• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: what do you think movitates atheists?

syo

Source please.
And I mean a source that explains how belief in the dead rising equals cult.
In my books, it's about definitions. A ''cult'' is ''crazy talk''. ''Dead rising'' doesn't sound sane. It's ''crazy talk''. So it's a cult.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
In my books, it's about definitions.
The least you can do is present the names of the books you claim you used for the source of of your claim.

I strongly suspect that you know your sources are bunk, thus the reason you refuse to present them.

bunk defined2.JPG

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I've actually been toying around with making a TikTok related to this.

I was in a semi-not-so-civil discussion with an Atheist (bordering on Anti-theist) who was using the words "religion" to mean Abrahamism and "theist" to mean Christian/Jew/Muslim. Elsewhere and often when discussing with individuals like this (who mock "theists" with a broad-brush of Christian practice and belief), when an argument is made from, say, a polytheistic outlook, the response is almost always "Well, that's not really what I'm talking about." Which lead me to question much the same:

What, by nature, is Atheism? Is it nothing more than a reaction and response of disbelief and rejection to Christianity (as well as Judaism and Islam)? Would Atheists truly be Atheists if Christianity was not the dominant religion in the world (or even just America), and would they rather simply be non-religious?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

I was in a semi-not-so-civil discussion with an Atheist (bordering on Anti-theist) who was using the words "religion" to mean Abrahamism and "theist" to mean Christian/Jew/Muslim. Elsewhere and often when discussing with individuals like this (who mock "theists" with a broad-brush of Christian practice and belief), when an argument is made from, say, a polytheistic outlook, the response is almost always "Well, that's not really what I'm talking about." Which lead me to question much the same:

What, by nature, is Atheism? Is it nothing more than a reaction and response of disbelief and rejection to Christianity (as well as Judaism and Islam)? Would Atheists truly be Atheists if Christianity was not the dominant religion in the world (or even just America), and would they rather simply be non-religious?
Hard to say. For some, I'm sure that's true.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

What, exactly, is it you believe atheism to be?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
In another thread, the idea was brought up that many theists believe that atheists are atheists because they're angry with God.

Theists: do you agree with this? Why do you think atheists are atheists?

What do you think causes a person to abandon their theistic belief system and become an atheist?

What do you think motivates a person to never adopt a theistic belief system in the first place?
Yes anger and fear, which are closely related. They fear God might require something of them.
Or they are angry because God didn't arrange some circumstance the way they wanted it and somebody suffered.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
What, exactly, is it you believe atheism to be?

Up in the air, for now. I understand well the name to mean "lack of belief in a deity", yet in practice it seems more often than not to simply be anti-Abrahamism, or an absence of belief in Abrahamism. Even from my own experiences, I was atheistic for a time purely out of rejection of Christianity, and simply because I did not know anything else. Does one remain an Atheist, simply because they are locked in a Monotheistic, Abrahamic world-view?