• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are no polytheists in the West.

jasonwill2

Whatever name you want to call it, it's exactly what I was talking about. It's the trust of the self, one's own sense of what's most practical, that what guides.

It's a "no" by virtue of the fact that Satan doesn't frown upon it. He lets people make up their own mind.

I don't remember insulting anything. Perhaps I mischaracterized parts of your religion. My impression is that your experiences represent the more extreme end of spiritual experiences in any religion if they are anything like you say they are. Sometimes things like chemical imbalances can also be factor in the type of experiences that we have that we perceive as spiritual.

1. read a dictionary before you try to debate again. rationalism isn't trusting in yourself, it's the idea that logic is the best way to come to truth.

2. And so did the thousands of ancient dieties from antiquity. Zeuz, Ra, THor, ect ect didnt boss people's around but were just the god of certain aspects of nature.

3. A mischaracterization would be an understatement. Also, my experiences are not a result of mental illness, they were major workings that transformed me.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
1. read a dictionary before you try to debate again. rationalism isn't trusting in yourself, it's the idea that logic is the best way to come to truth.

hehehe..funny you mention the dictionary. I actually quoted the dictionary definition in post 105. Trust of the human brain and its ability to reason=trust in yourself

jasonwill2

hehehe..funny you mention the dictionary. I actually quoted the dictionary definition in post 105. Trust of the human brain and its ability to reason=trust in yourself

unless yourself is a thing that doesn't like to reason. I arlready told you I go by emotionss and my senses, not reason or logic.

Polarbear

Again, the definition of "god" found in the Bible is the only one truly relevant to our lives because it describes who has the ultimate authority in our lives.

What?! Listen, you can't use your personal definition and ignore everybody elses, then you are right by default and there is nothing to discuss.

jasonwill2

What?! Listen, you can't use your personal definition and ignore everybody elses, then you are right by default and there is nothing to discuss.

I tried all night, I don't think that he wants to use anything other than his own definitions for gods, rationalism, or whatever else.

Antibush5

Howdy
Before a recent personal revelation, I was a firm believer in polytheism, I believed that the gods controlled my life, that there was destiny and all that jazz, hell I even believe that one caused me to cut myself with a knife while cooking because I forgot to make a blood sacrifice. So there can be proper polytheists in the west. Though the west is going through a rather secular and rational period right now where even the bydlo are going atheist despite their lack of education in the subject.

jasonwill2

Howdy
Before a recent personal revelation, I was a firm believer in polytheism, I believed that the gods controlled my life, that there was destiny and all that jazz, hell I even believe that one caused me to cut myself with a knife while cooking because I forgot to make a blood sacrifice. So there can be proper polytheists in the west. Though the west is going through a rather secular and rational period right now where even the bydlo are going atheist despite their lack of education in the subject.

Those don't sound like very nice gods to make you spontaniousy cut yourself for forgetting something.. which ones were they?

jasonwill2

Because sometimes you want very personal gods, they can be your best friends and your worst enemies.

I can see the value in that, but the closest I ever got to that was when I punched a picture which was I think directed by Satan. Wasn't so bad but lots of blood and served as the catylist for some big working.

Polarbear

if it passes Kingofthejungles' definition of gods and rationalism it might be :sarcastic

Maybe it will pass, after all it's not a Neo-pagan religion and it has western followers. Though seeing as King has been a bit difficult it my opinion so far maybe not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In the sense that is most relevant to our lives, the trust that one does or doesn't put in that entity is the difference between a "god" and a powerful spirit

... In your view. This is not necessarily the case, though.

I think your arguments don't really imply that polytheists don't consider their gods to be gods; it's that polytheists don't approach the concept of "gods" the same way that monotheists approach the concept of "God". And to that I'd say "well... yeah. Of course."

jasonwill2

edit: again i dont know if I said this, but I revere Lilith and if she said jump I would jump as she is... a rapist to say the least. I would obey her out of fear, but at the same time I know that her dominatrix side, while very scary, could be very enjoyable if I was careful of my steps. Her daughters seem nice though. Never met Lilith but have always recognized her name in my rituals. Perhaps she isn't so mean.

At any rate I would be much more likely to blindly obey Lilith than even Satan... sexual beings have that kind of power over men. ;D

... In your view. This is not necessarily the case, though.

I think your arguments don't really imply that polytheists don't consider their gods to be gods; it's that polytheists don't approach the concept of "gods" the same way that monotheists approach the concept of "God". And to that I'd say "well... yeah. Of course."

Apparently virtually every Greek god wasn't a god by his definition as well as many other gods throughout history.

But perhaps wording it like that might help; as you said he's trying to apply a monotheistic view onto polytheistic gods.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I'd find it enlightening if there was a Westerner here that identifies as "polytheist" that would tell us about a god that places ANY DEMAND at all upon their lives apart from demanding that people "remain true" to themselves or something else along the lines of things that people naturally want to do. I'm not interested in hearing about gods that make suggestions or even implore. I want to hear about a god that actually gives orders. Specifically, orders that may from time to time OPPOSE their own will and must be followed in order to stay in the good graces of that god
Like I said, you seem to think a god(s) must be demanding and controlling to qualify as god(s).
What you don't seem to understand is that most concepts of a jealous, authoritative, omnipotent, demanding deity are limited to monotheistic faiths.
Although there are many monotheists who can actually have a personal relationship with their god without the focus on authoritarian demands.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Reason and trust are two different things, so you still are way away from rationalism.

I trust in myself, but for what is religion I trust in my experience more than in my "reason". You don´t seem to get the intuitive approach we are talking about.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Howdy

I was beginning to think that the existence of people who held such belief systems were a myth in the Western world. Thank you for your contribution. We have our first Western (ex)polytheist that actually had gods that ruled over him in a practical sense in that it actually made some demands.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I was beginning to think that the existence of people who held such belief systems were a myth in the Western world. Thank you for your contribution. We have our first Western (ex)polytheist that actually had gods that ruled over him in a practical sense in that it actually made some demands.

Yo keep ignoring my question.

What does God gain for your obedience? Why does he gives orders? If it is not for your well being, then for what is it?