• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theist/agnostics/atheist, what joy does your belief system bring you?

Debunker

I am a born again, Bible thumping, conservative theist, a difficult position to defend on this forum. I take particular pride in being able to successfully give the good reasons why my beliefs are such as these are. I find great comfort in giving support to believers who can not express their belief as forceful and convincing as I can.

Psychologically, I am very content and am without anxiety that I might be in error. I know what is real and what is not real. My faith gives me real peace in looking to the future. What Christ said is true, seek the truth and you will find it, find the truth and it will make you free. I am very happy with my lifestyle and content with life as it is. My belief system has made all this possible.

This thread is not a place for you to offer criticism of another belief system but it is a place to prise the virtues of your own system whatever that system is.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
My thought system encourages me to accept reality plus it gives me the strength to work towards and hope for a better future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am a born again, Bible thumping, conservative theist, a difficult position to defend on this forum.
It should be easy to defend....just explain why. The faithful who get in big trouble are the ones who invoke preposterous
arguments, eg, Darwinism being the cause Hitlerian evil. Anyway, my system (if one can call the singular tenet of disbelief
in gods a "system") offers me nothing but freedom to consider my options.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
An acceptance of natural reality without the dogma of supernatural mythology.

As a Christian, I was fraught with doubts, as a Deist, I am full of appreciation for how the universe works.

Debunker

It should be easy to defend....just explain why. The faithful who get in big trouble are the ones who invoke preposterous
arguments, eg, Darwinism being the cause Hitlerian evil. Anyway, my system (if one can call the singular tenet of disbelief
in gods a "system") offers me nothing but freedom to consider my options.

I do say '"on this forum" but. I do not find it difficult to defend.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not much of a belief system and joy isn't an aspect of it for me.

I'm concerned with accuracy and appropriate methods for discerning truth. Joy is a separate issue from accuracy, so I don't pick worldviews based on joy.

Onkara

I have never been happier, more secure and grateful for life than now. For me the answer is knowing that there is no duality. That all is one, united and full of purpose.

I agree with your quote:
What Christ said is true, seek the truth and you will find it, find the truth and it will make you free.

I don't believe it is possible to mind wash or convince another person of your view, people need to want to find their "truth" simply to set themselves "free". :)

Onkara

As a Christian, I was fraught with doubts, as a Deist, I am full of appreciation for how the universe works.

I can appreciate your perspective here, doubt can be destructive and immobilising. I am curious of how you now understand the universe :)

Debunker

It's not much of a belief system and joy isn't an aspect of it for me.

I'm concerned with accuracy and appropriate methods for discerning truth. Joy is a separate issue from accuracy, so I don't pick worldviews based on joy.

You turn the question upside down. Joy may not be a factor in determining your belif system. but you must have some sense of satisfaction with what you believe, or may be not.

Debunker

I have never been happier, more secure and grateful for life than now. For me the answer is knowing that there is no duality. That all is one, united and full of purpose.

I agree with your quote:

I don't believe it is possible to mind wash or convince another person of your view, people need to want to find their "truth" simply to set themselves "free". :)
I do agree. I have found my truth and am satisfied with it just like you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think the most notable joy my religious practice brings is the fact that I am finally able to breathe easier in life and cope with stress better than I did before, and even when pressured by timetables, I more often than not as inclined to feel unduly rushed in doing my tasks.

What Christ said is true, seek the truth and you will find it, find the truth and it will make you free. I am very happy with my lifestyle and content with life as it is. My belief system has made all this possible.

Although no longer a Christian, I do still appreciate those words, "The truth will set you free." albeit not in the vernacular of Christendom anymore. It's now become a general mantra of sorts for me and is comforting to acknowledge the direct application of those words towards whatever the day brings. I too don't feel anxiety and am confident as well. Wonderful to experience such.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You turn the question upside down. Joy may not be a factor in determining your belif system. but you must have some sense of satisfaction with what you believe, or may be not.
Satisfaction isn't really a part of it for me.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I am a born again, Bible thumping, conservative theist, a difficult position to defend on this forum. I take particular pride in being able to successfully give the good reasons why my beliefs are such as these are. I find great comfort in giving support to believers who can not express their belief as forceful and convincing as I can.

Psychologically, I am very content and am without anxiety that I might be in error. I know what is real and what is not real. My faith gives me real peace in looking to the future. What Christ said is true, seek the truth and you will find it, find the truth and it will make you free. I am very happy with my lifestyle and content with life as it is. My belief system has made all this possible.

This thread is not a place for you to offer criticism of another belief system but it is a place to prise the virtues of your own system whatever that system is.

Atheism isn't really a belief system so it will have no place in my comment here, but as a humanist I find great joys in working towards a better future as a fallible being that has to work for it.

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime" is one of the principles my girlfriend and I have taken to heart. That isn't to say that we don't offer fish when we have them -- every year we bring last year's hoodies and jackets to the homeless community center in town and sometimes I buy some food and she volunteers in the kitchen -- but there's nothing quite like the feeling of truly getting someone on their feet by volunteering and contributing to work-based rehab programs that try to get homeless folks into temporary housing with job programs so they can accomplish a home and food on the table from their own two hands.

Other than the obvious altruistic side of humanism I enjoy the fact that in such a belief system (unless you have some other belief like some versions of theism or karma or something) all of your failures and successes are your own. You don't get to pass off your failures on something else but rather accept that they are yours and attempt to learn from them -- but you also take credit for success when you've done well.

From the secular humanist standpoint mankind is a mess as it always has been -- wars, ignorance, hatred, etc. It's also mankind's fault that such things are the case. But the really neat thing is that we can also take credit for what we've accomplished. We conquered smallpox, we built a worldwide system of instant communication, we stood on the moon. Some of us have learned to share what we possess with the less fortunate and not to hoard overmuch. Every time we get to know somebody well and we think "that's such a great person," it's a credit to humanity that such a good individual was able to rise to that level.

It may be more modest to simply attribute successes to the handiwork of gods, but I strongly disagree with the standpoints of some religions that hold humans to be inherently wicked, twisted creatures that would sooner stab you in the back than give you a bit of food. I think it does a disservice to the wonderful human beings that do exist.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Knowing that the universe works a certain way, and that I can make my own destiny, and that I don't have to be plagued by the bonds of suffering. It helps me in coping with all the stress of life and it's unsatisfactoriness. And, on an even more personal level, it's helped me to cope with the tragedy of my divorce.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I can appreciate your perspective here, doubt can be destructive and immobilising. I am curious of how you now understand the universe :)
As a naturally occurring phenomena, with knowledge backed by evidence.
It is very comforting to have a faith that is not in direct conflict with known facts.

tarasan

What i love about my religion is that It isnt somethings thats airy fairy, rather its something that people have thought about, and that people have tried to work out.

God isnt some mysterious force that is out "there" rather he is a close personal force, that to an extent can be known and explianed.