam or destroy islam, that hand will be cut off.
Because Allah promised to protect His religion.
Who though is doing the hijacking? Much like the Bible, the Quran is open to multiple and polar-opposite translations. According to some non-Muslims, the ones doing the hijacking are moderate Muslims who are saying "no more shall this be" in regards to certains parts of the Quran. According to moderate Muslims the extremist Muslims are doing the hijacking because of their violent and vile ways (especially in the numerous ways they break Islamic law). According to extremist Muslims, moderates are doing the hijacking for allowing liberal ideals (note, I mean liberal in the general since of the word, such as liberal secular democracies, equality for minorities, and not allowing the death penalty for every trivial offense under the sun, if allowing it at all) to permeate society.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
So you are basically going with the No True Scotsman argument. Sorry that just doesn't wash. They are Buddhists.

Not really. The difference is that there are scriptural verses in both Christian & Muslim canon advocating violence, and the theology itself (both refer to existence as a battle between the influences of God (good) and Satan (evil). Can the same be said of Buddhism and its scriptures?