• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theism vs Atheism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is it correct to propose that atheism might have a problem with the subjective and theism generally has a problem with the objective?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it is a problem either way. I think that atheists might consider subjectivity as less relevant for truth while theists consider it more relevant for their lives.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Is it correct to propose that atheism might have a problem with the subjective and theism generally has a problem with the objective?

Its not really a well thought out question, atheism is nothing more than the disbelief in god or gods.

Of course, as evidence stands there is no proof of gods thus making gods subjective.

However, other than that one point an atheist is just an everyday person who has subjective feelings.

And of course most theists are atheist for every god belief but their own.

A Vestigial Mote

As others have stated, this doesn't have much to do with atheism on the whole. However, I see what you are trying to get at.

I am an atheist, and not because of my atheism, but more due to my also being a skeptic, there are all kinds of things I recognize as being completely subjective. And I think the "problem" theists have with this notion is exactly that recognition. They want to claim objectivity, using completely subjective evidence. I refuse to recognize their evidence as pertaining to the objective, and they refuse to concede that (like a great many other things) their ideas are subjective. That's where my particular problem with theists tends to start.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Can you clarify what you mean by “problem with”?

Like, do you think atheism is combative towards the subjective? Or is it more like atheists have trouble appreciating or accepting the subjective?

I think you might have something here. But then I thought, I don’t think most theists would categorize their beliefs in god as subjective, but as an objective stance. So maybe their “problem with” the objective is that they don’t understand what is objective?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

No.
Theism and atheism mean next to nothing without context.

In the context of Western culture, which limits its view of what "god" means to classical monotheism? I don't know. That's not the place I speak from. But it would certainly be false to say that this polytheist/pantheist/animist has a problem with either subjectivity or objectivity. It'd be kind of hard to me to, when I've had one foot in the arts and one foot in the sciences all my life. :shrug:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
No, I think that is insulting to the better thinkers of both schools.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would say that theists that try to claim objective reasoning or proof are just as foolish as atheists trying to claim objective reasoning or proof. And yet there are plenty of both who are exactly that foolish.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I try to differentiate between my subjective and objective experiences. Theists seem to have a harder time with this.

dianaiad

Hmmn. I'd say yes, except that I think that theists can be very objective when they are dealing with science and examining the universe as it is. They CAN be. Most of 'em, as it happens, handle objectivity just fine, unless it comes to religion.

Atheists have problems with subjectivity unless it comes to personal relationships and ethics, and sometimes not even then. I remember with some amusement a conversation I had with an atheist once who tried explaining why he knew that his wife loved him in strictly objective terms. He had to acknowledge that he couldn't do that, since all her actions towards him COULD have motives other than 'love,' but he still 'knew' that it was love that prompted them, as it was love that prompted his behavior towards her.

He got really frustrated. A fun sort of frustrated, but still.......

Nothing wrong with subjectivity in the right area. Nothing wrong with objectivity in the right area. Just don't try to use subjective evidence to determine whether water is boiling, or objective evidence to determine whether your child loves you, or just wants a cupcake. S/he loves you. Give him/her the cupcake anyway. ;)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Can you clarify what you mean by “problem with”?
theist seem to follow feel vs atheist follow logical reasoning.

Like, do you think atheism is combative towards the subjective? Or is it more like atheists have trouble appreciating or accepting the subjective?
i'm not trying to single either atheists out, or theists. i'm hoping to find a middle ground in this discussion.

I think you might have something here. But then I thought, I don’t think most theists would categorize their beliefs in god as subjective, but as an objective stance. So maybe their “problem with” the objective is that they don’t understand what is objective?
that is a good point.

we all have subjective issues that someone else might not be able to relate to. case in point: an adult survivor of abuse could relate to a military person with ptsd. we know some of the attributes of what ptsd are. but a military person and an adult survivor of abuse don't necessarily have the same triggers because of subjective causes/experiences.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As others have stated, this doesn't have much to do with atheism on the whole. However, I see what you are trying to get at.

I am an atheist, and not because of my atheism, but more due to my also being a skeptic, there are all kinds of things I recognize as being completely subjective. And I think the "problem" theists have with this notion is exactly that recognition. They want to claim objectivity, using completely subjective evidence. I refuse to recognize their evidence as pertaining to the objective, and they refuse to concede that (like a great many other things) their ideas are subjective. That's where my particular problem with theists tends to start.

I'm a theist and my views are completely subjective. I have no need to prove it to you. i think any discussion like this is more accurate if 'some' is placed in front of theist, and atheist. Both sides have ranges in how a person acts on it.

A Vestigial Mote

I'm a theist and my views are completely subjective. I have no need to prove it to you. i think any discussion like this is more accurate if 'some' is placed in front of theist, and atheist. Both sides have ranges in how a person acts on it.
I don't like it when people speak in absolutes either, so I apologize that I came across that way.