• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: what do you think movitates atheists?

F1fan

Veteran Member
In my opinion, atheism is motivated by the desire of having an idea/world view that goes against the status “quo”
Are you implying religion is a sort of status quo?

Its motivated by the desire to have an original belief, something cool and original that goes against “the system”
Are you suggesting that theists adopt systematic belief and for some reason avoid having original thought?

Brian2

Veteran Member
I was an atheist because God was not interesting - worth my time thinking about. So that was my reason back in the day.

Others I've seen are searching for truth and don't find any reason to believe in God.

As to being angry: I've read or heard that theists have been angry with God whereas some atheists might possibly think about God "you don't exist and I hate you".

There is an apocryphal story about St. Teresa whose life was threatened when she was trying to cross a river to do God's work. Her emotions might or might not include anger - who knows. But in any event, it's reported she said to God "when wilt Thou cease from scattering obstacles in our path?” “Do not complain, daughter,” the Divine Master answered, “for it is ever thus that I treat My friends.” “Ah, Lord, it is also on that account that Thou hast so few!” was her reply. St. Teresa of Ávila: “If this is how You treat your friends….”

I have been known to get angry with God but atheists should not unless it is some psychological thing and they are really just angry with their father and transfer it to God or something.
Many atheists say that there is just not enough evidence. (they never say "for me" but I guess that is assumed)
Then for some reason they end up hating the God of the Bible and consider that God to be hateful and a hypocrite and cruel and evil etc.
I don't usually hear what they think of other gods.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have been known to get angry with God but atheists should not unless it is some psychological thing and they are really just angry with their father and transfer it to God or something.
Many atheists say that there is just not enough evidence. (they never say "for me" but I guess that is assumed)
Then for some reason they end up hating the God of the Bible and consider that God to be hateful and a hypocrite and cruel and evil etc.
I don't usually hear what they think of other gods.

I have never met an atheist who hated God
I do not even understand how it might be possible to hate something you don't believe in.
You probably are unable to understand how I can follow the teachings of Jesus, but have no Idea at all who or what God may or may not be, or even if he exists as an identifiable "Something".
I am happy to be a heretic. I see no reason to conform.

leroy

Are you implying religion is a sort of status quo?

Are you suggesting that theists adopt systematic belief and for some reason avoid having original thought?
I guess what I am trying to say is that Most atheist are motivated by the desire to have an identity. Al teenagers have this desire, some become atheist, some follow a gluten free diet, some follow a conspiracy theory etc.

That’s my personal guess.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I have never met an atheist who hated God
I do not even understand how it might be possible to hate something you don't believe in.
You probably are unable to understand how I can follow the teachings of Jesus, but have no Idea at all who or what God may or may not be, or even if he exists as an identifiable "Something".
I am happy to be a heretic. I see no reason to conform.

I am sure there are many heretics around who believe in Jesus, especially these days with so many lies spread around about Jesus.
Nobody knows what God is really and we all have different amounts of faith.
I have ended up as part of an Anglican congregation in which are a broad range of beliefs about various theological issues.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I guess what I am trying to say is that Most atheist are motivated by the desire to have an identity.
OK, this is even less clear. What identity are atheists trying to achieve with not believing in religious concepts?

Are you suggesting I have no identity?

Or could it be you think the identity theists attain from their belief is what you recognize, and perhaps necessary for some sort of personal meaning, or significance in an indifferent universe?

Al teenagers have this desire, some become atheist, some follow a gluten free diet, some follow a conspiracy theory etc.

That’s my personal guess.
You're guessing, but not being clear. A person might have a gluten free diet due to wheat intolerance, so what does this have to do with identity? It's just a biological fact they have to navigate the their life. And as for atheists, well, they have an intellectual right to assess religious claims and reject them due to a lack of evidence. Heck, all theists will reject some other religion's concepts by just aligning to one. I get the sense you haven't thought this through.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you think causes a person to abandon their theistic belief system and become an atheist?

I can tell you why I did. It never made sense and it failed to deliver on its promises.

I was an atheist until about age twenty, when I became a Christian. The theology didn't make sense, but I was promised that with faith, the Holy Spirit would would fill me and it would all make sense. I agreed to suspend disbelief and critical thinking to try this pair of shoes on for awhile to see how well they fit.

At first, I did experience a warm feeling and thrill whenever I attended services, and called that the Holy Spirit. For a few years, I was a zealous Christian, studying the Bible, going to church three times a week, and proselytizing on the street and among my non-Christian friends and friends.

I was in the Army then. I was eventually discharged, and returned to California. I went from congregation to congregation there trying to recapture the spirit of my first church, but that never happened. Eventually, I realized that what I had been feeling in my first congregation was the result of a gifted and charismatic preacher, not the Holy Spirit, which would have followed me to California. I tried about five such churches, all pretty dead and lifeless. Where was the victory that they had been promised? Where was this holy spirit? When were we going to be able to move mountains with faith?

Furthermore, the story never made sense. The Holy Spirit never caused me to see that Christianity's was a reasonable doctrine. After several years wearing the shoes, they still didn't fit, I was still having to suspend disbelief not to reject the theology, and experiencing cognitive dissonance. I decided that these shoes would never fit, and so replaced them with a world view that did make sense.

It was a surprisingly difficult transition. Years of submission to this worldview didn't end abruptly. I found myself still talking to Jesus for a few years after deciding that I was probably talking to myself, but unable to immediately stop. "Jesus, if you're there, give me a sign, don't let me make a mistake."

