• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The word of God?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
No, they aren't atheists - authority is their god. They believe in the authority of god above all else; even their own beliefs and understandings. I've often heard folks say things such as "I have no problem with gay folks, but that lifestyle is a sin." Meaning, "There's no real observable harm in homosexuality by itself, but the word of god says it's a bad thing, so I default to that."

Edit: The interesting thing is that this authority they put so much emphasis on is in the authority of that particular interpretation. Makes it easy to just shut the brain off and not think about things too deeply and just accept things as "well, I guess that's just the way things are."
I replied to the phrase:
Why do some folks say things like "These aren't my views, they're God's,"
Your line is totally different. There they agree with God, allegedly having said "it is a sin". The one I replied to said they disagreed with God ('s View)

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I replied to the phrase:

Your line is totally different. There they agree with God, allegedly having said "it is a sin". The one I replied to said they disagreed with God ('s View)

Hmmm... I'm not quite seeing how they are totally different. By saying "it is a sin," they aren't saying they agree with god's view; they are saying that this is the nature of god's law: the nature of reality. It's god's will, but they don't have to agree with it.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Where did the idea that an individual's scripture is the word of God come from? For one, it might be the word of God to you and the members of your faith, but it isn't for others.

Why do some folks say things like "These aren't my views, they're God's," thinking falsely that somehow they're off the hook, because someone else said it? What's the psychology of this?

This leap in faith makes absolutely no sense to me.

Sometimes, its because the book says its Gods word.

But you have made a decision call already that this is "thinking falsely". Thus, this is a loaded question.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sometimes, its because the book says its Gods word.

But you have made a decision call already that this is "thinking falsely". Thus, this is a loaded question.

Hmmm... I'm curious, but are you a literalist when it comes to the Quran? If so, has there ever been any times when you've disagreed with or found moral dilemmas in what you perceived to be the correct interpretation of the Quran?

I know nothing of Islam, so I can only go off of what my understanding is as a former Baptist/Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian. Moral dilemmas are a pretty common thing for literalists in Christianity in relation to scripture.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Where did the idea that an individual's scripture is the word of God come from? .
From the extremists who were punting that scripture and their chosen translations and inclusions?

Deadly dangerous if any such theocracy should gain power over a people.

I mean, to question one word could lead to a death penalty. All opposers would be 'laying with Satan'.
*shivers*

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hmmm... I'm curious, but are you a literalist when it comes to the Quran? If so, has there ever been any times when you've disagreed with or found moral dilemmas in what you perceived to be the correct interpretation of the Quran?

Not yet really.

I know nothing of Islam, so I can only go off of what my understanding is as a former Baptist/Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian. Moral dilemmas are a pretty common thing for literalists in Christianity in relation to scripture.

Honestly, I dont think scripture should be read that way. But in this thread I am not willing to make any comments about Christians. Immoral people read "into" scripture what they please as well. Well, I dont want to go on a tangent.

Bird123

Where did the idea that an individual's scripture is the word of God come from? For one, it might be the word of God to you and the members of your faith, but it isn't for others.

Why do some folks say things like "These aren't my views, they're God's," thinking falsely that somehow they're off the hook, because someone else said it? What's the psychology of this?

Ok. Let's think about this for a moment. In order to survive, religions must have followers. How many followers would they actually have if they did not say they had the word of God? Very few I would say.

Religions also teach people to value Beliefs. They teach people to Accept. Heaven forbid if anyone should question God. God can send you to Hell. What is really being taught here? God? I think not!!

I can understand why people who are conditioned like this might get defensive and say take it up with God. This is all God's word. Why? Because God says so and everyone wants to please God.

God works on multiple levels with multiple views. Without a clear understanding of what is really going on, most would just be confused by a real conversation with God. Further, I haven't found anyone that really understands God nor can even come close to speaking as God does. If you think God is sending books or even telling anyone what to do, you clearly do not understand God at all.

It's all just a mixed bag. Interaction might cause a little drama, however it opens wider views to show new directions of learning, growing and understanding.

In a multilevel classroom, everyone has different lessons. Learning lessons around religion doesn't make one evil anymore than anyone learning lessons around anything.

