• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists, How do you know there is no being more powerful than God?

Rational Agnostic

We recognize none of us would ever know better, superior, about God than someone who knows God unusually well, the teacher Jesus.

He even told us this:

Matthew 11:27 All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him.

We just aren't going to be able to have a better understanding than Jesus, of course.

That's only realism. If someone imagined they know more of God than the Christ, it's a delusion.

So, are you admitting you don't know that the deity described by the bible is the most powerful being in existence? Or are you dodging the question again? Looks to me like you're continuing to ignore the question.

Rational Agnostic

In Orthodox Christianity, the Universe has one God, Jesus/the Son. The Son is an aspect of a Greater God, the Father. The Father sent the Son, gave birth to the Son, created the world through the Son. So, the Father is the most powerful God and He is responsible for the Son/Jesus.

I can see that you have stated that "the Father is the most powerful God." What I'm asking is: how do you know this?

james bond

Suppose for the sake of argument that the god of classical theism (Jesus/Allah/Yahweh, etc.) exists and did in fact create the universe and perform supernatural feats. How do you know that this god is not just a creation or tool being used by another more powerful god? Perhaps the more powerful god decided to make the god of classical theism believe that it is the most powerful being in existence, when in fact, it is not. Perhaps Jesus' death and resurrection did occur, but they were part of a plan put into place by a greater god, who will one day take Jesus/Yahweh/Allah by surprise when he/she/it (the more powerful god) asserts her/his/its authority over the universe. Perhaps the Bible/Qur'an were inspired by your god, but only because the more powerful god allowed them to be inspired in order to trick humans into thinking that the god of classical theism is the most powerful being in existence.

The point of this thought experiment is to show that you cannot (at least, as far as I can determine) prove your god is the most powerful being in existence. Even if he revealed himself to you in a genuinely powerful experience, you have no way of knowing that he is not simply a tool used by a more powerful god.

The supernatural is right in front of your nose. It's life or God's breath. The evidence is only life begats life. It can't happen outside the cell. Moreover, once you kick the bucket, that's it. You can't come back.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Suppose for the sake of argument that the god of classical theism (Jesus/Allah/Yahweh, etc.) exists and did in fact create the universe and perform supernatural feats. How do you know that this god is not just a creation or tool being used by another more powerful god? Perhaps the more powerful god decided to make the god of classical theism believe that it is the most powerful being in existence, when in fact, it is not. Perhaps Jesus' death and resurrection did occur, but they were part of a plan put into place by a greater god, who will one day take Jesus/Yahweh/Allah by surprise when he/she/it (the more powerful god) asserts her/his/its authority over the universe. Perhaps the Bible/Qur'an were inspired by your god, but only because the more powerful god allowed them to be inspired in order to trick humans into thinking that the god of classical theism is the most powerful being in existence.

The point of this thought experiment is to show that you cannot (at least, as far as I can determine) prove your god is the most powerful being in existence. Even if he revealed himself to you in a genuinely powerful experience, you have no way of knowing that he is not simply a tool used by a more powerful god.
Perhaps the Bible/Qur'an were inspired by your god, but...
Taking that statement... if the Bible is truly inspired by God, then what it says is true.
The Bible says, there is no other God, but the almighty Jehovah, who cannot lie.
Therefore since this is true, I know there is no other.

Rational Agnostic

The supernatural is right in front of your nose. It's life or God's breath. The evidence is only life begats life. It can't happen outside the cell. Moreover, once you kick the bucket, that's it. You can't come back.

And...yet another Christian ignores the question.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Circular.
Sorry it came over that way. I noticed that but I didn't bother to go into details, but I will do that now...
Step 1
A study of the Bible reveals it is true.
Step 2
Since the Bible is true, then we can believe what it says.
Step 3
The Bible says there is no other God, but the almighty Jehovah, who cannot lie.
Step 4
Therefore, I know there is only one true God, alone - the almighty Jehovah.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
So, are you admitting you don't know that the deity described by the bible is the most powerful being in existence? Or are you dodging the question again? Looks to me like you're continuing to ignore the question.

Jesus is the one who knows.

I trust what He said above what anyone else imagines.

The scriptures which tell us there is only one true God -- Jesus confirmed the validity of these scriptures.

james bond

And...yet another Christian ignores the question.

You ignore my answer which trumps your trivial question, but still need an answer?

Too elementary, my dear Watson. The Bible says so. If you don't like that, then there's...

POS_15_Nicene_Creed_12x16__98798.1460380403.jpg

or you can take the Catholic version of the Apostle's Creed. Do you know the difference?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That is really not evidence. Or at best it is about as low of a quality of evidence as one can find. It clearly is not reliable evidence. Your first error is in your statement that says:

"The evidence is only life begats life."

You need a qualifier for that. You should have ended the sentence with the word "now". Abiogenesis is the study of how first life arose. The last I checked you were about 50 years behind the times. Is that still the case?

james bond

That is really not evidence. Or at best it is about as low of a quality of evidence as one can find. It clearly is not reliable evidence. Your first error is in your statement that says:

"The evidence is only life begats life."

You need a qualifier for that. You should have ended the sentence with the word "now". Abiogenesis is the study of how first life arose. The last I checked you were about 50 years behind the times. Is that still the case?

Heck, no.

Abiogenesis is just another word for spontaneous generation that was debunked by Dr. Louis Pasteur. The atheists won't admit they lost with their atheist science and cannot create life. Life cannot be created outside the cell. Moreover, we see that water which is what is necessary for life is an universal solvent. It would prevent amino acids from forming as they would just be dissolved. Next BS atheist argument in line, please.

james bond

apostles+creed.png

Here's the Apostle's Creed which the Catholic church debunks the OP.

What is the difference between it and the Christian? The Christian one is the correct one. There you go.

james bond

So the OP just ran away w/o answering my question about the difference?

Sheesh, I answered his trivial question and gave atheism and its fake science the supernatural. No abiogenesis ever :rolleyes:.

Rational Agnostic

So the OP just ran away w/o answering my question about the difference?

Sheesh, I answered his trivial question and gave atheism and its fake science the supernatural. No abiogenesis ever :rolleyes:.

Nope, I didn't run away. But you never answered my question, so replying to all of your irrelevant and juvenile responses would be a waste of my time.:)

james bond

It doesn't matter. Not very interesting when your question is answered and then state I never answered your question. It means you just can't accept the truth. The Bible is true and the creed just follows it.

james bond

How do you prove that the deity described in the Bible is the most powerful being in existence?

Now, you're moving the goal posts by changing the question. There is a logical argument for it called the Kalam Cosmological Argument. What are are other logical arguments for it by theist groups and non-theist groups?