I understand why it is so difficult for so many others to tunnel out. Maybe they never had a background with atheism or critical thinking. Maybe their entire social situation was dependent on acceptance by a local religious community. Maybe they waited too long, like a smoker who could have quit at thirty, but not at sixty.

Incidentally, I am still in touch with the original pastor by email, originally through personal exchanges beginning in the mid-nineties, but now, just through group emails notifying me of his missionary work. Of course, he was very surprised and disappointed in my apostasy following military discharge. Hated to disappoint him.

leroy

OK, this is even less clear. What identity are atheists trying to achieve with not believing in religious concepts?

Are you suggesting I have no identity?

Or could it be you think the identity theists attain from their belief is what you recognize, and perhaps necessary for some sort of personal meaning, or significance in an indifferent universe?

You're guessing, but not being clear. A person might have a gluten free diet due to wheat intolerance, so what does this have to do with identity? It's just a biological fact they have to navigate the their life. And as for atheists, well, they have an intellectual right to assess religious claims and reject them due to a lack of evidence. Heck, all theists will reject some other religion's concepts by just aligning to one. I get the sense you haven't thought this through.
then speak for yourself, why are you an atheist? when did you become one?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am sure there are many heretics around who believe in Jesus, especially these days with so many lies spread around about Jesus.
Nobody knows what God is really and we all have different amounts of faith.
I have ended up as part of an Anglican congregation in which are a broad range of beliefs about various theological issues.

As have I, however my beliefs tend to match better with Christian Unitarian. Or non subscribing Presbyterian.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion, atheism is motivated by the desire of having an idea/world view that goes against the status “quo”

Its motivated by the desire to have an original belief, something cool and original that goes against “the system”

*blinks*

Wait...atheism is 'cool'?
*scratches his head*
When did THAT happen???

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
From a biblical standpoint, I’d say most atheists are atheists because they are fools (Psalm 14:1; Romans 1:22). As humans we tend to think pretty highly of ourselves and our own ability to figure things out and control our own lives. Most of us don’t like the idea of an authority higher than ourselves, to which we are accountable.

I'm mostly happy to just listen in on this thread, since it's interesting to see what people think of atheists. And, of course, atheists aren't a single hive mind, so even something I don't agree with might apply for other atheists. I can really only speak for myself.
However...

I never understood the view that as atheists we aren't 'accountable', and that's why we aren't believers. It's not that it upsets me, it just confuses me. Do you not believe in Allah due to a fear of accountability to Him? Does it even cross your mind? How about Neptune? I'm sure it's not even a consideration, same as it is not for me.
Pascal's wager is a similar suggestion...that a person can look at the 'price' or the 'benefit' of belief, and then make a decision.

But I don't believe there is a God. That doesn't change regardless of whether I WANT there to be a God. Or which version of God I think likely, be it kind or vengeful, forgiving or authoritarian.

Anyone passing even a cursory glance over my life would realise I'm not running away from accountability in any other aspect of my life. Quite the opposite. Yet there is an assumption that I'm an atheist because I want to avoid authority...which suggests deep down I 'know' there is a God, and further...that I know there is a God who expects to have authority over me, and further, that I know what my responsibilities are in relation to that God.

It's extremely myopic.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would be very surprised if there is any Atheist who is angry with God. That would kind of negate being Atheist

I think there are some people who might claim to be atheists, and are angry at God. I wouldn't see them as actual atheists (since any belief in a God to be angry at is then logically impossible), but people sometimes claim to be believers without belief, right? So I daresay the opposite occurs also.

Most often, though, the 'angry atheist' trope is not based on actual people.

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm mostly happy to just listen in on this thread, since it's interesting to see what people think of atheists. And, of course, atheists aren't a single hive mind, so even something I don't agree with might apply for other atheists. I can really only speak for myself.
However...

I never understood the view that as atheists we aren't 'accountable', and that's why we aren't believers. It's not that it upsets me, it just confuses me. Do you not believe in Allah due to a fear of accountability to Him? Does it even cross your mind? How about Neptune? I'm sure it's not even a consideration, same as it is not for me.
Pascal's wager is a similar suggestion...that a person can look at the 'price' or the 'benefit' of belief, and then make a decision.

But I don't believe there is a God. That doesn't change regardless of whether I WANT there to be a God. Or which version of God I think likely, be it kind or vengeful, forgiving or authoritarian.

Anyone passing even a cursory glance over my life would realise I'm not running away from accountability in any other aspect of my life. Quite the opposite. Yet there is an assumption that I'm an atheist because I want to avoid authority...which suggests deep down I 'know' there is a God, and further...that I know there is a God who expects to have authority over me, and further, that I know what my responsibilities are in relation to that God.

It's extremely myopic.

It may be that my post was a little too near-sighted and assumptive. I’m sure there are a variety of reasons why a person adheres to an atheistic view, based on the specific circumstances of their own life, experiences, attitudes, etc.

I think it’s just basic human nature, though, for one to prefer independence over accountability to an authority, as a Creator God, atheist or otherwise.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I think it’s just basic human nature, though, for one to prefer independence over accountability to an authority, as a Creator God, atheist or otherwise.
Are you saying that "human nature" prefers atheism over theism?
Even though the vast majority of the population has always been theist?

Seems to me the hope for reward outweighs the need for independence...

InChrist

Free4ever
Are you saying that "human nature" prefers atheism over theism?
Even though the vast majority of the population has always been theist?

Seems to me the hope for reward outweighs the need for independence...
No, I’m just saying human nature tends toward independent, self-centered thinking; atheists or religionists.