Show your view with Love and Kindness. Give up the need to control or demand the views of others. When one understands all sides, Intelligence will make the best choices.

Love them, Show them, and set them free. God places knowledge and truth all around. God allows total freedom of choice. I think I'm going to copy God.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From the literalist Christian perspective? John has a lot to say on the matter.

John 1:1-3
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made."

John 1:14
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.'

John 14:10
"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works."

This is where Christian literalism finds it's authority of the bible as the word of god.
How does any one of those verses referring to Jesus translate into anything to do with the Bible? It doesn't say in the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God. Although I do know some Christians who think the Bible is the fourth person in the Trinity. ;)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So you don't believe in infallibility?

I believe God is infallible but we are not. It is for each of us to read the reality of our own lives as well as make sense of the sacred writings of our respective faiths. Any scripture requires consideration of the text as a whole while considering the cultural and historic context when the allegedly sacred writings were written. It is as straight forward or as black and white as some would claim.

Neuropteron

Hi,

Vinayake: Where did the idea that an individual's scripture is the word of God come from? For one,

It comes from Christ who stated "your word is truth".
From Paul " all [canonical]scriptures are inspired of God".

Vinayaka: it might be the word of God to you and the members of your faith, but it isn't for others.

The belief that there are many truth, is a philosophical concept that not everyone shares.
The fact that not everyone believes in something does not make it untrue.

Vinayaka: Why do some folks say things like "These aren't my views, they're God's,"

That's because they are giving credit to the Bible, instead of promoting their own ideas ,but rather giving evidence of scriptural authority.

Vinayaka: thinking falsely that somehow they're off the hook, because someone else said it? What's the psychology of this?

I understand that this view is based on the belief that individual have an accountability only to themselves and their actions are exclusively their sole responsibility.
For instance the Saivite Hindus generally have no ecclesiastical order, no unquestionable religious authorities, no governing body, no prophet(s) nor any binding holy book; They can choose to be polytheistic, pantheistic, monotheistic, monistic, agnostic, atheistic, or humanist.
Thus are accountable only to themselves.

I'm not criticizing this view, only pointing out that true Christians are different because they choose to obey and follow Christ.
It is an error to believe they quote him or his Father to "get of the hook", rather it's because they believe it to be true.

Vinayake: This leap in faith makes absolutely no sense to me.
I am at a loss to see a contradiction or a "leap of faith"here .

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Hi,

Vinayake: Where did the idea that an individual's scripture is the word of God come from? For one,

It comes from Christ who stated "your word is truth".
From Paul " all [canonical]scriptures are inspired of God".
Are you aware that the letters of Paul were in fact written by many different people?
Are you aware that when the letters were composed there was no New Testament nor a Christian Bible?
So how can you show that quote and assume that the author was referring to the Christian Bible or the "canonical scriptures"?

When you make some claim, you must use logic and reasoning or only a fundamentalist or other type of fool will listen to you.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I believe truth is found everywhere in every society. Every people have some remains of scripture - including Native Americans who call Angels Birds for example, although, it's really the same thing.
People then fall in love with the truth they have and since God's breathes differently with his Messengers in different people and cultures, people become use to the scripture and mode of truth they have from God and can't see that other revelations exist all around the world.

As for the Torah to the Gospels, a lot of it is corrupted but keep in mind the general theme and most of it is intact, and definitely from God. The wisdom is why we should rely on God's chosen ones who are God's word of light brought to life, exalted ones who are God's name as well, people like Seth (set by God) and Samuel (God's name). This and not to mix their leadership with delegating it to others like priests or Muslim scholars or any clergy or group of fallible people claiming to have their authority in guiding humans and being reliable ways of perceiving scripture.

This is the main thesis of the Bible and the Quran reinforces it. Neither Muslims nor Jews nor Christians, however, have perceived the most emphasized theme. The problem is we idolize humans and make God and his Messengers as a way to idolize leaders not appointed by God. This is the trap spoken about in the Torah as to what lead the generations of Noah to go astray, it was people naming themselves with this position that Samuel is given for example, and the other side of the equation is that they are idolized.